T Nation

Beginner Program Advice

Hi all

Just recently found this site and have been reading ever since. I started working out 6 weeks ago, my goals are build up strength and size (muscle not fat).

I realize that at my current state any workout will probably work, but still wanted to get opinions. Am I doing too much on Mon/Fri, should I not have a day like Wed at all?

I’m making progress now. I work out by myself, I’m worried if I try to figure out my 1RM I’ll injure myself :). However, I feel like i can keep adding weight every week for a while.

Should I switch to some sort of a 5x5 program or keep going with this for a while? If I should stick with this, for how long?

Height: 5’9
Weight: 195lb
Bench: 105lb x7
Squat: 145 x6
DL: 150 x6

I found this work out at http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/best_newbie_workout.htm before finding this site.

Monday
Bench Press: 3 Sets Of 8 Reps (just started with barbell, after viewing Tate’s videos, was using dumbells (45s) before)
Squat: 3 Sets Of 6 Reps
Bent Over Row: 3 Sets Of 6-10 Reps (just started doing this a week ago, did seated rows instead before)
Military Press: 3 Sets Of 6-10 Reps
Deadlift: 3 Sets Of 6 Reps

Wednesday
Leg Press: 3 Sets Of 8 Reps
Skull Crushers: 3 Sets Of 6-10 Reps (hurt my elbow first time i tried this, doing push downs now)
Lat Pulldown: 3 Sets Of 8 Reps
Calf Raise: 3 Sets Of 8 Reps
Lateral Raise: 3 Sets Of 8 Reps
Dumbbell Curls: 3 Sets Of 6-10 Reps

Friday
Deadlift: 3 Sets Of 6 Reps
Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 Sets Of 8 Reps
Barbell Row: 3 Sets Of 6-10 Reps
Smith Machine Squats: 3 Sets Of 6 Reps (not using smith machine)
Dumbbell Shrugs: 3 Sets Of 6-10 Reps

Thanks

yes, 5x5 has been done by countless people and has worked, so i would suggest you try it instead of a programme you got off bodybuilding.com, also 5x5 can be done for a long time, years even!

Ok, thanks.

One more question, I really want traps :). Big ass traps. Will I get those with http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/starting_strength_the_guide ?

Thanks

[quote]dablya wrote:
Ok, thanks.

One more question, I really want traps :). Big ass traps. Will I get those with http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/starting_strength_the_guide ?

Thanks[/quote]

You need to work on increasing your overall strength before you’ll have any “big ass” muscles, but this program is a good place to start.

Starting Strength is a poor place to start if you want to begin bodybuilding.

There is a sticky in the Bodybuilding Training forum that links to all the threads made by and about the biggest and strongest guys on this website, and you can find information about the best ways to eat and train (hint: none of them are starting strength) if you want to become big and strong.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Starting Strength is a poor place to start if you want to begin bodybuilding.

There is a sticky in the Bodybuilding Training forum that links to all the threads made by and about the biggest and strongest guys on this website, and you can find information about the best ways to eat and train (hint: none of them are starting strength) if you want to become big and strong.[/quote]

are you saying the OP wont gain size using starting strength?

check this out OP: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

I suggest 5x5 to build a foundation. I would also swap leg press and lateral raises out on Wednesday for squat and military press.

Thanks guys. I’m not looking to get into body building, I’m more interested in building up strength. I was half joking about the traps, I just don’t want the pear look i got going now
Looks like 5x5 it is.
Should I use my “stat” weights as my starting weights? I think my form is good, at least I don’t think my form gets any better with less weight.

Heavy deadlift is the king trap builder in my opinion. What do you mean by “stat” weights? Some people do the same weight 5x5. Others ramp.
for example
135x5
185x5
225x5
245x5
255x5
or
225 for all five.
I think it’s a better idea to do straight sets and move the weight up a little the next week if you get all the reps.

I mean the info I posted in the original message:

Bench: 105lb x7
Squat: 145 x6
DL: 150 x6

I was going to start with these weights for x5 and add a little each work out for as long as I can maintain good (as good as I can) form for 5/5/5.

