Beginner Program for Girlfirend

Hi!

Anyone who has some recommendations on a starting program for my girlfriend who wants to start weight training ?

Something very simple would suffice.

5x5 on all exercises
A. Deadlift variation
B. Bench variation
C. Pullup variation

As not to shock her so much at first, make her use a 10RM then work your way up to a 7RM.

I had my girlfriend do something like this. This works well if done 2 or 3 times per week alternating with day 1 and day 2.

Day 1

A. Hang power clean (3-5 sets of 3-5 reps)
B. Back squat (3-5 sets of 3-8 reps)
C. Bench press (3-5 sets of 3-8 reps)
D. Bent over row (barbell or db) (2-4 sets of 5-10 reps)
E. Romanian deadlift (2-4 sets of 8-15 reps)

Day 2

A. Push press (3-5 sets of 3-5 reps)
B. Front squat (3-5 sets of 3-5 reps)
C. Deadlift (2-4 sets of 1-5 reps)
D. Pulldown (or chins if able to do) (2-3 sets of 8-15 reps)

She went pretty quickly from squatting with just the bar for 10 reps to squatting 5x5 with 50kg (weighing about 55kg herself).

[quote]warsoe wrote:
Hi!

Anyone who has some recommendations on a starting program for my girlfriend who wants to start weight training ?[/quote]

Tricep kickbacks, curls with those 2.5 pink dumbbells for that “toned” look, anything with a bosu ball, plenty of steady state cardio and your set.

Well, what are her goals?

Just because she happens to be female doesn’t mean that there is one template guaranteed to work for her.

It depends on what she wants to achieve. She will probably give you the, “I don’t want to get too muscular, just toned.” You lucky bastard, mine would just do cardio. She’s now doing someone else sniff.

[quote]MC sp3 wrote:
Well, what are her goals?

Just because she happens to be female doesn’t mean that there is one template guaranteed to work for her.[/quote]

Bump, what are her goals?

she (me) wants her to tighten up :wink: - not loose fat but to get more muscular.

I suggest getting her the book:
The New Rules of Lifting for Women
Lou Schuler, Cassandra Forsythe, Alwyn Cosgrove (all contributors here)

The book includes a 6 month program and covers everything from why a woman should lift weights, nutrition, etc. It’s a general fitness program that has a little bit of everything (break in, muscle building, strength, cardio, and cutting (fat loss)).

Each of the 2 workouts in stage 1 (break in) start with the big compound movements (squat and deadlift) which we all know are the best compound movements and are a smart way to “break your body in” to weight lifting and build a strong foundation.

The program also addresses that fact that women tend to be quad dominant.

Bottom line is it’s a fantastic program and I have seen huge gains in just the first stage (2 months). My deadlift 1RM went from 115lbs to 185lbs. My squat went from 105lbs to 165lbs. Other progress and info is viewable on my blog:

There is also an official forum for the book with dozens of ladies sharing their experiences at:
forums.jpfitness.com/new-rules-lifting-women/

The book is also a good idea 'cause sometimes we are resistant to “advice” that comes from our partners.