T Nation

Beginner Deadlift Question

When deadlifting, are you supposed to keep your biceps tense or slack? Should you try to your arms flexed a little, or allow them to extend as far as possible?

Thanks.

relax them arms

If your arms are straight, then I really don’t see how your biceps will come into play.

I don’t see how you can have anything but straight arms if you’re pulling a lot of weight. I definitely can’t curl what I deadlift, not even slightly.

[quote]Mister B wrote:
When deadlifting, are you supposed to keep your biceps tense or slack? Should you try to your arms flexed a little, or allow them to extend as far as possible?

Thanks. [/quote]

This board has officially gone to shit.

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:
Mister B wrote:

Thanks.

[/quote]

Dude, its a beginners question in the beginner’s fourm.

[quote]elano wrote:

Dude, its a beginners question in the beginner’s fourm.[/quote]

That’s one way of looking at it I suppose.

Seems to me there are countless articles, threads, and videos circulating through cyberspace that might demonstrate the proper arm postion for a deadlift.

I guess researching a topic is just a bit too old-fashioned nowadays…

Flex your triceps, not the biceps…

arms should be relaxed and as straight as possible throughout the entire movement, let your back and legs do the work not your arms

elano wrote:

Dude, its a beginners question in the beginner’s fourm.

That’s one way of looking at it I suppose.[/quote]

Ya know, lately it seems like a lot of people have come down with this disease called “I forgot that, at some point in my life, I was a beginner and probably asked a few ‘stupid’ questions too.”

[quote]
Seems to me there are countless articles, threads, and videos circulating through cyberspace that might demonstrate the proper arm postion for a deadlift.

I guess researching a topic is just a bit too old-fashioned nowadays…[/quote]
It just would’ve been more productive if you pointed the dude to one of those resources, rather than taking a potshot at him.

Mister B, as others have said, the arms should be straight, not bent. Once you start the lift, everything will get loaded and all the arm muscles (and plenty others) will tense up, but the arms themselves shouldn’t be bending.

Here’s a thorough explanation of the deadlift and variations:

[/quote]