Beginning Again

Haven’t posted any diet info so far, so here goes for today’s:

Meal 1 (About 10am)
Scrambled Eggs (2 whole eggs, 2 egg whites)
Quaker Oats - 3/4 cup dry measure
1 Banana - cut up in oatmeal
1 Scoop 100% Whey Protein Mix (~24 g protein) in oatmeal

Meal 2
1/2 pound salmon (grilled)
1 cup mixed veggies
1/2 cup brown rice

Meal 3
~8 oz. chicken breast (grilled)
1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese
1/2 Avocado (with the cottage cheese inside – great snack by the way)

Meal 4
Grilled chicken breast
1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 cup of veggies

Meal 5
Grilled London Broil (~1/2 pound)
Spinach Ommelette (2 whole eggs, 3 egg whites, about 1/2 cup spinach)

Meal 6
1/2 scoop protein powder
1/2 cup cottage cheese

Totals:
Calories - 2,725
Protein - 311
Carbs - 158
Fat - 94

Ooooh, so clean. Feeling good today. Ready to hit the weights hard tomorrow with my buddy who’s a pretty big meathead himself. Most jacked Indian dude I know anyway. I’m going to see what my 1rm benchpress is tomorrow since I haven’t tested it out in about 2 years.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A good and bad day.
The good part:

I hit the weights with my friend who had done a full body workout regimen(sp?) before. My lower back felt good so I did some DB Deadlifts with low weight. I think if I start small and work up it will make my lwr back stronger and feel better. Anyway…

Benchpress
135 x 10 x 1
155 x 7 x 2

Smith Machine Pullups/Rows
BW x 12 x 3

DB Deadlifts
30 x 12 x 3

Squats
135 x 10 x 2
155 x 7 x 1

Probably the second time I’ve done squats in my life…and first time with someone showing me how to do them correctly. And HOLY SHIT did I feel it, especially in the hammies. It was great. I can’t wait to do them again.

The not so fun part:
I met with one of the trainers at my gym and she did a fitness evaluation on me. Apparently I’m not as fit as I thought I was…not even close. My resting pulse was like 82, and my flexibility is for shit, as is my posture. However, my pushup max was above average :smiley:

To correct these she showed me some core exercises that I had actually started doing like a week ago. I’m also going to try to keep good posture as much as I can. My shoulders are a little rounded so I need to keep them back and work out my back a lot more. I also got some good stretches to work on my flexibility.

Edit - Also learned my body fat percentage was 17.6% – about what I thought it would be

March 29, 2007

So I was working on my posture today. Ever since I had surgery on my left shoulder at age 15 i realized that my left pec was a little higher and pulled back than my right one. This is because the surgery I had on the left shoulder used one of the anterior shoulder muscles to pull back the joint and keep it there so the shoulder does not dislocate again. Therefore, to keep correct posture I need to pull back and down my right shoulder blade but keep my left as it is, as it is pulled back and down by the surgery already. My question is:
Does anyone with similar experience know exercises that I can do for my right shoulder (one that is rounded forward) that can help keep it pulled back and down more permanantly than having to consciously pull it back all the time. I can provide pics of the imbalance if necessary.

Also did 20 minutes of cardio today, keeping my heart rate around 180 to strengthen my cardio, since my BP and resting heart rate was a little high. I’m also noticing significant fat loss already, and increased muscle. I was more out of shape when I started than originally thought, but I’m making gains already, which is effin sweet. Just gonna keep doing what I’m doing and trying to increase the weight on the Total Body workouts.

bro meal 6 that wont last the walk to your bed lol might think of upping it thats not much to try and last all night or have something when you wake to take a leak

phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
bro meal 6 that wont last the walk to your bed lol might think of upping it thats not much to try and last all night or have something when you wake to take a leak

phill[/quote]

aite

[quote]MGreezy wrote:
Phill wrote:

phill

aite[/quote]

No it’s “aite den”.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
MGreezy wrote:
Phill wrote:

phill

aite

No it’s “aite den”.

[/quote]

aite dog :wink:

[quote]Phill wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
MGreezy wrote:
Phill wrote:

phill

aite

No it’s “aite den”.

aite dog ;)[/quote]

proper ebonics is “Aite, son”

then again, i’m white

Friday, March 30, 2007

Pretty good day. Aggravated my lower back lifting the bar when I was squatting, but it went away pretty quickly, which is promising. Stretching has helped a lot with my lower back strain, just in case anyone else has probs with that. Try stretching your hammies. A lot.

