T Nation

Beginner Questions?

-Without access to weights and 90 minutes of swimming a day, how would you go about gaining muscle (on Varsity swim team, and want to put some muscle on)

-When exercising, I realize your metabolism speeds up, does this mean that say extra calories that you ate in a day might be wasted (dunno how? But I read how ectomorphs’ bodies actually just furnace extra calories) instead of be put to fat gain?

-How possible is it to gain pure muscle given that nutrition and work ethic is good would you say?

-I’m 5’ 10.5" - 125lbs, how much weight do you think I could gain to look more like a man and not some emo punk?

-When eating throughout the day, is it okay if some meals completely lack one form of calorie and are abundant in others? (Such as at 3pm if I just scooped peanutbutter out of a jar and plopped it in a bowl and ate from that. Or if I had a handful of mixed nuts?)

-Do you believe in the term a calorie is a calorie, where as say one person eats their maintenance level in healthy vegetables, proteins and other healthy choices would look the same nekid if they just ate 2,000 calories in greasy burgers, fries, icecream, ect all the junk and “non healthy” foods?

-Please do not flame me…I figure if I am going to post at this site at all, I should learn something and stop reposting same stupid questions I have been…thanks.

[quote]friedrice683 wrote:
-Without access to weights and 90 minutes of swimming a day, how would you go about gaining muscle (on Varsity swim team, and want to put some muscle on)

-When exercising, I realize your metabolism speeds up, does this mean that say extra calories that you ate in a day might be wasted (dunno how? But I read how ectomorphs’ bodies actually just furnace extra calories) instead of be put to fat gain?

-How possible is it to gain pure muscle given that nutrition and work ethic is good would you say?

-I’m 5’ 10.5" - 125lbs, how much weight do you think I could gain to look more like a man and not some emo punk?

-When eating throughout the day, is it okay if some meals completely lack one form of calorie and are abundant in others? (Such as at 3pm if I just scooped peanutbutter out of a jar and plopped it in a bowl and ate from that. Or if I had a handful of mixed nuts?)

-Do you believe in the term a calorie is a calorie, where as say one person eats their maintenance level in healthy vegetables, proteins and other healthy choices would look the same nekid if they just ate 2,000 calories in greasy burgers, fries, icecream, ect all the junk and “non healthy” foods?

-Please do not flame me…I figure if I am going to post at this site at all, I should learn something and stop reposting same stupid questions I have been…thanks. [/quote]

You are severly underweight. Almost dangerously so. EAT.

Putting on pure muscle. WTF are you thinking! Your 120lbs! You should be eating damn near CONSTANTLY.

Get a gym membership, hit the weights (REAL weights), and for the love of god EAT.

And a calorie is NOT a calorie is NOT a calorie. But in your case, go ahead and shove Burger King and Taco Bell down your gullet. You need a LOT more than 2000 calories.

Dude, I’m 2 inches shorter than you, and about 60 or so pounds heavier, and I don’t look like a “man” (not that I look like some emo punk). You need to gain some serious weight. For your height, donm’t stop till you reach a total body weight or damn near 200 before cutting down some. Damn.

If your excercising more, you burn more calories. Period. But in your case, a little fat gain (hell, a medial fat gain even) is not something you should be stressing over.

Even though you’ll probably ignore us all (I sincerly hope you don’t), good luck to you. And sorry for the terrible spelling.

[quote]friedrice683 wrote:
-Without access to weights and 90 minutes of swimming a day, how would you go about gaining muscle (on Varsity swim team, and want to put some muscle on)
[/quote]

  1. eat enough to start gaining weight.
  2. get plenty of rest.
  3. pushups, chinups, situps, short duration sprints (40 yrd dash for example).

Some people’s bodies are not good at storing fat, even if they eat more calories than they need, they’re more likely to shit the extra calories out than put on fat.

People like this are the exception to the rule though.

Even under ideal cicumstances, most people will gain a very small amount of fat along with any muscle gains.

That would depend on what you think a man should look like.

In my opinion you should gain ~100 lbs.

Make sure that you get protein with every meal. Other than that, at your size you shouldn’t be worrying about what kind of calories your getting, just get some fucking calories.

