T Nation

Beginner Routine, Please Critique

My goal is to build a solid base frame.
I eat very well(salad/fruit at every meal, healthy carbs, plenty of protein, lots of water,etc.) and I get 9 hours of sleep. For supplements, I just take a multivitamin and creatine.

Schedule:
Warm up:
1.5 min Cardio
2.Stretch
3.Warm-up set before each exercise

Most exercises done in 4 sets of 10, legs done in 4 sets of 15; 1 min rest btwn sets-

Day 1: Workout A
Chest: Medium Grip Bench press
Back: Seated Cable Rows
Shoulders: Military Press
Abs: Ab machine

Day 2: REST

Day 3: Workout B
Thighs: Barbell Squat
Biceps: Barbell curls
Triceps: Close grip Bench Press
Calves: Standing calve raises

Day 4: REST

Day 5: Repeat Workout A

Day 6: REST

Day 7: Repeat Workout B

Cool down:
1.Cool down set after each exercise
2.Stretch
3.5 min cardio

So, what does everyone think? I'm tying to keep things simple and only do a few solid compound exercises.

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

read.

did you put that together yourself? Cause as a beginner you'd probably do a little better to follow something like WS4SB

I found this routine in an article and modified it slightly. Switched Triceps push downs to close grip bench and Pull downs to seated cable rows(those do work the same muscles, right?

=======================================================
www.thepumpingstation.com/bodybuildingforbeginners.html

"Day 1: (Workout A)
Bench press 4 sets of 10 reps (for the chest) Pull downs 4 sets of 10 reps (for the back) Military press 4 sets of 10 reps (for the shoulders) Crunches 4 sets of 25-50 reps (for the abdominals)

Day 3: (Workout B)
Squats or Leg press 4 sets of 15 reps (for the thighs) Barbell curls 4 sets of 10 reps (for the biceps) Triceps push downs 4 sets of 10 reps (for the triceps) Standing calve raises 4 sets of 15 reps (for the calves)"
===========================================================

Lots of reps. Wouldn't it be better for you to add some heavy shit in there and do some real lifting?? haha What are your goals exactly?

My goal is hypertrophy. Isn't 3-5 sets, 8-12 reps, 30-90 sec rest, the way to achieve that?

Thank you.

This is exactly what I was looking for!

I was just kidding with my last post. I powerlift, so I was busting your chops. Sorry.