Also, while doing One-Arm DB Rows, I noticed my first vein pop out in my right bicep, which I haven’t seen in a while. I missed him. Glad to have him back. Now I just need to keep him there even after the gym. :smiley:

Squats
155 x 8 x 3

Full Body Shoulder Press
95 x 7 x 1
95 x 5 x 2

Benchpress
155 x 8 x 1
165 x 5 x 1
165 x 3 x 1

One-Arm DB Rows
55 x 10 x 1
70 x 10 x 2

Gironda Dips
BW x 10 x 2 (wrist started hurting on the second set)

Smith Pullups/Rows
BW x 7 x 3

Monday, April 2, 2007

Tried to increase my rows today, and it turned out well. Also maintained weight on other compound lifts while trying to successfully complete 8 reps each set. Wasn’t perfect but it’s getting better.

One-Arm DB Rows
75 x 10 x 2
80 x 8 x 1

Incline DB Press
55 x 10 x 1
65 x 7 x 1, 5 x 1

Full Body Shoulder Press (Barbell)
95 x 8 x 1, 7 x 1, 4 x 1

DB Deadlifts
45 x 15 x 1, 12 x 1, 10 x 1

Skullcrushers
60lbs BB x 12 x 1 (easy for the first time ever)
35lbs DBs x 6 x 2

Rear Delt Machine
60 x 10 x 1
90 x 8 x 2

Was a little nervous to try squatting today since I aggravated my lower back the last time picking up the bar off the rack, so I’ll wait until Wednesday to get back into that.

Other than that, the back felt good doing light weight DB Deads. All in all, a good day because I upped some weight and reps. Starting to see more of my traps in my double front bi pose, which is cool. Cardio tomorrow.

I saw a massage therpist today about my lower back pain. He says that it seems like it is just a spasm in the lumbar/psoas area, possibly a strain but probably not. Anyway, he said to go light on the weights for around 2 weeks after the pain subsides.

I plan to follow this, but I need some advice from you guys. I am currently eating a lot to gain muscle and up my lifting weight. However, during this down time, should I cut back on the calorie intake and try to maintain the lifting that I’m doing now? I’m not lifting crazy heavy stuff, but its not light either. If I subtract some of the weight that I’m currently lifting to prevent further injury, what kind of diet should I follow? Any advice would be appreciated.

April 9, 2007

Took a few days off to let the back heal up. It’s feeling pretty good today. I’m just gonna take it easy on lower back lifts and full range situps from now on. Should be fine.

Benchpress
135 x 10 x 1
155 x 10 x 1
175 x 4 x 1

One Arm DB Rows
65 x 10 x 1
75 x 10 x 1
80 x 8 x 1

Standing BB Shoulder Press
95 x 8 x 1, 5 x 2

3 sets each of Leg Extension/Curl Machines (I think 50-60 lbs)

3 Sets of dips x 10 + 15lbs

3 Sets of Hammer Curls @30lbs DBs

Nothing special about today. Good to get back into the gym. Bench is improving fast. 155 felt pretty easy for the first time in a while. Next short term goal is to get 8 reps of 175lbs.

April, Friday the 13th!!!, 2007

Didn’t post anything for the Wednesday workout, but it wasn’t anything special. I had to work lunch at my restaurant so I kind of rushed through it in the morning. Not great, not terrible. Thursday was 20 minutes of HIIT cardio on the elliptical, abs, and static core work.

I felt great today, and benched 185 for the first time since high school! And I got 3 reps up on my own. I’m definitely happy about that. I also did deadlifts with a barbell for the first time in about 4 months since my lower back is feeling great.

Bent Over DB Rows
65 x 10 x 1
70 x 10 x 1
80 x 6 x 1

Bench Press
155 x 8 x 1
175 x 6 x 1
185 x 4 x 1 (3 without spot help)

Deads
95 x 10 x 1
135 x 6 x 1
185 x 3 x 1

Bent Over DB Shoulder Raises (Lateral)
15 x 10 x 1
20 x 10 x 2

Decline Press Machine
70 x 5 x 3

Close Grip Bench Press
95 x 8 x 2
115 x 8 x 1

Been slacking with the posts recently, but Monday and then today were both good progressive workouts. Numbers went up a little each day. I will post numbers again on Friday.

Update pics: I’ve had a net gain of about 8 pounds since when I started seriously lifting about a month ago. Although, I’m not sure how much fat I lost, and muscle I gained. But I feel that I look a little better than when I started.

The gut is a little smaller, but I didn’t expect it to go anywhere since I’m trying to gain some good quality muscle…but I’m still white as hell. Apologies on that one (sunglasses are recommended).

