T Nation

Beginner Routine Advice

Hey everyone, I’m 21 and skinny (5 11, 140lb). I want to look to build muscle and get bigger and stronger. This is really something I am motivated to do and stick with for the long haul. However, regarding which routine a begginer should start out on, I don’t know which route to take. I’ve done alot of researching so I know the fundamentals of diet, rest, and everything but there are alot of different routines that claim to be the optimal way for a beginner to train such as Fullbody, push pull leg, upper lower, 4 day split, 1 time a week, 2 times a week, etc etc… It seems that for a beginner frequency over volume is stressed often along with just the core lifts. I came across this routine, what do you guys think?

A
squat 3 x 5-8
bench 3 x 5-8
rows 3 x 5-8

B
Deadlift 2 - 3 sets 5 reps
shoulder press 3 x 5-8
chinups 3 sets to failure, adding weight when i can do 10 or so

you take a day off between each session, taking 2 days off every now and then. So is this a good way to start off? Thanks

[quote]gooseguy21 wrote:
Hey everyone, I’m 21 and skinny (5 11, 140lb). I want to look to build muscle and get bigger and stronger. This is really something I am motivated to do and stick with for the long haul. However, regarding which routine a begginer should start out on, I don’t know which route to take. I’ve done alot of researching so I know the fundamentals of diet, rest, and everything but there are alot of different routines that claim to be the optimal way for a beginner to train such as Fullbody, push pull leg, upper lower, 4 day split, 1 time a week, 2 times a week, etc etc… It seems that for a beginner frequency over volume is stressed often along with just the core lifts. I came across this routine, what do you guys think?

A
squat 3 x 5-8
bench 3 x 5-8
rows 3 x 5-8

B
Deadlift 2 - 3 sets 5 reps
shoulder press 3 x 5-8
chinups 3 sets to failure, adding weight when i can do 10 or so

you take a day off between each session, taking 2 days off every now and then. So is this a good way to start off? Thanks[/quote]

Thats a very similar set up that I use and it is great for strenght, not shure if it is any good for bodybuilding though if you are more into that.

If you use this, then you can train it 2-3 times week.

If 3 times a week it will look like this:

Week1: ABA.
Week2: BAB.
Week3: ABA.
etc.

As a rule of thumb 1-3 days off beetwen each session works great with a routine like that.

Ps. You can add stuff like curls, rear raises, abs etc at the end of each session. I doubt if it will hinder your progress at all.

Hope that was at any help.

Try MAX-OT style or a good push/pull training.

Focus on progressing every week and good nutrition.

Since your skinny I think you need to do serious volume. Old fashion BB style. Every angle, constant tension, shitloads of reps. Eat a ton of clean calories and sleep. A bp split. 1 day chest, 1 day back, 1 day arms, 1 day legs (skip the lame shit, just squat and good mornings, walking lunges)
1 day arms/shoulders. Rinse, repeat.

[quote]strangemeadow wrote:
Since your skinny I think you need to do serious volume. Old fashion BB style. Every angle, constant tension, shitloads of reps. Eat a ton of clean calories and sleep. A bp split. 1 day chest, 1 day back, 1 day arms, 1 day legs (skip the lame shit, just squat and good mornings, walking lunges)
1 day arms/shoulders. Rinse, repeat.[/quote]

See and then i see the complete opposite “your 140 you shouldnt even think about a split until you get your numbers up in the basic compounds, that will put size on you faster than any split.” That’s why im thinking of doing the routine above, just to build my work capacity, build a foundation of strength, and then move on to a split routine with more volume. Like on bodybuilding.com they pretty much advocate that a routine like the above is optimal for a beginner, but here it seems to be more split oriented. I just dont want to spin my wheels because there are so many different opinions on routines.

[quote]gooseguy21 wrote:

[quote]strangemeadow wrote:
1 day arms/shoulders. Rinse, repeat.[/quote]

See and then i see the complete opposite “your 140 you shouldnt even think about a split until you get your numbers up in the basic compounds, that will put size on you faster than any split.” That’s why im thinking of doing the routine above, just to build my work capacity, build a foundation of strength, and then move on to a split routine with more volume. Like on bodybuilding.com they pretty much advocate that a routine like the above is optimal for a beginner, but here it seems to be more split oriented. I just dont want to spin my wheels because there are so many different opinions on routines.[/quote]
You could always go with Wendler’s 5/3/1 and do some extra accessory work. Builds good strength and the extras are more isolation oriented.