Beer Question (This Involves Geography!)

So, I just hit a DL pr and decided to celebrate the wrong way. Drinking got me to thinking… Has anyone here heard of abita beer? More so… I want to know just how far from Louisiana (the origin of the beer) that the stuff is sold.

So, post where you bought it (city, State or both).

FYI, the pick is of the beers I’m drinking. I’m a raging alcoholic if you can’t tell. Oh, the turbodog bottle holder is a type of abita beer.

We get it in DC.

How do you like it? Honestly, its not my thing. More of an amber bock guy if you can’t tell.

We don’t get Abita in Iowa, but we do have Dixie brewing company here. It’s also a Louisiana beer, but it’s distributed by one of the big macro breweries. I have heard of Abita beer before, though.

Amber Bock is by far the most underrated beer available today. It’s really a solid beer, and not too pricey.

Do you like stouts and/or porters?

I’ve had it, but only in Louisiana. I remember it being refreshing and going down well, but I can’t say that it made a big impression on me. I’m sure if I looked hard enough, I could find it around here, but, I’m not going to spend a lot of time looking for a beer that has plenty of equals that are readily accessible.

DB

I’ve gotten it in San Diego, but it was part of a beer club. It was so long ago, I honestly can’t remember what I thought of it.

[quote]Synthetickiller wrote:
How do you like it? Honestly, its not my thing. More of an amber bock guy if you can’t tell. [/quote]

I don’t remember. I think it’s expensive here. Maybe I’ll try it.

Never heard of it. But I do live in Wisconsin, which is the Twilight Zone of beer distribution. I can’t get most of the beers that are made 50 miles away.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Never heard of it. But I do live in Wisconsin, which is the Twilight Zone of beer distribution. I can’t get most of the beers that are made 50 miles away.[/quote]

Where county/region are you? My good buddy in Adams County, which is bumblefuck as you probably know, drinks all kinds of good shit.

The nice thing is that you all have Spotted Cow.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
Never heard of it. But I do live in Wisconsin, which is the Twilight Zone of beer distribution. I can’t get most of the beers that are made 50 miles away.

Where county/region are you? My good buddy in Adams County, which is bumblefuck as you probably know, drinks all kinds of good shit.

The nice thing is that you all have Spotted Cow.[/quote]

Eau Claire. Is your buddy down by the Dells? Fun place in the Summer if you like big fat women in bikinis.

We do have a few gems, Spotted Cow being one of them. I bought a sixer of that last weekend. It was gone by Sunday, diet be damned!

The Viking brews out of Dallas, WI are really great too. They come in 4 packs and aren’t pasteurized.

Sprecher’s is great too. All this time I thought they only made root beer and pop.

So, I just hit a DL pr and decided to celebrate the wrong way. Drinking got me to thinking… Has anyone here heard of abita beer? More so… I want to know just how far from Louisiana (the origin of the beer) that the stuff is sold.

So, post where you bought it (city, State or both).

FYI, the pick is of the beers I’m drinking. I’m a raging alcoholic if you can’t tell. Oh, the turbodog bottle holder is a type of abita beer. [/quote]

I think I had some at the Sunset Grill in Boston Mass but I cant be sure I had tied on quiet a few pops at that point but the label looks familiar, the place I drank it had over 400 beers so who knows.

On another note…an idea, 50 states, 50 beers. Take a weekend and try to drink a beer from each one of these great united states.

Oh one last thought since we are at it could everyone post their favorite beer from their state. “Paper City Hefewiezen” Pittsfield Ma.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

Eau Claire. Is your buddy down by the Dells? Fun place in the Summer if you like big fat women in bikinis.

We do have a few gems, Spotted Cow being one of them. I bought a sixer of that last weekend. It was gone by Sunday, diet be damned!

The Viking brews out of Dallas, WI are really great too. They come in 4 packs and aren’t pasteurized.

Sprecher’s is great too. All this time I thought they only made root beer and pop.[/quote]

That’s near Iowa right? I know I’ve been there sometime.

My buddy actually used to work in the Dells at the Essen Haus. I spent a few drunken nights there, lol. I’ve never even heard of Dallas. I’ve spent most of my time straight up the middle of Wis in Madison, Westfield, and Ashland. Never got to see much of the east or west.

Another good one around there is Bells. They make some good stuff. That’s in Michigan, though I think it makes it over the lake.

This place…

http://www.southshorebrewery.com/old_index.html

they used to have good beer too. I lived wayyy up north for about year. I’d like to retire up there and drink beer all day!

[quote]beebuddy wrote:

Another good one around there is Bells. They make some good stuff. That’s in Michigan, though I think it makes it over the lake.

[/quote]

Bells makes great beer. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn’t tried it.

I’m a true lover of Yuengling, Red Stripe, Asahi, Sam Adams, and Killian’s.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

Sprecher’s is great too. All this time I thought they only made root beer and pop.

That’s near Iowa right? I know I’ve been there sometime.

My buddy actually used to work in the Dells at the Essen Haus. I spent a few drunken nights there, lol. I’ve never even heard of Dallas. I’ve spent most of my time straight up the middle of Wis in Madison, Westfield, and Ashland. Never got to see much of the east or west.

This place…

http://www.southshorebrewery.com/old_index.html

they used to have good beer too. I lived wayyy up north for about year. I’d like to retire up there and drink beer all day![/quote]

Nope, Eau Claire is about 100 miles east of MPLS/St Paul, so northwestern WI.

I’ve had Bells, Great Lakes Lager and another one where the name escapes me. Good shit though.

Dallas is a shithole of a town in central WI, population of about 1500, but the Viking Beer is awesome. If you are ever back in WI check it out. Invader and Copperhead are my favorites.

More of an amber bock guy if you can’t tell. [/quote]

To which I must ask, whyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Never heard of it. But I do live in Wisconsin, which is the Twilight Zone of beer distribution. I can’t get most of the beers that are made 50 miles away.[/quote]

Can you get Bell’s up there? They’re usually widely available across the midwest.

You can buy Abita at Bev Mo in San Diego, right alongside the Stone Ruination and Levitation that we wrote about in a thread a month ago.

[quote]mrw173 wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

Can you get Bell’s up there? They’re usually widely available across the midwest.[/quote]

Yep, but I’ve only seen a few options in the stores.

Abita Purple Haze is on tap at Strangebrew in Manchester, NH.

Strangebrew has 65+ beers on tap.

http://www.strangebrewtavern.net/SBT/Taps.html