T Nation

Beginner Program Critique Please

I've read quite a bit [in my opinion] on this site before making this routine, and I'd appreciate any feedback. I don't have much experience in the gym, just went for a while with friends but that didn't accomplish much, so I'm pretty much a beginner.

Monday-Back, Biceps
Tuesday- Chest, Triceps
Wednesday-Off
Thursday- Legs
Friday- Shoulders, Traps
Saturday-Off
Sunday-Off

Back, Biceps-
Yates Rows- Work up to a max set of 8-10
Rack Pull Ups- 3 sets, 10 reps
Dumbbell Rows- 4 sets, 15-20 reps
Dumbbell Pullovers- 3 sets, 15-20 reps
Barbell Curls- 4 sets, 8 reps
Hammer Curls- 3 sets, 12 reps

Chest, Triceps-
Close Grip Bench Press- Work up to a max set of 8-10
Dumbbell Bench Press- 3 sets, 10 reps
PJR Pullovers- 4 sets, 8 reps
Bench Dips- 2x Max

Legs-
Front Squats- Work up to a max set of 8-10
Romanian Deadlifts- 4 sets, 12 reps
Lunges- 3 sets, 8 reps
Standing Calf Raises- 3 sets, 20 reps

Shoulders, Traps-
Lateral Dumbbell Raises- 4 sets, 10 reps
Dumbbell Military Press- Work up to a max set of 8-10
Front Dumbbell Raises- 3 sets, 10 reps
Bent Over Dumbbell Flyes- 4 sets, 12 reps
Barbell Shrugs- 4 sets, 12 reps

On off days I may run just because I'm a little soft, and I figure if I eat enough it won't affect any gains in muscle or anything.

“Rack pull ups” are rack pull (half a deadlift) or pull-ups? If they’re Rack pull, do them BEFORE row.

Why close grip BP (a triceps-dominant movement) before DB bench press?

Why lateral raise before DB MP? Anyway, if you’re working to a max set, you’ve better use a barbell.

Do you really need Front DB raises? Most lifters are front-delts dominant, and front delts get plenty of work in every pressing movement.

If your schedule allows you to train on saturday, it would be wise to take a day off after legs day.

Just my 2 cents, good routine overall.

Maybe swap dumbell pullover for lat pull down or wide-grip pull ups,As from experience they have affected my chest days.Is this going to fit all into an hour?Real short breaks?Looks good though.
Bent over dumbell flies are prety unnecessary if you doing lat raises as you work your back individually,especially if you swapped pullover for wide grip pull ups they will hit the rear delt.
Use the ez bar for shrugs (easier to grip than a barbell especailly when you go heavy you wont need wraps to hold on)
Just my oppinion,these have give me good gains in the past.
Good luck

[quote]fabiop wrote:
“Rack pull ups” are rack pull (half a deadlift) or pull-ups? If they’re Rack pull, do them BEFORE row.

Why close grip BP (a triceps-dominant movement) before DB bench press?

Why lateral raise before DB MP? Anyway, if you’re working to a max set, you’ve better use a barbell.

Do you really need Front DB raises? Most lifters are front-delts dominant, and front delts get plenty of work in every pressing movement.

If your schedule allows you to train on saturday, it would be wise to take a day off after legs day.

Just my 2 cents, good routine overall.[/quote]

Yeah the rack pull ups are like pull ups, I think they’re called rack chins now that I think of it, sorry about that. My chest seems to dominate most of my pressing movements, and I also have a bad case of gyno so I’m a little reluctant to build up my chest too much, hence the CG bench before DB bench press. I should’ve mentioned that.

I’ll take the front raises out, and I’ll move shoulder day to Saturday.

Thanks a lot.

[quote]Sosruko wrote:
Maybe swap dumbell pullover for lat pull down or wide-grip pull ups,As from experience they have affected my chest days.Is this going to fit all into an hour?Real short breaks?Looks good though.
Bent over dumbell flies are prety unnecessary if you doing lat raises as you work your back individually,especially if you swapped pullover for wide grip pull ups they will hit the rear delt.
Use the ez bar for shrugs (easier to grip than a barbell especailly when you go heavy you wont need wraps to hold on)
Just my oppinion,these have give me good gains in the past.
Good luck[/quote]

Hey, thanks a lot for the feedback. I can’t really use lat pull downs because I’m training at home for a few months (until next school year, there’s a weight room at my university), but I’ll take out the rear delt work if the back work gets them enough.

Thanks again.

Go by how you feel keep alog.

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:
I also have a bad case of gyno so I’m a little reluctant to build up my chest too much[/quote]

You might want to check out this thread: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_alpha/youve_got_maletitties

I haven’t looked, but there could be some useful info in there for you.

[quote]w00tage wrote:
LarryDavid wrote:
I also have a bad case of gyno so I’m a little reluctant to build up my chest too much

You might want to check out this thread: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_alpha/youve_got_maletitties

I haven’t looked, but there could be some useful info in there for you.[/quote]

Thanks for the response. I’ve read the thread a couple of times and I’m sure I have gyno. I remember as soon as my chest grew from the time I was working out with friends, it made the overall situation look worse, unfortunately. The best I can think of doing right now is putting a smaller emphasis on pecs when lifting, so the problem isn’t too bad. Thanks again man.