T Nation

Beer Gut/Libido

[quote]T-Nick wrote:
More good info on SHBG

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=192test2[/quote]

It’s weird I typed “SHBG” and “obesity” for my google search and every article I found states that SHBG is lower in obese patients. That contradicts this site.

I’d say it’s more of a cortisol issue than estrogen. Cortisol is associated with belly fat, and it definitely suppresses Testosterone. So when you lose belly fat, your cortisol should decrease, and this could cause your test to increase? Just a thought, I’m not really sure…

[quote]Reef wrote:
I’d say it’s more of a cortisol issue than estrogen. Cortisol is associated with belly fat, and it definitely suppresses Testosterone. So when you lose belly fat, your cortisol should decrease, and this could cause your test to increase? Just a thought, I’m not really sure…[/quote]

Any increases in available T are probably followed by tracking levels of E which will reduce T production by feedback to the HPTA.

[quote]FakeJesus wrote:
has anyone here previously had a lot of abdominal fat coupled with a low libido but experienced their sex drive greatly increase when their waist became lean? I know in theory that’s supposed to happen yet just looking for first hand accounts.[/quote]

Yes. I lost weight around my mid section and my sex drive went up. However, when I was fat I drank a lot of liquor, and was not training.

I am sure my test production was low and estrogen was high. I was eating crappy then too.

Can’t say it was simply losing the fat that did it, but I will say I enjoy being naked or shirtless more.

[quote]FakeJesus wrote:
has anyone here previously had a lot of abdominal fat coupled with a low libido but experienced their sex drive greatly increase when their waist became lean? I know in theory that’s supposed to happen yet just looking for first hand accounts.[/quote]

Yes!

Probably part psychological, part hormonal, and increased energy (no more sleep apnea).

I had some sleep apnea too when I was heavier. I didn’t get diagnosed with it but would wake up a few times during the middle of the night and immediately have to take in a huge breath of air cause I had stopped breathing. Was especially bad when I slept on my back. I could still have it mildly because I often wake in the morning feeling worse than when I went to bed. Sleep is not refreshing.

However when I dropped as low as 178 I started noticing my sleep getting a lot better plus I would often sleep through the night or even require less sleep. But went back up to 185 and still trying to work off those holiday pounds.
I could kick myself in the ass for being 7 pounds up instead of down by now. I definitely noticed myself feeling even more like shit when I gained just those few pounds. Amazing in a way.

bump

[quote]SamsonsSon wrote:
Don’t train to failure or fatigue - leave the gym feeling like you could have done more.

[/quote]
Everthing makes perfect sense except the above. What are the drawbacks of hittin it hard and how do they stack up aginst the advantages?

[quote]SamsonsSon wrote:
Don’t train to failure or fatigue - leave the gym feeling like you could have done more.

[/quote]
Everthing makes perfect sense except the above. What are the drawbacks of hittin it hard and how do they stack up aginst the advantages?