T Nation

Beginner PWO Shake Question

Probably doesn’t belong in the nutrition forum since it’s probably a stupid question, I just want to make sure I don’t put myself into a sugary coma.

So after doing a lot of research, I figured out what I need to do for my PWO shake. Without spending a fortune on Surge, which I would if i had the money, I came up with the following simple shake:

Water
Whey Protein Powder
Dextrose
Maltodextrin
(will possibly add a little salt)

My body weight is 187lb with about 19%BF. So i figured out my ratios to be 34g protein, 34g dextrose, and 34g maltodextrin (basically P-1:C-2 for gaining some size) in about 20oz of water.

The questions I have are:

1. A single serving of Dextrose is 1.25 teaspoon which is 4g. So to get 34g for the shake, i have to use about 10.5 teaspoons? Really? It’s delicious, but isn’t that too much sugar? I know i can reduce the amount, but all the articles/forums suggest half and half for carbs. I am just trying to make sure my math is correct. Can anybody confirm or correct me if i’m wrong?

2. For the Maltodextrin I bought carbo gain by Now products. On the label it says half a cup is a single serving of 50g. That’s fine, so I need about 3/4 of a cup. But what exactly is a cup? They don’t include a scoop in the package, so what size cup should i use? Or is that a standard?

Any help without ridiculous answers is appreciated. I know the questions seem stupid, but they are legit questions.
Thanks.

anyone?

Are you bulking or cutting or training for athletics or what?

Bulking at this point, thats why the 1:2 protein to carbs.