Beginner Sprinting Program?

As a fat, overweight beginning power lifter, I want to start a simple sprinting program.
8-10x 60m. dash,
rest interval = walking back/1-2min.

Thoughts/recommendations?

Why 60m?

Are you actually going to sprint at 100% effort for each of those 60m?
Beginning with all out 60m sprints is a good way to pull a hammy. That particular distance is the powerlifting equivalent of saying “i’m going to start a simple lifting program starting out at 8-10 sets of singles at 100% of my RM”

60m at 100% is extremely intense. If you are going to do them I would start out slower(85%) Otherwise a common method for increasing the intensity but not necessarily the volume of the runs in the track world is to perform a run of 60m with limitations. Such that an acceleration limit is set.

Example:

Set cones 10m from starting line and 60m end point. Start and accelerate from 0 to 10 meters at maximum effort. Whatever speed reached at 10m MAINTAIN (do not continue to accelerate) that speed and finish the rest of the run till 60m.

The next week place cones at 20m and 60m. Now you accelerate out till 20m, whatever speed you reach maintain and do not run faster till 60m.

Keep in mind most folks on here should probably use 5m increments as they will probably reach top speed around 30 maybe 40m. Just like in lifting where time is spend getting closer to maximum weights, it is necessary to apply similar concepts in sprinting especially in consideration of the huge limb velocities and by extension the potential for injury.

What is your ultimate reason for implementing sprinting?

There are two schools of thought: Short to long, Long to short.

Have you tried hills?

Without knowing what your reasons for sprinting are no one can really give much advice other than whatever your goal is you won’t reach it following that routine…Unless your goal is failure and/or injury.

Since you stated you were fat it would seem you are trying to get leaner. Think diet first. You sprint or do hard running in order to get faster or get into better condition and not to make up for a poor diet.

Coach Romaniello has a good sprint program until the articles section of this site. It ranges from beginner to advanced try there.

Your not going to pull a hamstring sprinting 50-60m.

[quote]Field wrote:
Your not going to pull a hamstring sprinting 50-60m.[/quote]

Really? Sprinters have pulled hamstrings coming out of the blocks.

[quote]shibboleth wrote:
Coach Romaniello has a good sprint program until the articles section of this site. It ranges from beginner to advanced try there. [/quote]

If you are referring to the 6 week sprinting solution that was one of the worst articles ever written here. He presented a workout that no human could ever perform. An all out 20 second sprint followed by 10 seconds rest, repeat? That’s like telling Usain Bolt to rest 10 seconds after setting a 200m record and then repeat that feat.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:
Without knowing what your reasons for sprinting are no one can really give much advice other than whatever your goal is you won’t reach it following that routine…Unless your goal is failure and/or injury.

Since you stated you were fat it would seem you are trying to get leaner. Think diet first. You sprint or do hard running in order to get faster or get into better condition and not to make up for a poor diet. [/quote]

I should have been more clear. Of course, I want to lean out. But my main reason to pick up sprinting is just to be better conditioned.

[quote]ctaylor3 wrote:
Why 60m?

Beginning with all out 60m sprints is a good way to pull a hammy. That particular distance is the powerlifting equivalent of saying “i’m going to start a simple lifting program starting out at 8-10 sets of singles at 100% of my RM”

60m at 100% is extremely intense. If you are going to do them I would start out slower(85%) Otherwise a common method for increasing the intensity but not necessarily the volume of the runs in the track world is to perform a run of 60m with limitations. Such that an acceleration limit is set.

Example:

Set cones 10m from starting line and 60m end point. Start and accelerate from 0 to 10 meters at maximum effort. Whatever speed reached at 10m MAINTAIN (do not continue to accelerate) that speed and finish the rest of the run till 60m.

The next week place cones at 20m and 60m. Now you accelerate out till 20m, whatever speed you reach maintain and do not run faster till 60m.

Keep in mind most folks on here should probably use 5m increments as they will probably reach top speed around 30 maybe 40m. Just like in lifting where time is spend getting closer to maximum weights, it is necessary to apply similar concepts in sprinting especially in consideration of the huge limb velocities and by extension the potential for injury.

Have you tried hills?

[/quote]

I haven’t got cones or anything fancy like a track here. Just a long straight asphalt path behind my house. To be honest, that whole accelerating stuff seems to just complicate things.

Sadly, no hills here. Everything is flat. That’s why I thought of 60m: it would replicate hill sprints best I thought.

[quote]Kardash wrote:

[quote]ctaylor3 wrote:
Why 60m?

