T Nation

Beginner Wanting a Good Phsique

Hello,

Joined this site to ask for help here.

I am new o the lifting game, and honestly I joined in to get a nice physique that I am proud off. No, it’s showing off girls but more of a personal accomplishment. I will be graduating by the end of this year, and I thought why not get a nice body to be proud off?

Anyways I have been researching some of the workout programs, and the recommendations here are strength first, muscle second. Now I will admit, I am not a strength obsessed(flame me) but I WILL DO what’s needed if it means reaching my goal faster. I am interested in this one program by JasonDB 5x5.

Workout A
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5
Barbell Shrug 3x8
Skullcrusher 3x8
Chins 3x5-8
or Striaght Bar/Incline Curl 3x8
Hyperextention 2x10
Kneeling Cable Crunch 3x10-20

Workout B
Squat 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Standing Press 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5 -10%
CGBP 3x8
Straight Bar or Incline Curl 3x8

I realize this is strength program, but strength is beaten down to every beginner here. Should I honestly do that? Diet is the biggest part(80%) and I have done my homework enough to fix that.

It looks like a hell of a lot of volume.
Also workout B has you doing Squats, Deadlifts then Barbell Rows which together will be a lot of strain on your lower back. Some people have trouble doing BB rows after deads. One Arm Dumbell Rows on the other hand take the strain off your lower back.

I would drop a few exercises and switch a couple around.
Purely based on your current program I would do something like this:

Workout A
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5
Straight Bar or Incline Curl 3x8

Workout B
Squat 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Standing Press 5x5
Chins 3x8-10
Rope Push Downs 3x8-10
Calf Raises 3x15

Skull crushers are hard on elbows so I would go with something like Rope pushdowns. You aren’t after strength on this it’s more about getting a good squeeze and pump.
Ive would also add calf raises as I believe it’s important to not let them lag behind. It will also help you with your squatting and creates good ankle mobility .

Im on my third week of Jason DB’s 5x5

Yes the volume is a lot but you get used to it. It’s a great routine.

@Angus, I don’t like what you’ve done.

You took out Hyperextensions for the lower back but leave curls? Other than that the only other thing you took away from workout A is shrugs which imo you should keep.

CGBP is also better than Rope Push Downs for Workout B as it helps you with your bench press progress, Barbell Row should be kept as well even with it I don’t feel like i’m taxing my back enough.

None of the changes you made are optimal in my opinion, JasonDB has it set up much better.

OP if you want to reduce volume take away the arm accessory work but don’t be surprised if youre arms are slightly lagging behind

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:

You took out Hyperextensions for the lower back but leave curls? Other than that the only other thing you took away from workout A is shrugs which imo you should keep.

CGBP is also better than Rope Push Downs for Workout B as it helps you with your bench press progress, Barbell Row should be kept as well even with it I don’t feel like i’m taxing my back enough.

None of the changes you made are optimal in my opinion, JasonDB has it set up much better.

OP if you want to reduce volume take away the arm accessory work but don’t be surprised if youre arms are slightly lagging behind[/quote]
I was looking at it from a complete beginners point of view.
Hyperextensions and shrugs just aren’t necessary.
CGBP is one of the best tricep exercises no doubt but it’s another compound lift which is CNS dependant and not necessary for a beginner?
Rope pushdowns are a quick and easy isolation exercise with no CNS fatigue. They provide a squeeze and pump which IMO is good for elbow health. Also the only thing a complete beginner needs to do to help with his bench press is actually bench press.
I left in curls as most people want good biceps and 3 sets of curls wont cause CNS fatigue.

Ampedlift, how is the program going for you? Are you seeing gains/changes?

So should I do this then for the look? Honestly if it gets me to have an awesome physique, I will start with it. I don’t want to waste time so if anyone has other ideas/recommendations please join in.

[quote]Angus1 wrote:

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:

OP if you want to reduce volume take away the arm accessory work but don’t be surprised if youre arms are slightly lagging behind[/quote]
I was looking at it from a complete beginners point of view.
Hyperextensions and shrugs just aren’t necessary.
CGBP is one of the best tricep exercises no doubt but it’s another compound lift which is CNS dependant and not necessary for a beginner?
Rope pushdowns are a quick and easy isolation exercise with no CNS fatigue. They provide a squeeze and pump which IMO is good for elbow health. Also the only thing a complete beginner needs to do to help with his bench press is actually bench press.
I left in curls as most people want good biceps and 3 sets of curls wont cause CNS fatigue.

[/quote]

Another reason CGBP is in Workout B is because the chest is getting quite neglected prior to that. I personally replace skullcrshers with pushdowns cause I like rope pushdowns better.

Hyperextensions are good they’ll help you out w/ deadlifts

[quote]Jeffisgone wrote:

So should I do this then for the look? Honestly if it gets me to have an awesome physique, I will start with it. I don’t want to waste time so if anyone has other ideas/recommendations please join in.[/quote]

I did 1-2 months of a 5 day split and got nowhere really because I wasn’t progressively overloading.

In the 3 weeks I’ve been on JasonDB’s my bench has gone from 95 to 140lbs, squat from 135 to 180, and dl from 135 to 185.

I’ve also gained 3 lbs (1 lb / week, the optimal amount). So I can only say good things, everything has been going as planned. I don’t really see changes in my body but its only been 3 weeks.

If you want to gain a good amount of mass / strength a 5x5 like jasonDB’s is definitely recommended.

If you check my post history you’ll see not even a month or two ago I was posting saying I only care about aesthetics. That is still my main goal but i’ve realized I won’t be truly aesthetic unless I actually have muscle mass to show off. I don’t want to be 140 lbs with abs and no strength.

Marathon not a race, gotta remember that. If your lifts are progressing, surely youre body is as well.

If you are a complete beginner (or close to it)you could make good progress with something as simple as this:

you could obviously switch up the sets/reps to 5X5 or 4X6-8 if you’re interested in strength over size. And core work you can add in every other day or every day you work out.

Good luck man make it happen

[quote]Jeffisgone wrote:

So should I do this then for the look? Honestly if it gets me to have an awesome physique, I will start with it. I don’t want to waste time so if anyone has other ideas/recommendations please join in.[/quote]

I will never understand how people can look at any decently structured program and call it a waste of time. It’s as if beginners can’t grasp the idea that strength and size are not mutually exclusive.

Eat right, lift with intensity and regularity, and you can make any program work for your goals. Diet is a much more important variable than the specifics of a training program.