How about some middle ground? Why don’t your eat mostly fresh veggies, lean protein, fresh fruits, healthy fats, but don’t be afraid to pound down the occasional burger, fries, and a milkshake.

[quote]
-Please do not flame me…I figure if I am going to post at this site at all, I should learn something and stop reposting same stupid questions I have been…thanks. [/quote]

You’ve started numerous threads, have you learned anything yet? People have given you plenty of quality advice, yet you’re still skin and bones.

Quit typing and start eating.

[quote]friedrice683 wrote:
-Without access to weights and 90 minutes of swimming a day, how would you go about gaining muscle (on Varsity swim team, and want to put some muscle on)[/quote]

Your high school probably has a weight room(albeit most likely run down). Ask your coach if it is possible to use it. You’d be suprised what a little initiative will get you. Otherwise follow the advise given about bodyweight exercises.

I am not sure exactly what you are asking here. Your “extra calories”(the caloric intake that is above and beyond your basal metabolic rate) are not being wasted. They either get stored as fat, or if you are exercising and giving the proper stimulus for growth, they will be put to work building more muscle. The trick is to figure out approximately how many calories you need for that excess.

No, not possible. Thats like getting 100% of your paycheck. That fat bastard uncle sam always gets a cut. With proper nutrition and work ethic you will be able to minimize how much fat you gain, however.

I could toss out a number…say 60lbs? But sometimes people get overwhelmed when looking at the big picture. You need to make some micro goals. Since you are relatively new to this, try a 10 pound weight gain goal. You can’t swim the 100(Or whatever u swim) until you learn to tread water.

The human body is amazingly resilient. It will metabolize anything you throw at it. While i don’t recommend eating a bowl of peanut butter, it can be done. I am a thin person by nature too, and sometimes I tend to have meals and are very carb dense(like pasta and milk) or fat dense(pb sandwich). I try to eat a mixture of different nutrients, but sometimes your meal just turns out that way. Don’t worry about it.

The guy who ate clean would look better. But lets face it, this is the real world. It is very very hard to pack on enough calories for growth when you eat completely clean. Do not be afraid to have slightly less healthy options every now and then. Put some cheese on your burritos. Drink chocolate milk if you like it better. The bottom line is that if you are eating clean and not getting enough calories to grow, do what you gotta do to get them.

Good luck dude.

You again? You know, you may just be the stupidest person to post on this site(and that is saying a lot).

just food bro eat it no its not being wasted its being used for various vital processes. Hell even fat storage ios a vital process the process of storage so when you starve it the body again it can try and survive.

1 quit the over thinking and learn to eat a healthy amount of food.

Phill

This guy has a ridiculous fat phobia… dude, your value to society is not defined by how lean you are. Worthwhile people, women, are more concerned with who you are than how lean you are.

You are going to get the same answers no matter how many threads you start. You are emaciated to the point of it being a health risk. Quit obsessing about your purported binges when you eat a muffin and just eat some fucking food and don’t worry about anything beyond that.


You will never gain muscle because for some reason you can’t grasp the concept that you have to eat to build muscle.

Therefore you will always look like an emo punk.

The only thing keeping me from concluding absolutely that you’re a troll at this point is the fact that you keep using the same handle.

You say you want to stop asking the same stupid questions over and over SO DON"T. You need food man and lots of it. There’s practically nobody I would say this to that I wasn’t trying to kill, but in your case eating tons of almost anything would be better than what you’re doing.

If you even enter a weight room the way you are now you’re gonna hurt yourself which actually may be the best thing for you because it would get you near some doctors who would almost certainly corroborate the apparently mystifying message you’ve been told here 500 times already.

EEEEEEEEEAT!!! Before you disappear.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
You will never gain muscle because for some reason you can’t grasp the concept that you have to eat to build muscle.

Therefore you will always look like an emo punk.[/quote]

That picture is hysterical BTW!!! LOL!

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
jbodzin wrote:
You will never gain muscle because for some reason you can’t grasp the concept that you have to eat to build muscle.

Therefore you will always look like an emo punk.

That picture is hysterical BTW!!! LOL![/quote]

I do my best =)

You need to talk to your parents. You still have an eating disorder and need help.

