Beer Gut/Libido

has anyone here previously had a lot of abdominal fat coupled with a low libido but experienced their sex drive greatly increase when their waist became lean? I know in theory that’s supposed to happen yet just looking for first hand accounts.

Im not sure is losing the ab fat would hve that effect or if it would be from you or or partner just liking what you see.

[quote]FakeJesus wrote:
has anyone here previously had a lot of abdominal fat coupled with a low libido but experienced their sex drive greatly increase when their waist became lean? I know in theory that’s supposed to happen yet just looking for first hand accounts.[/quote]

Yep, it whitens your teeth and give you a glossy coat, too.

More seriously, it is most likely a welcome side effect on your self esteem. Roll with it!

TQB (FFB)

Going from fatter to leaner will yield some sexual benefits.

One is your confidense will go up or strengthen. Even if you have a good confidense, if you are at a tighter harder weight it comes even stronger.

Two, if you have alot of abdominal fat “beer gut” and trim it down to a 4 or 6 pack ( just do the 6 ), your erections will be stronger.

Three, there are some other benefits you can imagine.

[quote]FakeJesus wrote:
has anyone here previously had a lot of abdominal fat coupled with a low libido but experienced their sex drive greatly increase when their waist became lean? I know in theory that’s supposed to happen yet just looking for first hand accounts.[/quote]

It happened to me. I used to weigh 375lbs and I had zero libido. Losing the weight (180lbs now) definitely improved my libido (as well as every other aspect of my life).

Fat produces estrogen, even in men. Estrogen is a powerful testosterone antagonist. The math is simple.

[quote]happydog48 wrote:
FakeJesus wrote:
has anyone here previously had a lot of abdominal fat coupled with a low libido but experienced their sex drive greatly increase when their waist became lean? I know in theory that’s supposed to happen yet just looking for first hand accounts.

It happened to me. I used to weigh 375lbs and I had zero libido. Losing the weight (180lbs now) definitely improved my libido (as well as every other aspect of my life).

Fat produces estrogen, even in men. Estrogen is a powerful testosterone antagonist. The math is simple.[/quote]

wow that’s a pretty amazing weight loss. Did you measure your waist before and after?
I’ve lost nearly 60 lbs myself and am about 184 right now which may not seem much, but my natural body weight where abs are visible is around 140 or even less. I’m 5’9 but have a slender skeletal structure.

Even so, my waist measures nearly 43 inches at the navel with a tape measure. When I was at my heaviest it measured 48 inches. So I lost a good amount of weight but not as much around the waist. Even not too long ago I was 178 with a 41 waist measurement but you know Thanksgiving came.

At that time I suddenly noticed an increase in libido and erection strength. But with just a few pounds added back it seems to be gone. 180lbs seems to be the tipping point for me. But it did give me some hope and was just wondering what others’ experiences with weight loss were.

[quote]FakeJesus wrote:
I know in theory that’s supposed to happen yet just looking for first hand accounts.[/quote]

Take a look at this book – The Hardness Factor. Six week fitness and supplement program by Dr. Steven Lamm MD. Links erection strength/libido to fitness level. Trys to improve both in a six week program.

www.thehardnessfactor.com/

“When a chick is smilin’ at you,
Even though there’s nothing said.
You stand there like a statue…
Jack, You dead.”

As happydog pointed out there is a direct correlation between high estrogen levels and abdominal fat and subsequent low testosterone levels - in fact one of the symptoms of low testosterone is belly fat and vice versa.

Also, increased cortisol, and insulin resistance probably come into play as well because the hormones out of wack and hence low/no libido. Stress and overtraining increases cortisol which increases belly fat, raises insulin levels and then muscle cells don’t uptake nutrients, leading to low energy, reduced strength, no libido, etc.

To keep insulin levels low reduce complex carbohydrate intake, cut out all processed foods and simple carbs (if its too hard, give yourself an occasional “cheat day”) and get adequate protein - key word “adequate”.

It all goes together - the body is a holistic organism. When you are healthy and have energy you feel good, when you feel good you have more confidence, when you have more confidence you are stronger - when you have confidence and a healthy personna the chicks dig you…etc, etc.

The very best thing you can do for your libido, health and general well-being is lose that gut asap. That is not to say you have to have a panty-waist - just get your gut down to a maximum of 35" or 1/2 your height in inches if you are over 5’10". (See my post Dr. Oz and Waist Size). Don’t train to failure or fatigue - leave the gym feeling like you could have done more.

Read “The Schwarzbein Principle” to get a handle on this - Dr. Schwarzbein is a world renowned endocrinologist and she explains it all very nicely.

All good stuff. I would like to add that one needs extra protein when doing training to loose weight. A good example, years back, was my wife who teamed with her sister to do the women’s fitness center thing. They did a lot of cardio and should have gained some muscle mass to help burn calories etc etc. Did not work. Their muscles cried for protein and did not get it. So they had greatly increased appetites and, now I know, simply ate too much of the wrong foods. I think that protein shakes could have altered that outcome.

When I started to get good muscle gains I had a huge increase in appetite. It was protein that I needed.

