T Nation

Beginner Strength Routine

I am planning on using one of the beginner 5x5 routines as it did provide results in the past. I used to read a hell of a lot into strength training, body building et cetera when I was really getting into Gym which included reading quite a few (e)books such as Wendler's 5/3/1, Westside Barbell and the core principles which were made clear throughout. Unfortunately, I did not continue with Gym which is something I honestly do regret though it was out of my control; I am not to 'in-the-know' any more so I have to slowly get back into things.

With this routine I was thinking of complimenting it with a few assistant exercises though I am unsure of how many sets I should be doing on top of the main movements as well as what particular exercises I should be doing. I do not want to have an overload in volume and my aim is to get stronger.

Though I am confident I can push more weight, I will be taking all the numbers back so I can get the form down pat and get going again. The routine I have planned so far is below ~ I have paid the Gym membership and will be beginning at 5:30AM sharp tomorrow. :slightly_smiling:

My main weaknesses are grip and my arms in general, core strength and pulling strength so over this time I would like to be improving upon these as well.

Weight: 86kg
Height: 180cm
Current Goal: Strengthening

1: Workout A
2: Abdominals, Calves & Cardiovascular
3: Workout B
4: Abdominals, Calves & Cardiovascular
5: Rest[?]

Day One: Workout A
Squat, Bench & Row

Pressing Power Movement: Squat
(3) 5 sets of 5 reps
Pressing Power Movement: Bench
(3) 5 sets of 5 reps
Pulling Power Movement: Row
(3) 5 sets of 5 reps

Assistance Pressing Movement: Incline Leg Press
5 sets of 10 reps
Assistance Pulling Movement: Kroc Rows
(3) 2 sets of Maximum Reps

Assistance Pulling Movement: BB Shrugs
5 sets of 20 reps
Assistance Grip Movement: Static BB Holds
5 sets to Failure

Day Three: Workout B
Squat, Press & Deadlift

Pressing Power Movement: Squat
(3) 5 sets of 5 reps
Pressing Power Movement: Press
(3) 5 sets of 5 reps
Pulling Power Movement: Deadlift
(3) 1 set of 5 reps

Assistance Extension Movement: Good Mornings
5 sets of 10 reps
Assistance Pulling Movement: Kroc Rows
2 sets of Maximum Reps

Assistance Pulling Movement: BB Shrugs
5 sets of 20 reps
Assistance Grip Movement: Static BB Holds
5 sets to Failure

Do I need to include any more for the other muscle groups especially the muscle groups I found were my weakest area?

I would appreciate any help on these two parts of the routine.

Cheers,

Haydn.

What are your lifting numbers?

And why no pull/chin-up?

You don't mention how you intend on progressing these exercises, but the main lifts you have outlined is the Stronglifts 5x5 program. As far as assistance, I would second that you need to be doing some pullups or chinups. Hitting barbell shrugs and grip individually every workout seems like overkill. Most people don't have weak upper traps. Grip is going to get hit with deadlifting, rowing, and pullups that you should be doing.

I don't know that you need calves twice a week.... your cardio should cover that.
Might want to look into some hamstring work for assistance