Example:

Have you tried hills?

[/quote]

I haven’t got cones or anything fancy like a track here. Just a long straight asphalt path behind my house. To be honest, that whole accelerating stuff seems to just complicate things.

Sadly, no hills here. Everything is flat. That’s why I thought of 60m: it would replicate hill sprints best I thought.
[/quote]

Understood. If you wanted I sometimes just use a t-shirt or something to replace the cones.

Light sled-pulls, would be more comparable to hills. If you don’t have one I’ve made one out of an old tire, sand bag, etc.

Otherwise, just be cautious with the 60’s. Although most powerlifters/Throwers tend to stick to the 20-40m range. In my opionion, it may be best to use that shorter range and play with the rest period to get the desired effect. Whatever you end up doing, glad to see someone picking up sprinting.

[quote]ctaylor3 wrote:

[quote]Kardash wrote:

[quote]ctaylor3 wrote:
Why 60m?

Example:

Have you tried hills?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Understood. If you wanted I sometimes just use a t-shirt or something to replace the cones.

Light sled-pulls, would be more comparable to hills. If you don’t have one I’ve made one out of an old tire, sand bag, etc.

Otherwise, just be cautious with the 60’s. Although most powerlifters/Throwers tend to stick to the 20-40m range. In my opionion, it may be best to use that shorter range and play with the rest period to get the desired effect. Whatever you end up doing, glad to see someone picking up sprinting. [/quote]

So what would you advice me in my situation?

10x 40m, full recovery rests?

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]shibboleth wrote:
Coach Romaniello has a good sprint program until the articles section of this site. It ranges from beginner to advanced try there. [/quote]

If you are referring to the 6 week sprinting solution that was one of the worst articles ever written here. He presented a workout that no human could ever perform. An all out 20 second sprint followed by 10 seconds rest, repeat? That’s like telling Usain Bolt to rest 10 seconds after setting a 200m record and then repeat that feat. [/quote]

I did the 6 week program and really enjoyed it. Lots of documentation on the effectiveness of this protocol (Tabatas). Tons of people do tabatas and I can assure you they are not impossible by any means. Diffcult? Yes. You just have to get to the point where your body can handle them and than enjoy the results.

[quote]Kardash wrote:

[quote]ctaylor3 wrote:

[quote]Kardash wrote:

[quote]ctaylor3 wrote:
Why 60m?

Example:

Have you tried hills?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Otherwise, just be cautious with the 60’s. Although most powerlifters/Throwers tend to stick to the 20-40m range. In my opionion, it may be best to use that shorter range and play with the rest period to get the desired effect. Whatever you end up doing, glad to see someone picking up sprinting. [/quote]

So what would you advice me in my situation?

10x 40m, full recovery rests?
[/quote]

Volume looks good, but rest periods I would shorten if your goal is conditioning/weight loss.

I help coach in a track and field club. Since Throwers are a better comparison for you as you are a powerlifter, I can tell you a few basic things with respect to their training. I deal with sprinters/jumpers but every once in a while we have throwers come to join.

Aside from their respective competitive events, their primary training components include weights/jumps/sprints. They do short 30 meter sprints for usually no more than about 400m in total volume. Furthermore, their goal is to derive power benefits, and not necessarily conditioning, thus their recovery periods are full (usually lasting 2-5 minutes between reps/5-15 minutes between sets)

Usually their repetitions are performed in sets of 4 to 6. So I would advise splitting your runs up as such with INCOMPLETE recoveries for a total volume range between 300-400m:

4x40m with less than 2 min rest (probably between 30-60s)

Larger rest for set break

then 4x40m with less than 2 min rest

There is quite a good bit of room to play around by adding a few more and/or shortening rests. It will also be dependent on the work being performed in the weight-room. Ultimately, make sure to do a careful warm-up and perform your sprint work as you see fit. Help this helps.

[quote]gnesr wrote:

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]shibboleth wrote:

If you are referring to the 6 week sprinting solution that was one of the worst articles ever written here. He presented a workout that no human could ever perform. An all out 20 second sprint followed by 10 seconds rest, repeat? That’s like telling Usain Bolt to rest 10 seconds after setting a 200m record and then repeat that feat. [/quote]

I did the 6 week program and really enjoyed it. Lots of documentation on the effectiveness of this protocol (Tabatas). Tons of people do tabatas and I can assure you they are not impossible by any means. Diffcult? Yes. You just have to get to the point where your body can handle them and than enjoy the results.[/quote]

I have not seen the specific article, but am quite familiar with sprinting as well as the Tabata method. I think Zecarlo and yourself are misinterpreting each other. Zecarlo is correct when he says no human can perform all out for 20 seconds and then repeat after 10 seconds. No human can perform all out for 20 seconds period. Does that mean that protocol is not effective for its intended purpose, not necessarily.

