T Nation

Before Photos - What to Focus On?

Me and my gf want to take some photos to track our progress. Any tips?

have her take her top off

Go to rate my physique and read the sticky requirements.

[quote]PaddyM wrote:
Go to rate my physique and read the sticky requirements.[/quote]

So we should be posing? I thought to see the progress clearly, it was better to be relaxed?

I guess I learned something.

So the preferred set would be something like;

Flexed Quad
Back Double Bi
Side Chest
Front Abdominal-Thigh Isolation

?

Not gonna notice much muscle growth in a series of relaxed shots. If you’re both just trying to lose fat then I could maybe see a case for relaxed shots.

Well do front and back relaxed if you’re going for fat loss only I suppose, if not I would do those photos above so that when you come back with more mass we can see the improvements clearly. Use the same room, lighting etc… as well.

go to how they track progress on the v-diet, pictures just have to be the same each time and it would probably be good to do some tape measurements also. I wouldn’t recommend posting on RMP or doing posing pictures as a beginner.

[quote]synbin24 wrote:
have her take her top off[/quote]

Arf arf!

I wouldn’t post in RMP as a beginner.

Just take a few pics of your back and front relaxed and flexed. The same for your legs… Nothing to fancy, and it should not be that hard.

[quote]ZeroSleep wrote:
So we should be posing? I thought to see the progress clearly, it was better to be relaxed?[/quote]

I disagree with hitting specific poses like “the bodybuilding seven”, since the majority of people can’t do them correctly (different positions each time, don’t flex the same or at all, etc.)

General rules for progress pics:

• Wear what you’d wear to the beach (shorts/bathing suit), and wear the exact same outfit in each picture.

• Get at least a full body front, full body back, and full body side (one side or both. If you do one, be sure to do the same side in each pic - not left once, right next week, left again the week after). Just upper body, just lower body, and close-ups of bodyparts are optional.

EDIT: The pic above isn’t me, lest anyone be confused, thanks. It’s one of the “befores” in the V-Diet Before/After thread, and it’s pretty much exactly what I’m talking about.

• When you’re standing there just before the pic is snapped, leave your arms at your sides, take one or two normal breaths, and just after you exhale the last one… click. Don’t specifically think about your posture, don’t overthink the posing, just hit it and move on.

• Take new pics once a week at the most. Every other week is a better plan. Too often, and you’ll go nuts examining them for any change. Too infrequent ,and you can’t gauge how well your program is working.

• Track measurements as well as pictures, for when progress slows down. If you can’t notice an obvious change in the pictures but your inches are changing (for the better), you’re less likely to panic.

I’m going mainly for strength gain, with weight and size hopefully going up as well. I’m about 60 kg now, looking to add 9 kg of pure muscle mass by Jan. 1. She’s going mainly for strength gain, with some fat loss.

I’m doing a 5x5 program, she’s doing basically the same program as me, but 3x5, and started at lighter weights.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
I disagree with hitting specific poses like “the bodybuilding seven”, since the majority of people can’t do them correctly (different positions each time, don’t flex the same or at all, etc.)

General rules for progress pics:

• Wear what you’d wear to the beach (shorts/bathing suit), and wear the exact same outfit in each picture.

• Get at least a full body front, full body back, and full body side (one side or both. If you do one, be sure to do the same side in each pic - not left once, right next week, left again the week after). Just upper body, just lower body, and close-ups of bodyparts are optional.

EDIT: The pic above isn’t me, lest anyone be confused, thanks. It’s one of the “befores” in the V-Diet Before/After thread, and it’s pretty much exactly what I’m talking about.

• When you’re standing there just before the pic is snapped, leave your arms at your sides, take one or two normal breaths, and just after you exhale the last one… click. Don’t specifically think about your posture, don’t overthink the posing, just hit it and move on.

• Take new pics once a week at the most. Every other week is a better plan. Too often, and you’ll go nuts examining them for any change. Too infrequent ,and you can’t gauge how well your program is working.

• Track measurements as well as pictures, for when progress slows down. If you can’t notice an obvious change in the pictures but your inches are changing (for the better), you’re less likely to panic.[/quote]

Thank you, this helped a lot! :slight_smile:

Will do what you suggested I think, and then make a new post sometime in Jan with before/after pics to get some feedback on how we’re progressing.

Though in the V-Diet pics, it looks like they just stand there in the before pics, and really flex in the after pics, thus making it look like more has happened than it really has…?