Before and After: 12 Weeks of Training with Josh Bryant

Several people had asked me for my thoughts and results of the 12 week training cycle I did with Josh Bryant. Here is a write up with some other info also thrown along.

I had been making consistant slow gains on my own. Had followed some programming but it was mainly stuff we made up and instinctive training. I felt like it was time for a change and starting looking for someone that could actually lead as a coach and just tell me what the hell to do.

One of the main reasons I ended up with Josh was money. 12 weeks of training and nutrition was IMO very cheap and I got a good vibe from him. Josh is also one of the few guys who has all the credentials you want to see but has also but up big numbers himself.

At the start of the 12 weeks my weight was 245lbs. My approx maxes were as follows;

Bench: 315

Squat: 405

Deadlift: 605

About halfway through the 12 weeks I had a setback and tweaked my back. At that point I had gotten up to 260lbs and was feeling very good. Thankfully I was only really down for 2 weeks. The end results of the 12 weeks are as follows;

Bench: 365 - 50lb gain from start of the cycle and a 30lb alltime PR

Squat: 500 - 95lb gain from start of cycle and a 75lb alltime PR - I crushed 500 and took a shot at 550. Missed out of the hole but had more in the tank, 520-530 probably

Deadlift: 655 - 50lb gain and 50lb alltime PR

My ending weight is approx 258 which is my own fault. Still, this is the quickest I’ve put on weight that fast, had gained 15lbs in 6 weeks prior to getting hurt.

My chosen sport is strongman so I’m very interested to see how these gains are going to carry over to other lifts, etc overhead press, stones. In 10 years of training this is hands down the best money I’ve every spent and would advise any interested to give Josh a try. Hope this is helpfull to someone out there.

Monopoly

Sick gains, congratulations! I have been looking into training with Josh Bryant lately and this just reinforces that it is definitely something I should do.

wow, those are some impressive gains!!

I am just starting out with Josh myself, 1 session in…half of those gains would be good :slight_smile:

Excellent gains! I’m on my second training cycle with him. I love/hate his stuff. It’s hard but it works .

I gained 50 lbs on my two board and twenty with my deadlift. I missed a 625 at my knees or it would have been 40. I think I can reasonably say he got my deadlift up thirty lbs .

Excellent gains! I’m on my second training cycle with him. I love/hate his stuff. It’s hard but it works .

I gained 50 lbs on my two board and twenty with my deadlift. I missed a 625 at my knees or it would have been 40. I think I can reasonably say he got my deadlift up thirty lbs .

30 pounds on your deadlift or your knee pull?

Can you please write what kind of training that was. Was it a split/fullbody? Similar to 531 od more similar to Westside?

By no means am I asking you for specifics or god forbid the whole program, I’m well aware that you paid for it. I’m just interested in general guidelines.

Thanks

Thanks guys! I am pretty happy with the results

TRT - I put 50lbs on my full pull, from 605 to 655

Hrastnik - Check out my training log

phenomenal improvement. I’ll be very interested to see how it carries over to events. I definitely want to train with Josh, I’ve had a long-standing goal in the bench I have yet to reach, and my deadlift is pathetic by strongman standards, but I hesitate to sign up before nationals because I havent seen any strongman competitors train w him. Doesn’t mean it wouldnt work tho.