Beginner - Chest Routine

how does this chest workout look? I am trying to get bigger. please give suggestions. Thanks

CHEST

Bench Press 1 warm up set then�?�
1x8 add more weight
2x6

Incline dumbbell flys or Incline bench press
3x8

Cord front lateral raises w/ palms up (dont know the actual name)
3x12

Chest cable flys
3x12

Chest Flys
3x10

End pushups max out

how do you set up the rest of your split?

[quote]LTD wrote:
how does this chest workout look? I am trying to get bigger. please give suggestions. Thanks

CHEST

1x8 add more weight
2x6

3x8

3x12

Chest cable flys
3x12

Chest Flys
3x10

End pushups max out

[/quote]

Its hard give help if we only know a portion of your routine. That being said, I would take out one or two of the exercises and add in some rows. You’ve got enough chest excersices here. Also I do tris on chest day so that could be another change you make. If your looking for critism about the sets/reps, it looks pretty good for growing I just think there is alot of volume.

What do you think the flys are going to accomplish that the cable crossovers didn’t? It it was up to me you’d pick two movements and pound one for strength and use the second to pump up to your hearts desire(because you are going to regardless). Take the time to figure out what is worth your energy and what isn’t, there is a lot of “what isn’t” in routines like this.

I think it’s better if you pick 2-3 compounds that hit the chest from different angles (like the flat bench and inclines you have there), and then add a finisher (like the flyes OR crossovers).
Both flyes and crossovers is a bit redundant.

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
I think it’s better if you pick 2-3 compounds that hit the chest from different angles (like the flat bench and inclines you have there), and then add a finisher (like the flyes OR crossovers).
Both flyes and crossovers is a bit redundant.[/quote]

Agreed. Drop a bomb on the chest by doing flat for three sets, incline for three sets, and then chest oriented dips with a wide grip and chin tucked into chest. Then you can finish up with some cable and dumbbell flies.

D

thanks for the help so far, im trying to put together a 3-4 day split, so far ive just made a chest routine and a bicep routine… ill be adding soon thanks again

[quote]LTD wrote:
thanks for the help so far, im trying to put together a 3-4 day split, so far ive just made a chest routine and a bicep routine… ill be adding soon thanks again[/quote]

SQUAT!

bicep routine? wtf?

Someone save the poor soul. So far he’s built a chest, and a bicep routine, it’s headed for disaster.

i dont only workout these areas… these are the two areas that i have made a routine that i follow. the others i do different exercises every time i go… im 6" 155lbs lookin to get bigger. if anybody would like to post a routine it would be much appreciated

[quote]LTD wrote:
i dont only workout these areas… these are the two areas that i have made a routine that i follow. the others i do different exercises every time i go… im 6" 155lbs lookin to get bigger. if anybody would like to post a routine it would be much appreciated
[/quote]

Have you checked out this article? It sets out how to structure your prog, number of exes, sets/reps, exe order…everything!

www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1701042

www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1702383

otherwise if you’re not sure, you might be better choosing a ready made prog from one of the authors on here.

If you work your chest you must work your back. If you work your chest and back, your arms will take care of themselves. Your legs contain your biggest muscles. Work them the hardest.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
LTD wrote:
thanks for the help so far, im trying to put together a 3-4 day split, so far ive just made a chest routine and a bicep routine… ill be adding soon thanks again

SQUAT!

bicep routine? wtf?

Someone save the poor soul. So far he’s built a chest, and a bicep routine, it’s headed for disaster.[/quote]

He’s a begginner bro, and there is nothing wrong with a bicep routine as long as he is not neglecting other bodyparts.

OP you should have a balanced workout regimen hitting all bodyparts. Don’t enter the trap of the classic Chest and Bi’s syndrome thet many newcomers fall into. Chest and Biceps are great, but there even better with a balanced physique.

Thanks for all of your help everyone(lift and eat, austin_bicep, etc). I have read the two articles and I have made myself a routine, (I have NOT made one for legs yet, it will be coming soon). So far this is how things look, let me know if I should change an exercise, the # of sets, the # of reps, etc.

Day 1 â¿¿ Chest

CHEST:

1x8 add more weight
2x6

3x8

3x12

Chest cable cross-overs
3x12

Chest Flys
3x10

Day 2 - Back & Biceps

Biceps:

Barbell curls
3x10

Dumbbell curls
3x10

Cable curls (arms at 90 degrees and flexing motion, don’t know real name for it, sorry)
3x10

Preacher curls
3x8

Hammer curls using cord and rope grip
3x8

Upper Back / Rear Deltoids

chest-supported rowing
3x8

Wide-grip lat pulldown
3x10

machine seated row
3x8

Shrugs
3x12

Day 3 â¿¿ Triceps & Shoulders

Triceps:

Tricep dips
3x???(maximum I can do?)

flat DB triceps extension
3x8

cable triceps extension
3x12

Close-grip pushups max out

Shoulders

seated dumbbell shoulder press
3x8

Machine shoulder press (different grip than dumbbell shoulder press)
3x8

Dumbbell front lateral raises, Dumbbell side lateral raises, and Dumbbell shoulder press
(these three exercises done in a circuit⿦ no rest between each one, 3 exercises = 1 set)
3x15

Well, thanks again, let me know what you guys think.

If you work your chest you must work your back. If you work your chest and back, your arms will take care of themselves. Your legs contain your biggest muscles. Work them the hardest.