T Nation

Beginner Wants to Train Everyday

Last year I gave an overweight friend some diet and exercise advice and through a calorie deficit and cardio he was able to drop from 210 pounds to 130 in less than a year. He now is expressing an interest in bulking up. He got a gym membership last week and has been going to the gym everyday at 5 in the morning before school and on saturdays and sundays. The dedication is defintely there.

I asked him what type of program he was doing and he literally said he does benches and curls and abs everyday. He also said he tries to squat often. As you can see he doesnt really know what to do. I showed him Starting Strength and he was very against only training 3 days a week. Despite my best efforts he couldnt accept that less work could equal better results.

He also said that going to the gym in the morning was the only thing he looked forward to all day.

So my question is: Is there a good training program for the absolute beginner that would have him in the gym like 6 days a week? His goal is hypertrophy by the way.

Thanks

FUCKING HELL, you should be proud of any help you gave to achieve that huge weight loss!

Sure there is. He could split his body six ways - for example,

1. Quads/glutes (squat based day)
  2. Chest (bench based day)
  3. Upper Back/Lats (chin/row)
  4. Ham/Calves (deads, RDLs, leg curls, etc)
  5. Arms (bi and tri work)
  6. Shoulders (delt/trap stuff)
  7. OFF
    2-3 exercises per group, 3-4 sets, vary reps from exercise to exercise in the 5-12 rep range generally.
    Basic stuff. It works and is easy to sort out.
    What he’s doing - the same movements day after day, or with minimal recovery, is all wrong, for any level of experience - that or he isn’t working hard enough. A split like the one above will have him hitting a group very hard and directly every seventh day, with some secondary stress due to inherent overlap between exercises, every several days (bi’s get worked also on back day, tris also on chest day, you get some overlap between quads and hams on their days, and so on). Works for millions upon millions . . . .

[quote]cutbackcoach12 wrote:

7. OFF
    2-3 exercises per group, 3-4 sets, vary reps from exercise to exercise in the 5-12 rep range generally.
    What he’s doing - the same movements day after day, or with minimal recovery, is all wrong, for any level of experience - that or he isn’t working hard enough. A split like the one above will have him hitting a group very hard and directly every seventh day, with some secondary stress due to inherent overlap between exercises, every several days (bi’s get worked also on back day, tris also on chest day, you get some overlap between quads and hams on their days, and so on). Works for millions upon millions . . . .
    [/quote]

I was always under tge impression that that type of split was for the more advanced trainee. Or am I wrong?

Big Beyond Belief has a 6x split. Hits every BP 3x a week, really good for beginners IMO when strength is low enough that you can recover in 2 days from benching. I’d suggest that

I’m barely past beginner but I you suggest you want to keep the enthusiasm going rather than forcing down a particular route just yet. I was told to start an all body thing which I did for a bit (which actually got my body used to weights) and then I transferred to compound movements.

Also - Given his amazing weight loss, it might well be tricky to persuade him to get big you need to eat big. But give it time.

I think a newbie can do an A/B split, doing each 3x a week. I did it and made o.k. gains in strength and physique.

Basically looked like this-

A-
Squat
OHP
Assistance exercises-
DB curls
Core exercises

B-
Bench/Dips
Dead-lift
Assistance exercises-
DB Rows
Chin-ups

Did that for about three months back in July-Sept.

Gains were-
Squat-155 to 210.
Bench-95-150.
OHP-65-100.
Dead-lift-230-310.

Went from having a pudgy, skinny-fat physique to very little bf anywhere besides on the stomach that I think was loose skin than anything. Visible muscle gains in just about every part of the body besides my tricep/bicep.

I generally felt beat-down by Sat, but recovered enough to redo everything from the Sunday off. Ate only a moderate surplus, if that. Eventually went to dead-lifting 2x a week instead of 3x when I broke 300 though.

Have him try it. After a while he’ll probably learn that less is more and go onto more established programs.

kid is going to be really sad that he has all that drive and desire and completely frayed joints from overtraining…

tell him to slow his roll or he’s gunna have to stick to watching bodybuilding videos on youtube for months at a time…

that being said…

1. Chest/shoulders (no flat barbell benching, no benching on traditional decline bench)
  2. Back/calves
  3. off
  4. Chest/back (pump/feel workout, machine-oriented)
  5. arms
  6. legs
  7. off

eat, sleep, stretch + foam roll

[quote]Brian14 wrote:

[quote]cutbackcoach12 wrote:

7. OFF
    [/quote]

I was always under tge impression that that type of split was for the more advanced trainee. Or am I wrong?
[/quote]

At that low volume and his beginner intensity, there won’t be anything advanced about it. It’s just splitting - dividing a weeks worth of beginner level volume in basic work over the six days he wants to lift. Advanced lifters do 5 and 6 day splits with more like 4-6 exercises and 4-6 hard sets each ( or more). That much would burn him out in short order. The best advice you could give him is to learn basic, staple exercises and do them properly, with manageable (lighter) loads until he knows what he’s doing - if he cannot lift effectively and safely, no program works.

The technique vids on this site would be a good place for him to spend a couple of hours. Your advice about Starting Strength was solid - though again he needs to learn or be taught squats, deads, presses, not to mention power cleans - but if he is insistent on six days, at least get him to spread it out and get enough recovery in there so that he has some chance of sticking with it - or figuring out that 3-4 days per week is enough.

Just do push, pull, legs.

Although the way I would do it is:

Push
Legs with deadlift variation.
Pull
Off
Repeat.

With this split he can still concentrate on all the basic lifts and gain strength.

I agree with push pull legs off with each day built around a heavy compound.

ie

Push 1 Bench 3x5
Pull 1 Deadlift 3x5 or 1x5
Legs 1 Squat 3x5
off
Push 2 OHP/Military Press 3x5
Pull 2 BB Rows 3x5
Legs 2 Squat or Front Squat 3x5
off
repeat

Then include other movements to target mucles that aren’t be hit heavily by your primary lifts of the day.

Couldn’t you just split up SS and throw in the agile 8 to fill out the routine?

M- Squats, Pull-ups
T- Bench, accessory (DB suppine rolls or something)
W- Squats, Deads
R- OHP, abs
F- Squats, Chins
S- Bench, accessory (back extensions, etc.)
S- Rest

If he needed more, 20 min. inclined walking or something

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
kid is going to be really sad that he has all that drive and desire and completely frayed joints from overtraining…

tell him to slow his roll or he’s gunna have to stick to watching bodybuilding videos on youtube for months at a time…

[/quote]

Many hard physical culturists who have lived and died before us would lol at the above remarks.

[quote]Angus1 wrote:
Just do push, pull, legs.

[/quote]
Yup

Here’s an option that is a little different. Have him do conditioning work like farmer’s walks and such on “off” days from lifting, but with the caveat that they will make him stronger. You could also have him practice form on off days with a broom stick, that’s what I like to do at least.

how about basic push/pull routine.

The prime example of dose response.

Yeh, I think some people have posted it already but just get him to split the bodyparts down further so like chest tris one day, legs one day, back and bis one day, shoulders one day abs one day. But if i’m being honest that’s A LOT of work, he’s much better training 3 days a week and will see much better results through doing this than training nearl everyday, not to mention the fact that that’s absolutely knackering!