Beginner Friendly Strongman Contest in NC

The Strongest Man st the Y will be held April 9, 2011 at the Salisbury, NC YMCA. This contest started in 2009, there is a Spring and Fall contest each year. If you have never competed before this is the perfect introduction to strongman. It’s a non NAS sanctioned event, entry fee is only $25 and first place in each of 4 weight classes is $250 cash. Events:

-bus pull
-atlas stones (probably 170, 235, and 280lbs)
-circus dumbbell press
-fingal fingers
-prowler sled push

Silverback Strength Equipment will be one of the sponsors- cambered squat bars, push sleds, atlas stones, and 2" axles will be available to try out and buy the day of the contest.

Facebook page Redirecting...

Media coverage http://www.salisburypost.com/Area/081709-Strongman-competition

There are 4 weight classes:
< 175 lbs
176 - 210
211 - 250

251 lbs

There will be a 40 and over class this year! Also, one of the contest sponsors is giving away a 2" thickbar, check out Silverback Strength Equipment on Facebook for details.

Anyone considering competing?

If it works out that I can get some others to compete with me and share gas money I might drive up from Atlanta.

DATE OF THE CONTEST HAS BEEN CHANGED TO SATURDAY, APRIL 9th.

Well now I’d have to choose between my first PL meet and my first Strongman competition. That’s not fair!

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
Well now I’d have to choose between my first PL meet and my first Strongman competition. That’s not fair![/quote]
Strongman is more fun!

Here’s the entry form…http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=154998107888767&set=a.154998104555434.49266.108665365855375&theater

I weigh 180lbs very athletic, and my bench, squat and deadlift is 165/225/315lbs respectively. Should I consider competing yet? I love the beginner friendly idea and I really want to compete at some point. I don’t necessarily care to win the first go round but I want some opinions if anyone thinks I’d be competitive?

[quote]SpideyJuiced wrote:
I weigh 180lbs very athletic, and my bench, squat and deadlift is 165/225/315lbs respectively. Should I consider competing yet? I love the beginner friendly idea and I really want to compete at some point. I don’t necessarily care to win the first go round but I want some opinions if anyone thinks I’d be competitive? [/quote]
Yes you could be competitive in this contest, much of this contest is about athleticism (timed events), it’s less about static strength.

Open practice days will be April 5 and April 7th, everyone is welcome to come try out the events.

I am definitely going to have to rally up my guys. I want to give this a shot. Thanks so much for the info, hope to see everyone there!

[quote]SpideyJuiced wrote:
I am definitely going to have to rally up my guys. I want to give this a shot. Thanks so much for the info, hope to see everyone there! [/quote]
Bring as many as you can, it’s a great time!

Thomas Bowman, the maker of Tommy Tack tacky will be there, competitors will be able to use Tommy Tack on the atlas stones event at no charge. Also Tommy Tack will be offered at a discounted price & awarded to the winner in each class.

If only I lived close, I would totally do this.

I’ll have some Silverback Strength Equipment stuff for sale tomorrow, save on shipping!

• 170lb & 150lb atlas stones, $90
    -240lb atlas stones, $100
    -Prowler push sled, $140
    -Fatbars, $75
    -Circus DB trainers, $45