Beginner or Intermediate Lifts?

I’ve been lurking for a few months and decided to join and post so I can get some advice for my training.

Currently my main goal is strength, specifically, I would like to improve my maxes in the big 3. Eventually
I want to compete in a powerlifting competition but I would like to have a respectable total(1100lbs is my personal goal by Christmas '14) before I compete.
I’m 5’9" 200lbs ~18%bf.
Best Lifts:
Bench: 275lbs tng
Squat: 350 high bar slightly below parallel
Deadlift: 275x3 (had a lower back injury just now gettin into Dl again)

I’m currently running smolov jr for bench and squatting heavy twice a week.

What program would you suggest? Should I try madcow 5x5 or a similar program?

madcow would be fine.

How long do you think I could continue to progress on a program such as madcow?

[quote]Iamjobro wrote:
How long do you think I could continue to progress on a program such as madcow? [/quote]

((5 * 16.46532 - 24)/2)^2 days, give or take a couple. That’s the most exact time frame anyone here can give you.

Or, if you think my bullcrap formula is as reliable as anyone else’s guess, feel free to use someone else’s complete guess.

Take home point: no one can tell you that with any certainty.

I enjoyed high volume training such as a modified GVT routine. Saw significant gains in all lifts both in size and strength.

[quote]staystrong wrote:

[quote]Iamjobro wrote:
How long do you think I could continue to progress on a program such as madcow? [/quote]

((5 * 16.46532 - 24)/2)^2 days, give or take a couple. That’s the most exact time frame anyone here can give you.

Or, if you think my bullcrap formula is as reliable as anyone else’s guess, feel free to use someone else’s complete guess.

Take home point: no one can tell you that with any certainty.[/quote]

You’re right I’m not lookin for a time frame I guess. I’m more interested in when others have stalled using these types of programs. How about you? What worked best for you?

[quote]Iamjobro wrote:

[quote]staystrong wrote:

[quote]Iamjobro wrote:

Take home point: no one can tell you that with any certainty.[/quote]

You’re right I’m not lookin for a time frame I guess. I’m more interested in when others have stalled using these types of programs. How about you? What worked best for you?[/quote]

I didn’t run Madcow’s long enough to see when or if I would stall. I also started doing it when I started a cut. I dropped 35 lbs over 3 months, and my strength only barely increased. Before that, I was doing Starting Strength. So I guess I never really “progressed” on it, but my goal was to not drop strength during my cut so it was a success in my book.

I switched over to 5/3/1 after that not because I didn’t believe Madcow wouldn’t work for me anymore, but because my goals changed and I believed 5/3/1 was better suited for me. I like Madcow, and wish I would’ve stuck with it instead of switching honestly, and think you can see good progress on it for quite a while honestly.

Thanks for the reply StayStrong. I need to drop a few pounds anway. As long as my strength doesn’t go down on madcow I will consider it a success.