T Nation

Beginner Supplementation

I lift regularly but do not use supplements. The reason is there are so many that do similar things that I don’t know which ones to use. I am trying to cut body fat but do not want to lose muscle mass. What would be the best supplements to use to meet this goal?

[quote]scorp6711 wrote:
What would be the best supplements to use to meet this goal?[/quote]

Food, weight lifting and intelligent use of cardio.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
scorp6711 wrote:
What would be the best supplements to use to meet this goal?

Food, weight lifting and intelligent use of cardio. [/quote]

As long as you really know what you’re doing with your diet and training, HOT-ROX and Methoxy-7 are great choices.

Don’t waste your time with them unless you really know how to eat, though.

Low-Carb Grow! is a staple for me. Examine your diet, see how much quality protein in grams you’re getting per day. Most people don’t get enough so take care of this first.

Surge after training is another great choice. You can read all the details about those on this site.

Hell Yeah, I second Dave2. And Professor X’s advice is priceless… I wish I had learned about Low-Carb Grow! and Surge when I first started out, and nothing replaces good old fashioned work.

TC wrote an aricle called “The new supplement pyramid” that basically sets up a hierarchy for which supplements you should take… The idea revolves around the fact that you should be… Whatever, here’s the link:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=462238

Good Luck

Kyle

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:

As long as you really know what you’re doing with your diet and training, HOT-ROX and Methoxy-7 are great choices.

Don’t waste your time with them unless you really know how to eat, though.[/quote]

The title of this thread is BEGINNER supplementation. A beginner shouldn’t use jack shit but protein powders and multivitamins…if that. In fact, if they are much below 200lbs, they may not even need the protein. Someone weighing 150lbs shouldn’t have much trouble getting enough from food intake alone. Creatine is even a stretch because they don’t understand how to make their body do what they want it to on their own. HOT-ROX for a beginner? How about he learns how to diet first without losing a ton of muscle along with any weight loss? Once he gets that down, supplements can help the process. Someone with no experience will simply waste 40-50 bucks thinking it takes the place of experience.

The first place a beginner should look is to their food intake and training regimine. If they are making positive changes, then a supplement meant to boost any effect may help. If they can’t even get that down on their own, supplements have the potential to actually set them back because they never learn how their body reacts naturally without any “help”.

ChrisKing wrote:

Don’t waste your time with them unless you really know how to eat, though.

The title of this thread is BEGINNER supplementation. A beginner shouldn’t use jack shit but protein powders and multivitamins…if that. In fact, if they are much below 200lbs, they may not even need the protein. Someone weighing 150lbs shouldn’t have much trouble getting enough from food intake alone. Creatine is even a stretch because they don’t understand how to make their body do what they want it to on their own. HOT-ROX for a beginner? How about he learns how to diet first without losing a ton of muscle along with any weight loss? Once he gets that down, supplements can help the process. Someone with no experience will simply waste 40-50 bucks thinking it takes the place of experience.

The first place a beginner should look is to their food intake and training regimine. If they are making positive changes, then a supplement meant to boost any effect may help. If they can’t even get that down on their own, supplements have the potential to actually set them back because they never learn how their body reacts naturally without any “help”.[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree with your advice. I don’t know about offerring different supplements to people when they are not only beginners, but don’t know their individual needs in regards to health, physique, etc…

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
Professor X wrote:
scorp6711 wrote:

Food, weight lifting and intelligent use of cardio.

Don’t waste your time with them unless you really know how to eat, though.[/quote]

This is some good advice Scorp, Like it’s been said, make sure you got your nutrition down.

The first two to three weeks you don’t need any supplements. Your body will do a good job of burning fat on it’s own(if your nutrition is right). After the initial three weeks, your body starts adapting to your lowered calorie intake. It’s around three to four weeks when most people hit a plateau. Around this time, I personally add cardio sessions to my workouts. My cardio consists of HIIT sessions on non-weight lifting days. For me this stimulates my metabolic process, for another two more weeks. So on the sixth week is when I start to use supps, that’s when I need another boost. The supps I use are either Methoxy-7 and HOT-ROX (I used the older version of HOT-ROX), or 4-AD-EC and HOT-ROX. If the older version of HOT-ROX kicked ass, I can’t wait to try the Maximum Strength HOT-ROX. Good luck Scorp! I almost forgot, you could start using something like Methoxy-7 at the beginning. This will help preserve muscle as you start to diet down.

I don’t know how you connect beginner status with weighing under 200 lbs. Some guys want to only weigh 180-190. I myself never wanna see 180. Its just plain too big on my frame. That and I’d rather stay in single digit body fat.

Beginner, intermediate etc. is more based on your weightlifting age and know how than what you weigh. IE Theres plenty of fat guys over 250 who’re complete beginners and just cutting down on the cheeseburgers will make a world of difference.

That being said. I recommend the same stuff. Plenty of people get down into the single digits with just hard work and a good number in the pretty darn low area (7 or lower) for extended periods. Stick with sets of sprints instead of slogging it out for 5 miles on the treadmill. It’ll also help your wheels look better. I’d buy most supps based on price on whether they’re from a reputable company or not. But that shouldn’t be a real worry for you now.

Good advice from everyone, however…
I think the people that have responded are reading this wrong. The original poster said that he lifts regularly and is a beginner w/ SUPPS. Therefore, for all we know, he is in the intermediate-advance category. Scorp, if I am reading this wrong, just do as Prof X and some of the others are saying. But if you are not new to lifting, then you can definitely give some supps. a try. For sure…Low-Carb Grow! and Surge. And as said by everyone else, IF your diet in on track, then you can look into other supps like HOT-ROX.

GL,

Danny

[quote]Dboy wrote:
Good advice from everyone, however…
I think the people that have responded are reading this wrong. The original poster said that he lifts regularly and is a beginner w/ SUPPS. Therefore, for all we know, he is in the intermediate-advance category. Scorp, if I am reading this wrong, just do as Prof X and some of the others are saying. But if you are not new to lifting, then you can definitely give some supps. a try. For sure…Low-Carb Grow! and Surge. And as said by everyone else, IF your diet in on track, then you can look into other supps like HOT-ROX.

GL,

Danny[/quote]

Agreed. “Beginners supplementation” may mean that he’s new to supplements, not diet and training. He obviously needs to get the basics with nutrition and training covered first, but he may have already done so.

You should prolly diet and excercise right…i didnt even think about taking supplements after a year of lifting and then i only took protein and vitamins and i thought i was all technical and what not…

Supplements don’t do shit unless you provide a proper base for them to work under. Get that part down first…

scorp6711 wrote:

Food, weight lifting and intelligent use of cardio. [/quote]

Amen…

Everyone… Thanks for the advice. Dboy is correct. I have been lifting steady for a year and a half. I am down with my diet…6 meals throughout the day, lots of water and the occasional protein drink to ensure I am getting enough protein for my 5’9" 245 pound frame. I am in the military so I do plenty of cardio so that I can pass my physical fitness tests. My confusion is mainly with the products on this site. As far as body fat goes I would love to get into the single digits but would be happy in the mid teens. Again thanks for the advice.