T Nation

Beginner's Program: Opinions?

Hello everyone.

I'm 29 years old, 5'8" and 188lbs. I don't know my current BF%. I can somewhat see my upper abs without flexing. I carry most of my BF in the old spare tire. I am currently deployed to Iraq and have access to a decent free weight only gym. For the last three years I've done a lot of cardio and bodyweight exercises, but little lifting. Two months ago I began lifting in earnest. I've read a ton on this site about lifting and nutrition; it's really an amazing place. My goals are to get stronger and gain some defined mass. I've put on about eight lbs and look more cut, so I assume I've put on lean mass. I'm definitely not in the "Hard Gainer" category. Much more likely, I'm a FFB, maybe a Current Fat Body! Just depends on perspective. I don't think a majority of the people I know would say I'm fat, but I definitely need to lose some. I'll lay out what my nutrition is like and what my lifting program is. Let me know what looks wrong.

Any and all opinions are welcome. I'll post a pic eventually. My arms are around 16 1/2" and I estimate my Bench 1RM to be around 300lbs, maybe a little more. My squats suck. I'm just concentrating on form and go a little below parallel. Haven't really pushed enough on them though. My last sets on deadlifts are in the 250 lb range.

NUTRITION: I don't have tons of options here. Three meals are made available to me. Generally, there is at least one choice of meat, sometimes breaded sometimes not. There is a vegetable and a starch. I'm avoiding starches and trying to eat large amounts of the leanest meat available and whatever vegetables there are to get my carbs. A friend sent me a bunch of Grow! and some Alpha Male. Friends and family have sent me a variety of carb-laden snack foods that I keep in my room. Sometimes I give in and have some at night (terrible I know!). here's a typical day's eating:

Wakeup: two Alpha Male capsules

Meal 1: 8oz Coffee with artificial sweetener, four strips of bacon, a lot of eggs. I'm not sure on weight. They serve it with a large Ice Cream scoop. Somewhere around a very large handful

Meal 2: Two scoops Low-Carb Grow! with water

Meal 3: Leanest meat, as much as I can eat, usually about 10 oz, 1 Cup of vegetables (could be broccoli, mixed carrots/cauliflower, mixed peas/corn, peas)

Meal 4: Two scoops Low-Carb Grow! with water

2 Alpha Male capsules

30 min prior to WO I drink an 8oz cup of coffee with artificial sweetener

WO/PWO Drink: 1.5L water mixed with 2.12 oz gatorade mix and 5g Creating Monohydrate. I usually drink about half during the workout and half directly after.

Meal 5: Same as Meal 3. Maybe add some Grow! if the protein source is nasty or didn't eat enough

Meal 6: 2 scoops Low-Carb Grow! or a Grow! bar

Meal 7: same as meal 6 right before bed.

WORKOUT REGIMEN

I do a 3 days on, 1 or 2 days off cycle (this is easier here than a week schedule - I don't get days off, and weekends are the same as any other day). All of these are done with the maximum amount of weight that I can handle for the set. I couldn't tell you what % of 1RM most of it is. The program looks like this:

Day 1 Chest/Tris
Flat Bench
2X Warmup Sets
1X6
2X5
2X4
Incline Bench
2X6
2X4
Dumbbell Flys
2X6
2X4
Tricep Extensions
2X6
2X4
Dips
3X MAX (recently started trying to hold a dumbbell between my feet 30lbs)

Day 2:Legs & Shoulders
Squats
warmup
2X6
2X4
Calf Raises
4X8
Cleans
Warmup
2X6
2X4
1X2
Seated Military Press
warmup
2X6
2X4
Lateral Dumbbell Raises
2X6
2X4
Dumbbell Shrugs
3X max

Day 3: Back & Bis
Pull-ups (palms forward/shoulder width)
3X max to failure with spotter
Deadlifts
warmup
1X6
2X4
2X2
Bent Over Rows
warmup
2X6
2X4
Good Mornings
Warmup
2X8
2X4
Standing Barbell Curls
2X8
2X6
Seated Preacher Curls
2X8
2X6
Standing Dumbell Curls (I don't always add this in. It just depends on wither I think I need more)

Day 4 (5)
REST - Usually I rest one day, but sometimes if I get some joint pain, I'll take an extra rest day.

Next Day - Start Over

I used to do cardio after the weights for about 30 minutes on an elliptical trainer, but seemed like the gains weren't as good so I stopped. I'm seeing good progress in everything. That's to be expected since I haven't been lifting in a long time. I used to lift in my teens a lot.

I'm a newbie, and I welcome any comments or criticism you deem fit to post. Thanks for reading.

I've just started lifting again after a long lay off. I'm using Chad Waterbury's Basic Essentials work out.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459533

So far it rocks. I've been doing GPP instead of cardio using kettlebells, a sledgehammer, and some sandbags. I don't look a whole lot better yet, but I feel a shit load better.

As far as nutrition goes when I'm "traveling" I get my family to send an ass load of Tuna, whole wheat crackers, sardines, and smoked oysters to snack on instead of junk.

keep you head down and good luck with the work out.

I think it would be wise that you add some carbs in your brakfast...And alot. It will give you energy later on..

Thanks for the comments guys. Good tips for mailable, healthy food.

I think I'll post some pictures of our gym here. It's pretty good considering where we are. There are some competetive boards that people have put up in the gym as well. We have the arm size board (they put your last name on the measurment line of your biceps. Each size range has a different "gun" associated with it. i.e. ".50 Cal."), the Bench Press board from 250 to 450. And the "Super Stud" board for combined Deadlift/Squat/Bench by weight class.