Beginner Diet and Exercise

This is my first week in bodybuilding. I am 120 pounds, 5 feet 10 inches [yes I am very small], 19 y/o. As far as training is going I am concentrating the exercises like squat, bench press, deadlift, military press, chin-up, rows etc with very light weights and perfecting the form as per the instruction by Busting Ass 101. Then I have decided to start the Beginner Program by Chad Waterbury in his article Big Boy Basics. Is this good program for a newbie.

As far as diet is concerned here is what I am taking this time around. I am from India so it would be different from US.

Meal 1- 2 whole eggs, 1 Banana, 2 breads, 1 glass of milk.

Meal 2-Oatmeal, 1 glass of milk.

Meal 3-Rice, Pulses, Veggies.

Meal 4-Rice, Chicken or Meat, Veggies.

Meal 5-[Pre Workout]-2 eggs, 1 Banana, 1 glass of milk, 1 bread.

Post Workout- 2 glasses of milk, Dextrose [I do not any money for supplements right now-no regrets]

Meal 7-Rice, Pulses, Veggies.

Meal 8 [Before Bed]- Cheese, 1 glass of milk.

Is this diet program OK. The only supplement that I take is a multivitamin. I also try to drink a 1 gallon of water every day.

Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Good Luck, and welcome. Your circumstances are not ideal if you cannot buy any supplements. But for a begginer that diet looks fine, heck if you are 120lbs you would make gains following that diet anyway. Just a question, this may be extremely ignorant of me, but arn’t many asians lactose intollerant?

Good Luck.

As a newbie, you’re probably going to see results no matter what you eat. But in a couple months, gains will stagnate. This is when it becomes crucial to dial in your nutrition.

At first glance, I’d say you’re way low on protein consumption. It is very difficult to get the recommended 1-1.5 grams per lb of body weight without using powders.

You mention not having money to spend on supps, but protein powder should really be considered a “food”. If you don’t use powder, you probably end up spending much more on food overall.

If you still don’t want to use powders you might want to consider adding canned tuna/salmon, cottage cheese, and/or powdered milk to your diet to boost protein consumption. These are easy, cheap ways to help you out.

Hope this helps…

Nick

[quote]ntroych wrote:
As a newbie, you’re probably going to see results no matter what you eat. But in a couple months, gains will stagnate. This is when it becomes crucial to dial in your nutrition.

At first glance, I’d say you’re way low on protein consumption. It is very difficult to get the recommended 1-1.5 grams per lb of body weight without using powders.

You mention not having money to spend on supps, but protein powder should really be considered a “food”. If you don’t use powder, you probably end up spending much more on food overall.

If you still don’t want to use powders you might want to consider adding canned tuna/salmon, cottage cheese, and/or powdered milk to your diet to boost protein consumption. These are easy, cheap ways to help you out.

Hope this helps…

Nick[/quote]

NO as a newbie his gains will NOT stop after a couple of months. At that point "dialing in nutrition’ will be secondary to altering workout.

I am a little concerned about how much protein is coming from milk, but I also don’t know what pulses are. That said, a rough addition shows around 120g protein and that gets the ball rolling here.

At 120 lbs–getting adequate protein should not be a problem. Protein powder is more of a staple as the weight goes up and life gets in the way.
I always worry about powder guys. What about all the ‘other things’ you get with real food. Real food should always trump powders. Powders are a convenience, not a food for a 120lber.

I agree with added fish and other meats to the diet. With that much dairy, I amy avoid cc and cheese.

At your weight, don’t worry so much about 8 meals a day. Eat big and don’t get hungry.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
ntroych wrote:

Hope this helps…

Nick

NO as a newbie his gains will NOT stop after a couple of months. At that point "dialing in nutrition’ will be secondary to altering workout.

I am a little concerned about how much protein is coming from milk, but I also don’t know what pulses are. That said, a rough addition shows around 120g protein and that gets the ball rolling here.

At 120 lbs–getting adequate protein should not be a problem. Protein powder is more of a staple as the weight goes up and life gets in the way.
I always worry about powder guys. What about all the ‘other things’ you get with real food. Real food should always trump powders. Powders are a convenience, not a food for a 120lber.

I agree with added fish and other meats to the diet. With that much dairy, I amy avoid cc and cheese.

At your weight, don’t worry so much about 8 meals a day. Eat big and don’t get hungry.[/quote]

Agreed.