Before Bed Meal?

This thought has been bothering me for some time and I can’t seem to get a good answer backed by some good facts was hoping maybe some of you could help me out because im getting mixed messages here.

Carbs before bed? Do it or dont? why or why not?
Some say yes some say no…

Proteins before bed such as meats eggs etc? do it or dont why or why not?

Ive been taking a shake before bed ( casein protein) or cottage cheese. I notice no difference in how I feel or muscle recovery time when I take it or when I dont. Ive been taking it just because of what I read and why its good to do. Thoughts on this topic as well?

Cheers

[quote]John33 wrote:

Carbs before bed? Do it or dont? why or why not?
Depends on goals and whether you handle carbs well, and if you need the calories to meet your caloric goals. I personally even as I’m bulking just stick to protein and Flameout before bed.

Proteins before bed such as meats eggs etc? do it or dont why or why not?
Any kind of slow digesting protein before bed is a good idea, such as the above

Ive been taking a shake before bed ( casein protein) or cottage cheese. I notice no difference in how I feel or muscle recovery time when I take it or when I dont. Ive been taking it just because of what I read and why its good to do. Thoughts on this topic as well?

Taking a whey/casein shake before bed won’t make immediate differences, but it’s about the long-term benefits

Cheers[/quote]

answers within your quote

Well, I’m interested in this subject as well since I see so much differentiation. However, the idea behind casein and its natural form found densely in cottage cheese is just to ensure a long duration of protein digestion so amino acids are dispersed about the body during the time you can’t be eating.

I assume you already know this as an explanation for doing what you’re doing, but if not, there you go.

Protein before bed, yes. Protein with everymeal, so that one is easy. The reason I eat protein before bed is because I eat protein (meals) frequently throughout the day and my last one falls right before bed, so I don’t go starving as I’m trying to fall asleep.

Your body is fasting over night, it would probably be in your best interest to have some protein in you for your body to use.

Meats or eggs? Why not? What ever you want. I personally have eggs or a shake (met.drive) with peanut butter or fishoil pre bed.

Carbs before bed? Depends. Are you bulking up or cutting down? If bulking up, I don’t see why not as long as that meal fits into your plan. While cutting down, the only problem I see with it is your carbs would most likely be limited.

With that said, why waste some carbs pre bed when you can use them at better times during the day when you would probably feel better eating them afterwards.

For example, If your only eating 150grams of carbs you’re most likely to eat them earlier on to have energy for the day and your workout. Why save them to eat them and then sleep. Seems silly to me.

I try having some slow digesting carbs at night. Beans+eggs,meat. That way I get some fiber, protein and slow digesting carbs for the night. I might also add some almonds. Cause almonds have a higher carb count then other raw nuts.

I just try to get as many damn carbs as I can. Keeps my muscles looking full, primed and ready for when I need to train. Yet I use up alot more energy the average person.

i have a cassein shake with cold water right before bed every night

[quote]elusive wrote:
Protein before bed, yes. Protein with everymeal, so that one is easy. The reason I eat protein before bed is because I eat protein (meals) frequently throughout the day and my last one falls right before bed, so I don’t go starving as I’m trying to fall asleep.

Your body is fasting over night, it would probably be in your best interest to have some protein in you for your body to use.

Meats or eggs? Why not? What ever you want. I personally have eggs or a shake (met.drive) with peanut butter or fishoil pre bed.

Carbs before bed? Depends. Are you bulking up or cutting down? If bulking up, I don’t see why not as long as that meal fits into your plan. While cutting down, the only problem I see with it is your carbs would most likely be limited.

With that said, why waste some carbs pre bed when you can use them at better times during the day when you would probably feel better eating them afterwards.

For example, If your only eating 150grams of carbs you’re most likely to eat them earlier on to have energy for the day and your workout. Why save them to eat them and then sleep. Seems silly to me.[/quote]

Im still confused because im under the impression that carbs before bed will become fat but thats only from what I read in some places some books and articles say otherwise

My own personal hypothesis is: Im thinking to myself based on the factor of the human bodies natural metabolic rate it would burn the calories of the carbs throughout the night as an energy source and use the protein to repair damaged tissue only?

What you guys think about this hypothesis?

No science behind this but I run better in the morning if I eat a couple bowls of ice cream before bed.

[quote]debraD wrote:
No science behind this but I run better in the morning if I eat a couple bowls of ice cream before bed.
[/quote]

You just sold me.