Beginning HRT

My old man recently asked me about beginning HRT, he’s been weight lifting for years and is in his late 40’s.

I’m not terribly well versed in the real specifics of HRT.

Where’s a good starting point?

Is there something similar to the beginner’s sticky for HRT?

everything bushidobadboy said.

Additionally, although this is an old website, it has some good information. The “Find A Doctor” section might lead him to a doc in his area:

http://www.tuneupyourt.com/index.html

here also is the ADAM questionnaire which is a good place to start re figuring out if he is suffering from low Testosterone.

ADAM questionnaire about symptoms of low testosterone
(Androgen Deficiency in the Aging Male)

1. Do you have a decrease in libido (sex drive)?

2. Do you have a lack of energy?

3. Do you have a decrease in strength and/or endurance?

4. Have you lost height?

5. Have you noticed a decreased “enjoyment of life”

6. Are you sad and/or grumpy?

7. Are your erections less strong?

8. Have you noticed a recent deterioration in your ability to play sports?

9. Are you falling asleep after dinner?

10. Has there been a recent deterioration in your work performance?

I recently set up an appointment with a Doc that was on the ‘tune up your T’ website, but he is a urologist. I am looking for a doc that’ll be interested in helping me accomplish my goals of lean muscle mass.

How can I be sure that this is the guy? I’m not going to be run through some random tests, then be told no, will I, and how can I check on this guy’s past? I hate to be out of pocket then have this guy shoot me down, ya’know?

[quote]Edgy wrote:
I recently set up an appointment with a Doc that was on the ‘tune up your T’ website, but he is a urologist. I am looking for a doc that’ll be interested in helping me accomplish my goals of lean muscle mass.

How can I be sure that this is the guy? I’m not going to be run through some random tests, then be told no, will I, and how can I check on this guy’s past? I hate to be out of pocket then have this guy shoot me down, ya’know?[/quote]

If your T is below lab range norms you can get treated, otherwise probably not. A Doctor will do TRT, replacement of normal-high T levels, but will not want to exceed normal range as that is then not medical treatment, but suppying gear. With T levels restored, one can expect to gain muscle mass and loose fat. You may need to lower your estrogen. 17-20 is optimal. Levels in the higher 1/3 of normal range can kill libido, cause ED, mood problems, weight gain or inabiltiy to loose fat, lack of energy. So you need to get E2 levels tested as well as total T and free T.

You might have tyroid issues as well. Good to test at least once. But if you do TRT or TRT+AI and achieve your goals, then no need to worry about thyroid.

TRT causes testes to shrink and the scrotum to pull up tight to the body. A few also feel their testes ache. Injecting 250iu of HCG SQ EOD keeps the testes working and normal.

So when you approach a Doctor ask if they are also prescribing HCG and arimidex/anastrozole as part of their male TRT practice. Some do not. Some urologists and endo’s really refuse to do things right and don’t like guys explaining “their craft” to them… big egos. Finding a GP who has migrated to age-management is great because they are motivated by learning and love that work.