Beginners Running

Want to start doing CT’s The Running Man, however never done any kind of intense cardio before so any tips on how to break into running? e.g. what warmups, stretches do you all do, and any tips on nutrition before, during and after running?

Thanks in advance.

This will all depend on your goals.

What are your reasons for starting this type of training?

What are you trying to get out of it?

Well, just to reap the many advantages that cardio can offer. I have been weight training a few years, however I’d like to be able to just feel more athletic.

In that case I would stick to shorter distance. Sprint etc. Concetrating on max speed not endurance as long as not going for a sport that needs such. This will allow you to be Fast fit and Big. take a look at the physique of a sprinter as compared to that of a marathon runner.

Mix it up. Intervals, sled sprints, etc.

[quote]Phill wrote:
In that case I would stick to shorter distance. Sprint etc. Concetrating on max speed not endurance as long as not going for a sport that needs such. This will allow you to be Fast fit and Big. take a look at the physique of a sprinter as compared to that of a marathon runner.

Mix it up. Intervals, sled sprints, etc. [/quote]

Yes, but be careful. This is probably the kind of training you ultimately want to be doing. But you should work up to it by running a couple miles at a comfortable face a few times a week. You want to condition your joints and ligaments. Just as you really wouldn’t want to jump straight into 10x3s and training approaching your 1RM when you’ve never lifted before, you don’t want to start fast intervals when you haven’t run a step in years. That’s a sure recipe for disaster.

[quote]jackdaniels wrote:
Want to start doing CT’s The Running Man, however never done any kind of intense cardio before so any tips on how to break into running? e.g. what warmups, stretches do you all do, and any tips on nutrition before, during and after running?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Warmups: Stretching, calisthetics, 10 minutes of fast walking before you run.

Nutrition: Water before, during and after. Other nutrition depends on your goals (performance, cardio excercise, weight loss) but if you already have a sound diet, don’t change it. I would suggest carbs about an hour before training. Also, most don’t want to run on a full stomach unless you want to see your food again. If fat loss is not your goal, post running nutrition can be the same as post workout (carbs, protien, creatine if that is your thing).

As far as training goes, there are so many programs to choose from. Just start slow and ease your way into it. For me, it was best to start with a goal of time. I chose 25 minutes. I started alternated jogging and walking, and tried to decrease the time I spent walking over time. Once I got to 25 minutes of a steady jog, then I worried about pace.

I’d take the running very easy with very slow progressions (that can be charted) based on personal experience. There was a time when I did not run for almost a year, and when I went back to it BAM! injury. Maybe I pushed myself to far, or did not stretch enough, or did not warm-up enough, but it was probably do to the “rusty” running technique.

jsbrook has given the best advice, in my opinion. Basically do some running training. If you just flat out start sprinting you risk pulling your groin or having an abdominal strain (both of which I’ve had…maybe I’m just a dumbass, but still it sucks to have them both).

Also, look into jumping rope or heavy bag kicking and punching. Both are great ways to improve cardiovascular function. Do them together with your running until you’ve conditioned yourself to do all out sprints. A short time ago, I was doing some bodyweight unilateral leg work, and when I went back to running it was as if someone took a weighted vest off of me. Oh yeah, it was Don Alessi’s Morning Meltdown. So give it a shot, it might help.

-ton