T Nation

Beginner Question about Good Mornings

Hello everyone, i’m a fan of this website and i’ve found the articles and the forum discussions to be very educational and informative. To get to the point, would it be possible to break the eccentric/concentric chain of the Good Morning in the same manner as the box squat? Namely, when you take a barbell off the rack and you descend, you let the weight pause for a moment on top of the safety pins, and then after a split second or so you ascend and complete the cycle. Would that work?

[quote]latchbox wrote:
Hello everyone, i’m a fan of this website and i’ve found the articles and the forum discussions to be very educational and informative. To get to the point, would it be possible to break the eccentric/concentric chain of the Good Morning in the same manner as the box squat? Namely, when you take a barbell off the rack and you descend, you let the weight pause for a moment on top of the safety pins, and then after a split second or so you ascend and complete the cycle. Would that work?[/quote]

I would say definitely not. When breaking up the eccentric concentric chain in the box squat, your body or spine still remains loaded with the barbell, by breaking up the chain in a good morning you are completely unloading the barbell from your back, which in my opinion seems unnecessary. You could do a good morning variation like a suspended good morning, which starts you at the concentric portion of the lift, depending on what your goal is.

[quote]latchbox wrote:
Hello everyone, i’m a fan of this website and i’ve found the articles and the forum discussions to be very educational and informative. To get to the point, would it be possible to break the eccentric/concentric chain of the Good Morning in the same manner as the box squat? Namely, when you take a barbell off the rack and you descend, you let the weight pause for a moment on top of the safety pins, and then after a split second or so you ascend and complete the cycle. Would that work?[/quote]

Are you talking about something like chain good morning?

try youtubing it then tell me if that’s kind of like what you meant?

Yes i am talking about what you just mentioned. I would like to know what are the benefits of concentrating on the concentric part of the Good Morning?

[quote]latchbox wrote:
Yes i am talking about what you just mentioned. I would like to know what are the benefits of concentrating on the concentric part of the Good Morning?[/quote]

IMO it replicates the deadlift more. Someone else may want to chime in.