Beginning To Work Out ...

Hey, I need some expert help on a good plan to lose weight and build muscle, and an estimate of My potential.

I am 29, 5’ 4", and currently 190~ Lbs., and I know almost nothing of what to do, and especially diet wise, I don’t know what to change or what not to eat.

I need someone with major know-how to help Me figure out something I can do on My own, because unfortunately where I have started working out I don’t know anyone right now, and I can’t afford a private trainer yet. Thanks Guys!

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640350

That should get you started. Once you have specific questions in mind post up and ask.

Well, you’ve come to the right place. I could re-hash the basics again:

5-6 small meals per day
Focus on compound lifts
HIIT over steady state cardio
Natural food, not processed

etc., etc., blah, blah.

But your best bet is to start at the top on the beginner’s forum with Vroom’s “Are You a Beginner?” thread.

Start your training NOW. Start your diet NOW. You’ll have newbie success with any training and diet methods so get motivated and just do it. As you progress you can read all the great info here and modify your plans to suit your goals, abilities and limitations.

I also suggest you read the other sticky thread. T-Nation can be a bit hardcore and rough on the un-initiated. Just a word to the wise :^)

[/quote]HIIT over steady state cardio[/quote]

Not always the case, but before this breaks out into a cardio war, it’s really up to your preference.

Thanks Guys, I’m trying to get on the diet part of what I need to do, and the other non-working out stuff, and my biggest problem right now is getting to the gym every, what, day or other day, because I’ve been sick for a week.

If I go today or tomorrow though, should I exercise while sick or not? And try to only sleep 8 hours a day if I can, even if I’m really tired, or not? Because lack of energy is one of my biggest problems right now, along with some weird new back pain.

I know I need to learn to improve My posture, but I don’t know how to right now. I could use some help with that. Otherwise, I’ve
read a bit about some of what I need to do, but I don’t know how to translate it into actually learning how to do it. Thanks Guys!

In regards to posture, I think a good start is to Deadlift. Also, JUST LEARN(force yourself) to sit up properly.
This is what helped me so far(I’m just a beginner). Now I simply cannot stand the way I used to, it feels horrible.

But I don’t know if you should Deadlift give the possibility of a back problem. So I think getting that solved would be a good idea.

The other posters have given good advice and it sounds like you’re on the right track. If you look into getting a trainer to help you learn some exercises, find one that will teach you to squat, lunge, deadlift, bench, row, pull-down (or assisted pull-ups)and shoulder press.

These exercises and their variations will give you a solid base. Run from at trainer that wants to teach you tricep kickbacks

Regarding training while sick, I’ve read that a good guideline is if you symptoms are all above the neck, go ahead, otherwise rest.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Sincere questions on this forum will get you great advice

[quote]Kronoan wrote:
Thanks Guys, I’m trying to get on the diet part of what I need to do, and the other non-working out stuff, and my biggest problem right now is getting to the gym every, what, day or other day, because I’ve been sick for a week.

If I go today or tomorrow though, should I exercise while sick or not? And try to only sleep 8 hours a day if I can, even if I’m really tired, or not? Because lack of energy is one of my biggest problems right now, along with some weird new back pain. [/quote]

If you are sick and have the time to sleep more you should sleep more. Many Also, don’t think about training in terms of “a week,” start thinking long term.

Three most important aspects

1. Training
  2. Nutrition
  3. Rest/recovery

Don’t skip on the rest, especially if you’re sick. Hell, if I was sick and had the time I’d sleep all day ('course no one ever has any time)

[quote]

I know I need to learn to improve My posture, but I don’t know how to right now. I could use some help with that. Otherwise, I’ve
read a bit about some of what I need to do, but I don’t know how to translate it into actually learning how to do it. Thanks Guys![/quote]

What helped me was properly stretching and focusing on sitting properly. My body has always been really tight, but one exercise that has helped me is to sit on the floor, put my feet straight out ahead of me, toes up, flatten my back making an “L”, interlace my thumbs and reach up to the sky while “activating” my hamstrings (i.e. leaning forward slightly…but for me that’s normally just sitting up straight).

Good luck. Read Vroom’s post at the top of the beginners formum, then read it again (I did/am).

Hey Guys Thanks for Your replies. I’m better now, it was a sinus infection, but I didn’t work out and I got rest, so I think that was smarter. About My posture, I slouch as normal habit, so it’s going to be really hard to get used to it, but it sounds like GambitLost knows what I have to start practising until I get used to it, so I’ll start doing it, and I’ll let You Guys know if I have any difficulty with it.

Also, about the personal trainer thing, I even know that if I had someone like that helping Me, it’d be a great start. But the thing is, I still can’t quite yet afford to pay for one that charges what they usually do.

What I need is someone who I know or could meet who could do the same thing for free and maybe I could make it up to them in some other way, but unless I find that, it’s not going to be possible to get the help I need in that department, and it’s pretty difficult for someone like Me to do this all on My own, so it would make a big difference.

Thanks for Your time Guys, I’ll let You know how things are soon!