T Nation

Beginning TBT Question

Guys, I’ll apologize ahead of time if this has been answered before, as I searched for my answers, but couldn’t find them.

With TBT…

1. Should I gear certain workouts to bigger muscle groups? In other words, some workouts are 3 sets/5 reps, while others are 2 sets/15 reps. Or do I constantly rotate the workouts each time. So I do chest/back at 3 sets/5 reps this week, and 2 sets/15 reps next week? I know CW’s article says to constantly rotate, but I wasn’t clear on this.

2. How should I incorporate ab training? Should this be looked at as being outside of TBT?

3. I need to correct a few imbalances, mainly my rear deltoids and calves. Should I begin TBT, or focus on correcting the imbalances first? Reason being, I feel that by doing chest & shoulders, I’ll wind up adding to the imbalance.

Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1. Work your FULL body each workout. There is no chest/back split.

2. Your abs will likely be worked sufficiently through the big core lifts. i.e. Squats, deadlifts, power cleans, etc. If you really want to do more ab work, I’d add them in as one (or both) of your 2 isolation exercises for one/each workout.

3. Target your imbalanced muscles with the 2 isolation exercises in each workout.

One of the strong points of TBT is its versatility–you can place more or less emphasis on certain muscle groups depending on your specific needs, AS LONG AS YOU DON’T NEGLECT ANY MAJOR MUSCLE GROUP.

Therefore, every workout you should be working:

Back
Legs
Chest

Pick one (sometime two for legs) compound exercises for each of these muscle groups.

Use no more than two isolation exercises out of your six movements per workout–though you don’t have to use two. These two isolation movements can be used to “round out” your workout by hitting smaller muscle groups, such as arms, calves, etc.

I have been bringing up my delts, so each workout consists of a compound movement for each of the above major muscle groups, plus a compound movement for my delts (e.g., military press, upright rows, etc.). I then use the isolation exercises to hit arms, calves, more delts, etc.

Sometimes I may use five or even all six compound movements.

The movements you use for a particular muscle group should change WITH EVERY WORKOUT IN A GIVEN WEEK (then during the paired “antagonistic” training week you, of course, keep the same exercises).

Then during the next two-week training block you would again change the exercises (and their order) done for each muscle group EVERY WORKOUT.

Hope that helps,

Crowbar

[quote]SABmore wrote:
Guys, I’ll apologize ahead of time if this has been answered before, as I searched for my answers, but couldn’t find them.

With TBT…

1. Should I gear certain workouts to bigger muscle groups? In other words, some workouts are 3 sets/5 reps, while others are 2 sets/15 reps. Or do I constantly rotate the workouts each time. So I do chest/back at 3 sets/5 reps this week, and 2 sets/15 reps next week? I know CW’s article says to constantly rotate, but I wasn’t clear on this.

2. How should I incorporate ab training? Should this be looked at as being outside of TBT?

3. I need to correct a few imbalances, mainly my rear deltoids and calves. Should I begin TBT, or focus on correcting the imbalances first? Reason being, I feel that by doing chest & shoulders, I’ll wind up adding to the imbalance.

Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks![/quote]

Go to the original TBT article again and search through all the replies until you find where Chad outlines the first 4 weeks of the program with a sample workout plan. This should give you the right idea. If you want a full sample workout PM me with your email address and I will send you the spreadsheet I wrote for my own program, which I just finished up today. You can then adapt it for your own purposes, especially for the muscle groups you want to improve the most such as your rear delts.

I usually did abs on separate days, mostly before going for a swim on my cardio days but if you have the time or energy you can fit it in before or after your workouts, however as previously mentioned the big core compound exercises will work them really well. Try doing 3 sets of 18 lunges each leg (which I did in week 7&8) and tell me you are not using your abs to stabilise yourself…LOL!

Ben