Can anyone provide a link to that article for me to read? :slight_smile:

[quote]ctaylor3 wrote:

[quote]gnesr wrote:

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]shibboleth wrote:

I did the 6 week program and really enjoyed it. Lots of documentation on the effectiveness of this protocol (Tabatas). Tons of people do tabatas and I can assure you they are not impossible by any means. Diffcult? Yes. You just have to get to the point where your body can handle them and than enjoy the results.[/quote]

I have not seen the specific article, but am quite familiar with sprinting as well as the Tabata method. I think Zecarlo and yourself are misinterpreting each other. Zecarlo is correct when he says no human can perform all out for 20 seconds and then repeat after 10 seconds. No human can perform all out for 20 seconds period. Does that mean that protocol is not effective for its intended purpose, not necessarily.

[/quote]

I have not done this program so I have no firm opinion.

Regarding Tabata, as I understand it most people who think they are doing Tabata aren’t. Fatigue causes their intensity (heart rate) to drop below the threshold that the protocol calls for before they complete all the intervals. I could see something similar happening with this sprint protocol, especially for beginners, but I don’t know. To be truly “sprinting” as I understand it, you need to be traveling at a certain speed, not just as fast as you feel like you can go at the time. Of course, I’m no expert but as far as I can tell sprinting programs for fat loss look a fair bit different than programs designed for pure speed (obviously there is some overlap).

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]Field wrote:

[/quote]

This. As far as I know maximum force and therefor strain is generated upon acceleration.

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]Field wrote:

[/quote]

This. As far as I know maximum force and therefor strain is generated upon acceleration. [/quote]

Many injuries do occur from extreme acceleration, and therfore often occur in moments of deceleration. This can be seen by the Force/Velocity curve with respect to human muscular contractions. More specifically, in an eccentric muscular contraction there is a directly proportional relationship between F/V. Where as in a concentric musclular contraction the relationship between F/V is inversely proportional.

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]ctaylor3 wrote:

[quote]gnesr wrote:

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]shibboleth wrote:

[/quote]

I have not done this program so I have no firm opinion.

Regarding Tabata, as I understand it most people who think they are doing Tabata aren’t. Fatigue causes their intensity (heart rate) to drop below the threshold that the protocol calls for before they complete all the intervals. I could see something similar happening with this sprint protocol, especially for beginners, but I don’t know. To be truly “sprinting” as I understand it, you need to be traveling at a certain speed, not just as fast as you feel like you can go at the time. Of course, I’m no expert but as far as I can tell sprinting programs for fat loss look a fair bit different than programs designed for pure speed (obviously there is some overlap).

[/quote]

Yikes to the article! I couldn’t find much I would agree on. I did find a few contradictions. He mentions brisk walking or light jogging back after I believe 80 yard sprints. This would certainly take much longer than the 10 second rest periods. Our athletes in pre-comp periods do some tempo runs with walk back recoveries. We have calculated for 100m walk back takes between 60-90 seconds on average. I have never seen such short work:rest ratios as prescribed without a significant set or serioes break.

Wait a second after rereading this, it is meant for the treadmill, that changes things a tiny bit. For one who is slow enough on here that they actually reach top speed before their treadmill does :wink: (assuming its not a high-speed one)

I have just started sprinting in order to aid body comp as well as improve my HIIT capacity. To be honest, a lot of the sprint articles on this site are just too complex for me. I only aim to do 1-2 sessions a week, when I can fit it in.
I live next to a beach so my basic template involves running in the compacted sand while the tide is out. My beach is divided every 100m or so (I don’t know the exact distance) by tide barriers. I use such a segment as my working zone and sprint between them, which equates to 10 sec bursts.

I run then walk/jog back. The first few rounds aren’t flat out in order to warm up fully. I have started at 8 mins total work (includes walking back to start point), and plan on increasing the time per session. It’s not rocket science (which suits me given my weights training is periodised and I’ve got enough to think about with that). For me, the warm up, dynamic stretching part, etc, is more important to avoid injury rather than worrying about knee height, seconds run, and a host of other variables. Basic but effective.

Should I be worried about the possibility of a heartattack lol? Or would that be bullshit?