Yeah that’s a good place to start

[quote]Ritter wrote:
Heavy deadlift is the king trap builder in my opinion. What do you mean by “stat” weights? Some people do the same weight 5x5. Others ramp.
for example
135x5
185x5
225x5
245x5
255x5
or
225 for all five.
I think it’s a better idea to do straight sets and move the weight up a little the next week if you get all the reps.[/quote]

yeah i agree, use the same weight for 3 work sets, so say you pick a weight that u get 3x3 with the same weight, keep the same weight till you can do 3x5 then the next training session add a little bit of weight, and go on like that.

[quote]Ritter wrote:
for example
135x5
185x5
225x5
245x5
255x5
or
225 for all five.
I think it’s a better idea to do straight sets and move the weight up a little the next week if you get all the reps.[/quote]

yeah i agree, use the same weight for 3 work sets, so say you pick a weight that u get 3x3 with the same weight, keep the same weight till you can do 3x5 then the next training session add a little bit of weight, and go on like that.

I really don’t believe that someone who is new into lifting should do 5 x 5’s. when you are new, higher reps with lighter weight are going to be better for you. this will help you solidify your form and strengthen your stabalizers as well as your muscles. when you have not developed the proper form, doing 5 x 5s for power is only asking to develop bad lifting habits because at that time you just dont have the power or foundation to truly utilized that kind of workout.

once you get comfortable with higher reps then progressively move towards lower reps with more weight, but for not they would be the best.

BENCH
its not uncommon to see someone new at benching who can push the weight but his arms shake the whole time because his stabalizers are weak, or on the way up his elows flare out too much, or one arm moves a little differently than another.

SQUAT
s its not uncommon to see someons whos knees want to bend inward when they begin struggle, or they cant keep their heels on the ground, or they bend forward too much or cant hit parallel, or instead of sitting back the knees come forward

DEAD
they can not manage to keep the arch in their low back, they dont drop their butt and use a lot of low back and little to no legs

these, along with several other bad habbits, you often see in new lifters. if any of these remind you of something you might be doing then you need to focus on creating the propper form before trying to add power

Yea, some… most remind me of something. What about the exercises? Those stay the same, just more reps, with lighter weight?
Squat, press, pull 3 days a week.

Thanks

[quote]FightorFlight wrote:
I really don’t believe that someone who is new into lifting should do 5 x 5’s. when you are new, higher reps with lighter weight are going to be better for you. this will help you solidify your form and strengthen your stabalizers as well as your muscles. when you have not developed the proper form, doing 5 x 5s for power is only asking to develop bad lifting habits because at that time you just dont have the power or foundation to truly utilized that kind of workout. [/quote]

I very much disagree. 5x5 is fine for a beginner, just not at a 5 rep max load. Start with light weight (Rippetoe suggests starting with just the bar) and move it up every workout until you stall out.

Well… I have been working out for 6 weeks, so I have my form somewhat down :slight_smile: Seriously though, I only started doing bent over rows recently because I’m just now able to keep my lower back from curving. Majority of form breakdowns FlightorFlight describes happen on the last rep, I never push for more reps if I can’t keep what I feel is good form (i realize what i consider good form might not be, but lowering the weight will not fix that).

Regardless of reps though, you guys all agree about the exercises?
Squat, press, pull 3 days vs the routine in the original post

[quote]dablya wrote:
Well… I have been working out for 6 weeks, so I have my form somewhat down :slight_smile: Seriously though, I only started doing bent over rows recently because I’m just now able to keep my lower back from curving. Majority of form breakdowns FlightorFlight describes happen on the last rep, I never push for more reps if I can’t keep what I feel is good form (i realize what i consider good form might not be, but lowering the weight will not fix that).

Regardless of reps though, you guys all agree about the exercises?
Squat, press, pull 3 days vs the routine in the original post[/quote]

yes i agree with that am sure others will agree.