Beginner Problem on Full Squats

First of all, my first post! English isn’t my native lanquage, so sorry if the’res some mistakes.

I’ve practiced martial arts for about 3 years, and just bought a gym card! I have always done full squats, all the way down.

Today i noticed that when at the bottom position (bar on my back), i seem to lift with my back, more than my thighs to get moving. Is this normal, should i just train so that i use only my legs? It seems to come naturally to include my back in it, when forcing only legs, they really feel worked after a few reps. Am i wasting my time by including my back?

BW squats are no problem, but of course the bar gives a bit more weight.

Before anyone warns my about fullsquats, i have got my knees to a better shape by doing them BW than they were at teenager when i still went to gym, and did only 90 degree squats.

First of all: this is common. Take a video of your squats from the back and look if your lower back rounds. Also do goblet squats as part of your warm up. Squats - especially if you’re interested in general fitness - should strain the legs more than the back.

Have to try these! Thanks!

There’s definitely something wrong with my technique at the lowest position. Feel it in my back.

Concentrate on initiating the “up” movement as a hip drive. Your back should stay rigid and straight, and merely act as a connection between your hips and the bar. Keeping a strong, tight core helps to accomplish this.

Concentrate on initiating the “up” movement as a hip drive. Your back should stay rigid and straight, and merely act as a connection between your hips and the bar. Keeping a strong, tight core helps to accomplish this.

[quote]pcdude wrote:
Concentrate on initiating the “up” movement as a hip drive. Your back should stay rigid and straight, and merely act as a connection between your hips and the bar. Keeping a strong, tight core helps to accomplish this.[/quote]

This.

If you’re not familiar with the hip drive/have poor posterior chain strength, then this will feel extremely uncomfortable. Fight through it and keep your back straight at all time.

If you could put up a video of you squatting, that would make it much easier to help you. You may not be tensing your core enough as you descend, which could cause your ass to shoot up first, and if you combine that with a probably weak lower back…yeah, you’re going to feel it in your back.

Do front squats