Before you were skinny and running cross country. Now you are skinny and swimming. Every post you are skinny want to gain muscle but are afraid to gain any fat. And you still are not consuming enough calories.

My husband is 5’ 10" and when he was sick his weight dropped to 130lbs and the doctors wanted to admit hit into the hospital. He looked awful. You are a little taller and weigh 10 pound less.

You are in high school. You should be enjoying life, hanging out with friends, dating girls and eating when you are hungry. You should not be obsession about your body and afraid you are going to be fat if you eat a muffin.

If you are uncomfortable talking to your parents then find a teacher or guidance counsoler you can talk to about your problem.

Sorry about the lecture but I have a son around your age and I would want to know if he was having problems.

Good luck!

The first thing you should do is change your screen name to something other than “friedrice”. How about:

“MeatNtaters”

“BurgerKing”

“The Foodinhaler”

“GobbleBoy”

A common phrase around here is “You have to EAT BIG and LIFT BIG to GET BIG”. In your case take it a step further back… THINK BIG.

P.S. You should be eating something while you read these replies!

Guys don’t waste your breathe, many people aready have talking to this kid for a couple months now. always the same questions.

Even Eric C. talked to him one on one.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
Guys don’t waste your breathe, many people aready have talking to this kid for a couple months now. always the same questions.

Even Eric C. talked to him one on one.[/quote]

Very true, but something I learned the hard way long ago, if something happens to this dude, I want to be able to sleep at night knowing I gave him the same good advice every time.

If he dies on a x-country run, due to heart complications like that anorexic model in the other thread, I don’t want to be the person that ignored his last post or gave him bad advice out of frustration.

Besides, not only is it good advice, it’s fun to tell this skinny little guy to find the fridge once in a while… :wink:

Another good name to pick… fridgeraider!

[quote]vroom wrote:
jbodzin wrote:
Guys don’t waste your breathe, many people aready have talking to this kid for a couple months now. always the same questions.

Even Eric C. talked to him one on one.

Very true, but something I learned the hard way long ago, if something happens to this dude, I want to be able to sleep at night knowing I gave him the same good advice every time.

If he dies on a x-country run, due to heart complications like that anorexic model in the other thread, I don’t want to be the person that ignored his last post or gave him bad advice out of frustration.

Besides, not only is it good advice, it’s fun to tell this skinny little guy to find the fridge once in a while… :wink:

Another good name to pick… fridgeraider![/quote]

I know, I know, we should all take the high road and all, but he makes me want to drive a nail into my foot.

With no weights you need some inspiration from guys who have got strong and muscular without weights.

Try www.rossboxing.com

The guys an incredible athlete,fairly muscular and definitely strong.

Check it out!

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
I know, I know, we should all take the high road and all, but he makes me want to drive a nail into my foot.[/quote]

LOL. Hmm, nail gun or hammer?

[quote]vroom wrote:
jbodzin wrote:
I know, I know, we should all take the high road and all, but he makes me want to drive a nail into my foot.

LOL. Hmm, nail gun or hammer?[/quote]

Well if I’m going to put a nail in my foot might as well get some grip work while I’m at it. Hammer.

lol

Cut him some slack, guys.

I can relate to how he feels somewhat. When I started highschool i was 6’1" and 120lbs. I didn’t have an eating disorder or anything, but it was very difficult to add weight and have an appetite. I eventually worked my way up to approximately 160lbs by the end of highschool.

It wasn’t until I was about 21 that I semi figured out the right way for me to gain. I put on 20lbs in one semester at college, putting me up to 180lbs. Goals change, life happens. I am 24 years old, and 6’1" 200lbs now.

Basically, besides the constant questions about fat, I think that what he is going through is natural. He is young and a lot of this probably won’t sink in for a few years.

What I would suggest is to start slow. Make sure everyday that you:

  1. eat breakfast. Never skip breakfast.

  2. eat lunch at school. Never skip lunch. I used to do that when I was in highschool and didn’t know at the time that I was depressed.

  3. eat dinner. I had the luxory of my mother cooking dinner every night. If you do too, don’t take it for granted.

Don’t worry about eating 6x a day and eating protein with every meal and all that crap. You need to get these first three rules down. Once you do then come back for more information.