T Nation

Begginer's Advice Log

Ok, well, I joined a gym about 1 and a half months ago. As I’m sure you can tell from my pictures, I am naturally a very ectomorphic guy. I’m 17, 5’7 and 135lbs. In my book, very scrawny, but, a good 15 lbs heavier than I was 2 months ago, as hard to believe as that is.

I recently bought John Berardi’s Srawny to Brawny book, in hopes that it is aimed towards the smaller guy. I’m looking forward to following his guidelines, but I just wanted to post up here and get advice from T-Nation guys. As of right now, I’m trying to eat as much lean, clean foods as I can, but I’m sure I’m still not eating as much as I should.

Supplement-wise, I have been using Optimum Gold Standard as my protein, along with creatine and NOxplode before workouts. I have been doing mostly full body routines with as many compound sets as I can, with some isolation one body parts that lack. Thanks again for all the advice, and I promise to try and follow it as closely as possible.

[quote]HACBassoon wrote:
Ok, well, I joined a gym about 1 and a half months ago. As I’m sure you can tell from my pictures, I am naturally a very ectomorphic guy. I’m 17, 5’7 and 135lbs. In my book, very scrawny, but, a good 15 lbs heavier than I was 2 months ago, as hard to believe as that is.

I recently bought John Berardi’s Srawny to Brawny book, in hopes that it is aimed towards the smaller guy. I’m looking forward to following his guidelines, but I just wanted to post up here and get advice from T-Nation guys. As of right now, I’m trying to eat as much lean, clean foods as I can, but I’m sure I’m still not eating as much as I should.

Supplement-wise, I have been using Optimum Gold Standard as my protein, along with creatine and NOxplode before workouts. I have been doing mostly full body routines with as many compound sets as I can, with some isolation one body parts that lack. Thanks again for all the advice, and I promise to try and follow it as closely as possible.[/quote]

Id probably ditch the NO-Xplode myself, but otherwise a 15 pound gain over 2 months is pretty good, maybe even a little fast. Keep it up and dont be afraid to eat a cheeseburger every now and then.

What are YOUR goals? Many of us around here want to weigh AT LEAST 200 or so, so you have a long weigh to go before that.

Keep in mind that this stuff takes YEARS to accomplish, so dont get discouraged if the gains slow down and you lose an ab muscle or 2.

Thanks for the advice. Just out of curiosity, why ditch the NOXplode? Also, I’ve read that it can be a good routine to go to the gym less than frequent, with 2 days of rest in between. I don’t want to burn out, but I’d also like to go to the gym more frequently than that.

Would it hurt if I went more like 5 days a week? I guess I would have to use a split routine then?
I think my goal is to be around 160-180. I’m not really sure what a good weight would be at my height, I’m just mainly tired of being the weak short guy. I don’t mind putting on a little fat, if needs be. Thanks again.

[quote]HACBassoon wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Just out of curiosity, why ditch the NOXplode? Also, I’ve read that it can be a good routine to go to the gym less than frequent, with 2 days of rest in between. I don’t want to burn out, but I’d also like to go to the gym more frequently than that.

Would it hurt if I went more like 5 days a week? I guess I would have to use a split routine then?
I think my goal is to be around 160-180. I’m not really sure what a good weight would be at my height, I’m just mainly tired of being the weak short guy. I don’t mind putting on a little fat, if needs be. Thanks again.[/quote]

If you’re tired of being the weak skinny guy then ditch the mentality of having to eat 100% clean.

If your goal is to gain 30-50 pounds you’re gonna need to eat meat and potatoes, not just lettuce and celery.

A 3 day split would work good I think.
Being such a new-comer to weight training 5 days in the gym could possible be overwhelming.

Listen to your body and focus on lifting heavy and increasing the weight you use each week.
Eat 5-6 meals, and don’t sweat eatting fast food or pizza, right now at this point it’s your best friend, but don’t go overboard and eat at McDonalds everyday. Use good judgement.

If you have any more questions send me PM.

[quote]HACBassoon wrote:

I think my goal is to be around 160-180. I’m not really sure what a good weight would be at my height, I’m just mainly tired of being the weak short guy. I don’t mind putting on a little fat, if needs be. Thanks again.[/quote]

160-180… Thats a huge spread. If your like me, you’ll get to 180 and go “Nope…not good enough” and continue upward.

I would ditch the no-xplode because for the most part its worthless and it could potentially be dangerous, though thats probably an overblown story.

It doesnt have any science behind it really. If you take it and notice a huge boost of energy or pump or whatever it is that it does, I gues its worth it.