Beginner Bodybuilding Routine

Hey everyone, im new to the forums and have been training for 6 months. I was wondering what you guys think would be the best routine for someone starting out in bodybuilding. My main goal is to put on as much muscle as possible. Thanks for any replies.

bump, anybody have any suggestions?

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner?pageNo=1&s=forumsNavTop

Try that forum.

Give this a read

[quote]janson8000 wrote:
bump, anybody have any suggestions?[/quote]

Nobody has any suggestions because 1) you’re asking to be spoon-fed basic information on a website that is LITTERED with articles about training for all sorts of things and 2) you didn’t provide much useful information about yourself that would help guide advice: are you comfortable performing the big three compound lifts? Do you like them? Are you relatively strong? Would you prefer a body part split or a full body template?

Help us help you.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:

[quote]janson8000 wrote:
bump, anybody have any suggestions?[/quote]

Nobody has any suggestions because 1) you’re asking to be spoon-fed basic information on a website that is LITTERED with articles about training for all sorts of things and 2) you didn’t provide much useful information about yourself that would help guide advice: are you comfortable performing the big three compound lifts? Do you like them? Are you relatively strong? Would you prefer a body part split or a full body template?

Help us help you.[/quote]

Yes, i have good form and are comfortable performing all the compound lifts. No, im super weak. I can only squat 105, bench 120, and deadlift 200. I would do whatever split that would be best for putting on muscle

I’m pretty weak. I can only lift 105 on squats, 120 on bench, and 200 on deadlift. I don’t care what kind of split it is, i just want to do whatever routine that is best for putting on size.

[quote]janson8000 wrote:
I’m pretty weak. I can only lift 105 on squats, 120 on bench, and 200 on deadlift. I don’t care what kind of split it is, i just want to do whatever routine that is best for putting on size.[/quote]

My two cents, then, would be that, for you, right now, less is more. Pick a good beginner’s routine like StrongLifts, Starting Strength, or Westside for Skinny Bastards (you can find ANY of these on Google) and follow it to the letter for a few months. Those are all slightly different - read up on them and pick the one you like best, but once you pick it, don’t fuck around with it just because you think you can do it better. That’s how beginners spin their wheels: they start overthinking and trying to make routines “better” and lose sight of making actual progress.

Big bodies have been built using all sorts of routines: bodypart splits, full-body routines based solely on the compound lifts, and some mixture of those two approaches. Eventually you’ll figure out a more advanced routine than the ones mentioned above. But for someone squatting 105 pounds and benching 120, getting some basic strength matters more than whether you do extra calf raises on shoulder day or if you finish the workout with some drop sets.

Don’t major in the minors. Come back when you’re squatting 225 and benching 185 for some reps, then maybe it’s worth exploring a routine change.

Oh, and also: eat, and eat WELL. Get most of your calories from good quality meat, fruit, vegetables, and some sensible carbs. Ditch any crappy food that you’re eating. Beginner mistake #1 is usually nutrition-related, not a lack of effort in the weight room.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:

[quote]janson8000 wrote:
I’m pretty weak. I can only lift 105 on squats, 120 on bench, and 200 on deadlift. I don’t care what kind of split it is, i just want to do whatever routine that is best for putting on size.[/quote]

My two cents, then, would be that, for you, right now, less is more. Pick a good beginner’s routine like StrongLifts, Starting Strength, or Westside for Skinny Bastards (you can find ANY of these on Google) and follow it to the letter for a few months. Those are all slightly different - read up on them and pick the one you like best, but once you pick it, don’t fuck around with it just because you think you can do it better. That’s how beginners spin their wheels: they start overthinking and trying to make routines “better” and lose sight of making actual progress.

Big bodies have been built using all sorts of routines: bodypart splits, full-body routines based solely on the compound lifts, and some mixture of those two approaches. Eventually you’ll figure out a more advanced routine than the ones mentioned above. But for someone squatting 105 pounds and benching 120, getting some basic strength matters more than whether you do extra calf raises on shoulder day or if you finish the workout with some drop sets.

Don’t major in the minors. Come back when you’re squatting 225 and benching 185 for some reps, then maybe it’s worth exploring a routine change.

Oh, and also: eat, and eat WELL. Get most of your calories from good quality meat, fruit, vegetables, and some sensible carbs. Ditch any crappy food that you’re eating. Beginner mistake #1 is usually nutrition-related, not a lack of effort in the weight room.[/quote]

Agreed. Good stuff.

OP, you need to focus on TECHNIQUE and STRENGTH. You will have a difficult time building any muscle until you get your numbers in a decent range.

read 10 Dan John articles

Focus on getting your dips (or bench) push press (or strict press) squat and Deadlift stronger, perform a single with 95, 92, 90% of your daily 1rm for that day 10 sets of 3 reps with 80-85% of your 1-RM for that days max. Add in chin ups/lat pull downs/ pull ups rows and biceps curls after DL’ing for higher reps. Maybe more chest shoulders and triceps work after dips or bench and ohp on leg days warm up with leg curl for hamstring mass and stability in the squat then squat and maybe throw in some Bulgarian split squats

Recap: focus on getting the “main exercises” stronger then do appropriate volume with heavier weight within the 80-85% range then add in more pump/ stretch work. =] eat and grow