T Nation

Beginner: FlyinFungi's Life Changing Post

Hi there,

New prospective bodybuilder. I recently lost 50lbs of weight over 6 months and want to start gaining some muscle. I am an intellectual at heart so I have been reading A TON! 3-5 books, all the ?beginner? articles here, and other forums. What I have learned is figuring out what to do is hard.

Everyone has their own way to do it and it makes life so confusing. Especially supplements, I don?t trust them yet except for Whey, meal replacements, and multivitamin. That will likely wane with time as I get more into bodybuilding.

What I am looking for is some input on what you think of what I got below. I am starting to run with it tomorrow. Many of you may say for being such a novice I should run with anything and it will be great, but I want to do it right from the start!

It took me 6 months to lose 50 lbs and I am looking forward to changing my body with weight training now. I am VERY determined to do this. I am a person when he sets his mind on something he does it. And right now I am VERY VERY set.

One big question I would like to ask is should I aim for weight gain right now or weight lose? I still am more pudgy then what I would like, but really want to get into gaining some muscle too. I know you can?t (easily) gain muscle and loose fat.

Thanks for any input you guys could offer me. And please ask me any questions I could use to clarify anything I have said.

Current Goal: Gain some muscle and tone my body.
Long Term Goal: 200 lbs at 10% body fat.

Weight: 195
Height: 6? 3??
BF: 14-18%
Bodytype: Part Ectomorph, part Mesomorph (I think)
BMR:2068
Active BMR: 2481.2

Lose Weight: ~2000 Calories
Gain Weight: ~3000 Calories (That seems like a ton)

I figured my BMR to be 2067.7 with an activity modifier of 1.2 to get 2481.2 calories a day.

Macronutrients
40% Carbs
30% Protein
30% Fat

5 Meals a day, one likely taken with Syntha-6. Meal replacement looked good.

Monday
Barbell or DB Bench Press 3 X 6-10
Barbell or DB Incline Press 3 X 6-10
Barbell or DB Shoulder Press 2 X 6-10
DB Side Lateral 2 X 6-10

Tuesday
Pull-Up or Lat Pulldown 3 X 6-10
Bent Over Row or Seated Cable Row 3 X 6-10
Barbell Shrug 2 X 6-10
DB Shrug 2 X 6-10

Thursday
Squats or Leg Press 3 X 6-10
Stiff Leg Deadlift or Leg Curl 3 X 6-10
Lunges 3 X 6-10
Standing Calf Raise 2 X 6-10
Seated Calf Raise 2 X 6-10

Friday
Barbell or DB Curl 3 X 6-10
Skull Crusher 3 X 6-10
Cable Curl 3 X 6-10
Tricep Pressdown 3 X 6-10
Barbell Forearm Curl 3 X 6-10

[quote]FlyinFungi wrote:
Hi there,

New prospective bodybuilder. I recently lost 50lbs of weight over 6 months and want to start gaining some muscle.
[/quote]

Nice job. Welcome aboard!

You are on the right track… sort of. There are a lot of bunk supps on the market today, no doubt. But some are worth their price tag. Just keep doing research, and keep focusing on what you are doing. Supps are not a crucial element for you right now.

Sure you can. Lift heavy, eat right. 10%bf is very attainable while making strength gains. Just lift like you are bulking, and eat extremely clean. Experiment with the calorie intake to get your optimal results.

It really comes down to what you WANT to do. Get the rest of that fat off and then start going for the extreme mass, or just get down to brass tacks and start blowing up. I am a proponent of lighter and stronger rather than blob strength.

I would recommend the Starting Strength program for you. You seem perfect for it. Maybe put down the curls for a bit. Build your baseline strength. Keep a log, and keep your head down.

Good luck!