T Nation

Beginner Question

is it possible to cut down without losing strength or muscle? thanks

i really think i fucked up im getting stronger and bigger but i cant settle on one thing
i wanna be strong, but i wanna look good for the girls too, like a beach body sorta deal
im only a kid (16) and ive just been eating a lot and doing full body training 3 times a week, but wouldn’t that being an ideal bulking up routine?

i was thinking maybe i should bulk up and then cut down, cause if i just cut down right now it wouldn’t do anything cause i dont have enough muscle to show off, ive been following this for the past 5 weeks:

[quote]droozie wrote:
is it possible to cut down without losing strength or muscle? thanks[/quote]

I’m going to go with yes.

Google Alwyn Cosgrove. He’s got a program that’s badass called Afterburn for this exact purpose.

You’re going to have to be really strict on your diet to see the results though.

The idea is stressing the body by jumping all over the place on number of reps, resting for very short periods and training fullbody.

[quote]LiamBrady wrote:
Google Alwyn Cosgrove. He’s got a program that’s badass called Afterburn for this exact purpose.

You’re going to have to be really strict on your diet to see the results though.

The idea is stressing the body by jumping all over the place on number of reps, resting for very short periods and training fullbody.[/quote]

sweet, thanks

Strength is lift dependent.Benchpress and squat will most likely decrease, but deadlifts and pulling strength can increase when cutting.
Muscle loss(ie size) is dependent on your diet(if it is too restricted, you will loose muscle) and training(overdoit, and you will loose muscle).

Dial the right frequency, and volume of training along with a good balanced caloric deficit, you can retain the size of your muscles. That is my experience, and may only hold true for me.

It really depends on where you’re starting from. If you’re at already pretty lean, you’ll need to keep a very tight diet to shed that last bit of fat, and strength will most likely suffer. If you’re significantly overweight and just starting to lift, you can probably lose weight just be cleaning up your diet, while keeping your strength levels the same or even getting stronger.

Are you trying to be a bodybuilder or some Abercrombie douchebag model?

Screw the abs, beach body, and women.

You’re 16 years old and doing a full body routine? Talking about cutting?

Lift some weight and eat a steak.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/for_those_who_want_to_loose_fat_while_gaining_muscle?id=2438600&pageNo=1

enjoy.

I’ve gained a shitload of strength while losing wads of bodyfat since being on a real program, let alone not losing any strength.

Just gotta put the right pieces together.