Beginner's First Meet

I have only been training in a powerlifting manner for a few months now, I am currently 5’6 205lbs my lifts are DL:450 BP:340ish SQ:405 I know at this bodyweight I’m not competetive, but when should I attempt one? What totals for 198 are decent?

Do the next meet that is in your area and have fun with it, get some platform totals to go off of.

I think Ernie Lilliebridge has the all time record in that weight class at 1945. Aside from my own meet PR’s, thats the only number i care about.

I didnt have your numbers the first time I competed. I had mnyself talked out of the meet before it even started. Guess what happened? nobody made fun of me, everyone there yelled and screamed their heads off for each attempt and I had about 20 guys stronger than me help me with training tips, technique tips, meet prep recomendations. Nobody gave two fucks about my 405 squat! It was an awesome experience and I bet it will be for you as well

Man I hate when people say this shit. " Oh I do not want to compete until I am strong." I dont want to compete right now cause i’m weak." Get out of here with that stuff man. Have you not busted your ass to be where you are even if it is not where you want to be ultimately? Do you think you world record holders were world record holder the first time they stepped on a platform?

Can you Squat, Bench and Deadlift the 45 pound bar… because if you can then you are ready. You are a lot stronger than most 198ers at a local meet. Next, if that pro pic is recent you are not the leanest guy (not poking at you neither am I love food) But, you could pick a meet about 16 weeks out and easily diet down to 190 or so and then make a easy water cut down to 181 if you just really wanted a “better” total or wilks. However I think you need to just get under the bar and see what happens.

x2 on what they said. Powerlifting is a good way to get T-shirts. And, as has been stated many times, there are few other sports where you will find such a supportive atmosphere and good people. If you’re in the northeast U.S. check out Revolution Powerlifting. Gene and Ame Rychlak organize good meets.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Man I hate when people say this shit. " Oh I do not want to compete until I am strong." I dont want to compete right now cause i’m weak." Get out of here with that stuff man. [/quote]

I think what I was asking came off wrong lol, I wasn’t trying to be a whinny bitch, I was mainly curious about what totals were competitive at the amateur level in that weight class. I probably should have reread what I wrote and edited it appropriately.

[quote]david s wrote:
x2 on what they said. Powerlifting is a good way to get T-shirts. And, as has been stated many times, there are few other sports where you will find such a supportive atmosphere and good people. If you’re in the northeast U.S. check out Revolution Powerlifting. Gene and Ame Rychlak organize good meets.[/quote]

Revolution Powerlifting. Got it, thanks man! I will check it out. I’m sure my girlfriend wouldn’t mind traveling a little lol

[quote]rbpowers wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:
Man I hate when people say this shit. " Oh I do not want to compete until I am strong." I dont want to compete right now cause i’m weak." Get out of here with that stuff man. [/quote]

I think what I was asking came off wrong lol, I wasn’t trying to be a whinny bitch, I was mainly curious about what totals were competitive at the amateur level in that weight class. I probably should have reread what I wrote and edited it appropriately. [/quote]

It doesnt matter. Stop looking for a trophy and start going up against your self. Put up the best total you can and then next meet make it a bigger total and repeat the process over and over and over and over. If you get a trophy along the way great if not who cares most of mine I havent taken out of the box.

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]rbpowers wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

I think what I was asking came off wrong lol, I wasn’t trying to be a whinny bitch, I was mainly curious about what totals were competitive at the amateur level in that weight class. I probably should have reread what I wrote and edited it appropriately. [/quote]

It doesnt matter. Stop looking for a trophy and start going up against your self. Put up the best total you can and then next meet make it a bigger total and repeat the process over and over and over and over. If you get a trophy along the way great if not who cares most of mine I havent taken out of the box.[/quote]

I second this. Knowing what is a competitive total is of no value, as you only have YOUR total. The only time this matter is if you can’t come to terms with not winning something. Otherwise, go out there, put up YOUR total, and get better.

Thirded, fourthed, fifthed, etc.

There’s a meet in Lexington in February I’ll be doing. Come do that one since you live here too. You won’t be competitive in your first meet if there’s any quality competition, so there’s no need to worry about it.

My first meet after knee surgery was a push/pull where I ended up benching 370 and deadlifting 530 with a knee wrap on my bad knee. My numbers sucked and I bombed the 400 bench I was looking for twice…which made me train like a maniac for 5 months and put 40 pounds on each the next time out.

Like reed said, screw everyone else. Go out and get better every time.

[quote]rbpowers wrote:
I was mainly curious about what totals were competitive at the amateur level in that weight class. [/quote]

Only 1 way to find out… and it isn’t by asking the internet.

Do a meet.