Beginner EDT!

I am currently have a workout buddy that wants to get into…well…working out. He has never been in any sports besides golf so he isn’t exactly the most coordinated guy in the world.

I have introduced him to the Big Three and have had him on a Westside conjugate method for about a month(its what im doing and i didn’t want to have to teach him how to properly workout with a different program than mine cuz it would take him too long).

Basically i think that now he has a pretty good idea of intensity of working out and basically how to properly do exercises(although his form isn’t great yet, he cheats a lot so im trying to help that). Do you think that EDT would be a good workout for him? I want to give him more volume with compound exercises so he can get his technique and motor recruitment better but i don’t wanna burn him out.

He isn’t REALLY dedicated so far as diet and things like protein powders and such. I don’t think he will be until he sees results in a couple months or so. this is the current plan i wanna put him on. it will be an upper lower split.

Monday
Horizontal Push
Horizontal Pull (15 min)

Vertical Push
Vertical Pull (10 min)

Bicep
TRiceps (5 min)

Tuesday
Box Squats
Deadlifts (20 min)

Calves
Abs (10 min)

Wednesday
Off

Thursday
(monday’s workout maybe…i don’t know if he will be really sore from edt possible just a feeder workout to flush the muscles)

Friday
(Tuesday’s workout maybe…if he was good for thursday then i will do it. If he needed a flush workout then this will be as follows.)

Horizontal Push PUll (10 min)
Vertical push pull (10 min)
Back Squat, Good mornings (10 min)
Bi’s and Tri’s (5 min)

I picked this because this will be easy for him to be able to keep track of progression without me being on his back all the time. I would have him add like a minute to every workout for like four weeks and then back off for a week, then restart. I think there should be enough time between subsequent workouts.

I don’t know if it is because He doesn’t have a great mind-muscle connection yet or cuz he’s a newbie but his recovery from workouts seemed to be better than mine even when we trained with the same program. he wasn’t as sore as long. critique this plz. i have four days before we work out again so i have plenty of time for responses.

I really want him to see gains cuz he has like a split btw a meso and endomorphic body and weighs 180 at five feet 9 inches tall without looking that chubby. I think he could be hyooge so i wanna start him off good.

Hes gonna have to eat for EDT!!!

[quote]That One Guy wrote:

Monday
Horizontal Push
Horizontal Pull (15 min)

Vertical Push
Vertical Pull (10 min)

Bicep
TRiceps (5 min)
[/quote]

IMO thats TO much EDT for one day two pressing pulling PR zones do onme then assitance or Isoltion exercise for EDT like the bis and tris. Do he OH pressing another day on an EDT format or a few sets of each.

NO donmt even try that a DL and squat paired your trying to kill him. Both of those lifts aare HUIGE and use a ton of the same muscle as opposed to an antagonist pair in EDT which help aid recovery of eac. Pair a squat or DL with an ab move IMO

do a seacrh for My EDT Critique I did one with compound and many ppl chimed in even charles him self.

[quote]
Calves
Abs (10 min)

Wednesday
Off

Thursday
(monday’s workout maybe…i don’t know if he will be really sore from edt possible just a feeder workout to flush the muscles)

Friday
(Tuesday’s workout maybe…if he was good for thursday then i will do it. If he needed a flush workout then this will be as follows.)

Horizontal Push PUll (10 min)
Vertical push pull (10 min)
Back Squat, Good mornings (10 min)
Bi’s and Tri’s (5 min)
.[/quote]

IMO do an upper lower split one day DL, one sqaut, one OH press one horizontal each with there antagonist pairs EDT 15 mins and mop up with isolation or assistance work

Phill

Echoing Phill, I would spare the volume for beginning someone on EDT. EDT is H.A.R.D., period. A 15 minute zone of simple movements like DB bench presses and BB curls can feel like plenty, if done right. Listen to Phill’s recommendations above.

The thing about EDT is that one’s competitive nature is brought out front and center. I think probably one either gets hooked or they dont, depending on the personality. Im sure the same could be said for weight-training generally. Your friend will either get the bug or not.

Beginners are the only people for whom 3 sets of 10 is the most appropriate.

Just start him out 3x10 for 3 weeks, then
4x8 for three weeks, then
5x5 for three weeks, then
8x3 for three weeks, then
take a week off,

then see about EDT

– ElbowStrike

EDT is great for beginners and anyone who is learning/relearning proper form. A beginner, through the sheer volume of repetition, learns great form, which is probably the most ignored aspect of weight-training.

It also protects one from the folly of over-exuberance, when done properly ie trying to lift beyond one’s ability.

The mental focus is intense and the sessions, though exhausting, can be quick, another plus for a newbie testing the waters.

A newbie is also taught to focus on beating him/herself ie previous performance, and pay less attention to the ego.

There is much to be said, I think, for EDT for beginners. However, go easy with the number of exercises and be wise with the pairings.

[quote]Scotacus wrote:
EDT is great for beginners and anyone who is learning/relearning proper form. A beginner, through the sheer volume of repetition, learns great form, which is probably the most ignored aspect of weight-training.

It also protects one from the folly of over-exuberance, when done properly ie trying to lift beyond one’s ability.

The mental focus is intense and the sessions, though exhausting, can be quick, another plus for a newbie testing the waters.

A newbie is also taught to focus on beating him/herself ie previous performance, and pay less attention to the ego.

There is much to be said, I think, for EDT for beginners. However, go easy with the number of exercises and be wise with the pairings.[/quote]

EXACTLY I think EDT is great choice but if using compounds dedicte each day to ONE big ass pair and add fluff from there the work has been done.

Phill

yeah ive never done edt so i wasn’t sure how it was volume wise. thanks for the help