Also, let me know if you think my left side (right side in the front double bi photo on-screen) is smaller than my right…mainly chest and lat. Can’t tell if I’m just being paranoid or not. If it is an imbalance, are there any articles you can recommend for balancing out? Also, I’m not too satisfied about how small my back looks. I guess more the lower lats than anything. Oh well, keep on truckin’.

back

No imbalance that I can see. You’re looking thicker in the shoulders and arms than you did in your very first post. Too early to worry about imbalances - just keep doing the work you’ve been doing and it’ll be fine.

However, be concerned if you start to look like Reggie in “The Lady in the Water.”

04/20/2007

DB Rows on Bench
75 x 10
80 x 8
90 x 6

Incline BB Bench Press
135 x 10
185 x 4
185 x 2

Squats
135 x 10
185 x 5
205 x 2

BB Upward Shoulder Press
95 x 8
105 x 8
105 x 5

Close Grip Benchpress
95 x 10
115 x 10
135 x 10

Rear Delt Rows (Rope attachment)
40 x 10
50 x 10
60 x 10

Good day. Started squatting again. Lower back felt pretty good…little sore right now, but not “bad sore”.

4/23/2007

I felt great today. Had lots of energy and got a good workout. The only thing that I could complain about is that my reps are kind of messed up on deads and squats…buttt then again, I just started really getting back into weight progression with them, so it was kind of expected as I find my groove.

Squats
135 x 10
155 x 6
175 x 4

DL’s
135 x 10
185 x 7
205 x 6

Face-pulls
150 x 10
160 x 8
170 x 6

Assisted Pullups (I suck at pullups btw) - did as many as I could

Flat BB Benchpress
135 x 10
185 x 6
205 x 2 (matched my PR for the first time in about 7 years)

Did some rear lat rope pulls and incline chest flies as well for a little isolation.

I’m looking for a little advice on a set/rep scheme here. Trying to gain size/strength right now. Do I even need one at this point? Thoughts/ideas are appreciated.

uhm try adding more volume? and variation?

Example:

Bench Barbell

135 x10
155 x10
175 x10
195 x 6-8

Or
135 x 10
175 x 5
175 x 5
195 x 3
225 x 3

• have a spotter give you that little 1-5lbs of assistance to finish out your sets and/or add more reps if you have the heart for it determined by each set and how bad you want to beat your face in.

Ever done some negatives afterwards?

After a good round of benching, up it:

example:
Such as 250lbs and do a 3-5 second eccentric/negative routine x1, x1, x1.

Usually I do 1-3 every couple weeks, I don’t put too much into them, just a little something to spice things up…

Also do a 3-4 set round of wide grip to the neck presses for chest width - don’t expect to load up as heavy :

find out with 135 x 10. ( recommendation spotter )

For your lower back, have you considered doing work to strengthen them?

1/2 mile jog, then 10x50 yard sprints, jog between sprints for 30-60 seconds or walk if your fitness level is not up to par yet. Walk when need be.

Add in : back extensions - unweighted x 30 reps ( 2-3 sets) you can make it harder by flexing your back and holding it at the peak for 1-2 seconds, controlled downward drop while maintaining tension on lower back.

• suggestion -

Good Mornings : start with just the bar, and work it up adding 20lbs per set, x 10 - easier to do bent leg version until your lower back strengthens.

Yoga back stretch : lie down on the ground place hands to either side at lower ribs/hips and lift yourself up with your hands so your back stretches and bands back… I forget the correct term for this, good to do toward the end or at the end of a workout.

Stiff-legged deadlifts, RDLs, try front squats, so you have less pressure on your lower back.

Just some suggestions, hope they help.

There’s a lot more you can do but yah change things up with grip, angle, rep, total raw volume, and use a spotter to help go harder and farther then you normally would without one.

oh and try this for a combination of warmup to test your strength and raise it progressively.

Test weight x 10 ( stop if it’s too easy on your first 2 reps and change to heavier weight )

will use bench as example :

135 x 10
155 x 8
175 x 4-6
195 x 2-5
225 x 2-5
250 x 2-5
275 x 2-3
305 x 1-3

I’m basing this off of your lift numbers.

Generally 4 sets is the minimum amount if you want to, get some reps in, raise the weight, and build up some good old fashion endurance :slight_smile: That is just an example nor do I say do 8-12 sets per excercise. Just the way I see you working out right now, it’s too much an attempt at least in benching, at trying to hit your max. While you need to build the basic elements of strength & endurance.