[quote]FakeJesus wrote:
wow that’s a pretty amazing weight loss. Did you measure your waist before and after?
I’ve lost nearly 60 lbs myself and am about 184 right now which may not seem much, but my natural body weight where abs are visible is around 140 or even less. I’m 5’9 but have a slender skeletal structure.

Even so, my waist measures nearly 43 inches at the navel with a tape measure. When I was at my heaviest it measured 48 inches. So I lost a good amount of weight but not as much around the waist. Even not too long ago I was 178 with a 41 waist measurement but you know Thanksgiving came.

At that time I suddenly noticed an increase in libido and erection strength. But with just a few pounds added back it seems to be gone. 180lbs seems to be the tipping point for me. But it did give me some hope and was just wondering what others’ experiences with weight loss were.[/quote]

I think I used to wear size 50 pants. I’m wearing size 32 today, so yeah, my belly has shrunken considerably.

Libido is a hormone deal but erections are more of a plumbing issue. Weight loss helps with both as long as you’re eating healthy and not just less. Don’t forget your fish oil.

My best advice for everyone reading this forum is to get your blood tested. Without the numbers, you’re really just guessing and that’s no way to get healthy and happy.

I was obese and my sex life was non-existent. I lost the weight by eating right and exercising regularly (training hard actually) and my sex life is back to where it was when I was 25 (I’m 55 now). So have heart, guys! Lose the weight, eat healthy, exercise regularly, have your hormone levels checked and my experience says you can have it all back again.

I have also lost a lot of weight this year, going from 243 to 207 as of two days ago.

(Just 15 lbs to go). Obvoiusly there are a lot of changes with the loss, including an increase in libido, but there is another benefit that is even more gratifying.

As we lose the abdominal fat, more of the penis is exposed. My tool looks much larger now, both flaccid (ugly word) and “angry”. I know it is really not, but more of the base third is usable, as the thick layer of fat in the lower abs and pubic area is gone. Erections are also harder.

Certainly makes “it” easier to “find”! :slight_smile:

Did any of you that lost a good deal of weight notice your sleep improve too? Was it more refreshing?

[quote]happydog48 wrote:
FakeJesus wrote:

Fat produces estrogen, even in men. Estrogen is a powerful testosterone antagonist. The math is simple.[/quote]

Fat doesn’t produce estrogen, it stores it. In men even more so than women.

The double wammy isn’t just estrogen. The main, and number one problem with the belly flab with respects to testosterone is the raising of SHBG(Sex Hormone Binding Globulin). It basically sucks up your free test, the test you need. And the problem? SHBG doesn’t completely return to previous levels after the weight is lost.

So if your fat, dont get any fatter. And be carefull when bulking. If SHBG isn’t a big enough case for a slow, healthy bulk, I don’t know what is.

[quote]T-Nick wrote:

The double wammy isn’t just estrogen. The main, and number one problem with the belly flab with respects to testosterone is the raising of SHBG(Sex Hormone Binding Globulin). It basically sucks up your free test, the test you need. And the problem? SHBG doesn’t completely return to previous levels after the weight is lost.

So if your fat, dont get any fatter. And be careful when bulking. If SHBG isn’t a big enough case for a slow, healthy bulk, I don’t know what is. [/quote]

“in men, extragonadal estrogen biosynthesis in a
number of sites, including adipose tissue, bone, various
sites of the brain, vascular endothelial and smooth muscle
cells”

The concern for E production in fat tissues, is that the amount of body fat can increase greatly. The increasing amount of fat, as many age, is one of the things that forces the liver to increase SHBG in response to the increased levels of E. So the link is there, but the key factor for the SHMB increase is the E. Age seems to be an independent driver of higher SHBG, but there are probably some intermediate reasons other than time.

Once one gains fat, the fat produces E which favours fat around the mid-section. One can get into a estrogen weight trap. Fat is for many the largest organ in the body. It wants to take over and change the hormone balance that favours its growth.

E is also produced in the testes. These do not get larger over time, and with reduced T levels of age, the E produced by the testes probably goes down as well. Some get concerned about HCG leading to more E generation in the testes. That would seem to be a valid concern for those taking very large amounts of HCG. But for doses, such as 250iu SQ EOD, that support base line testicular function, there is probably no reason to expect that the amounts of E produced by the testes would be above baseline.

As an example of the effects of E on fat distribution, women who take nolvadex, which stops some E effects on certain E receptors, will see a reduction of fat on their bellies, butt and thighs. E controls female fat patterns and men get the same effects as their T:E ratios change. The major point again is that at some point the fat starts to control and increase the fat levels; it takes over.

[quote]KSman wrote:
T-Nick wrote:

So if your fat, dont get any fatter. And be careful when bulking. If SHBG isn’t a big enough case for a slow, healthy bulk, I don’t know what is.

“in men, extragonadal estrogen biosynthesis in a
number of sites, including adipose tissue, bone, various
sites of the brain, vascular endothelial and smooth muscle
cells”

The concern for E production in fat tissues, is that the amount of body fat can increase greatly. The increasing amount of fat, as many age, is one of the things that forces the liver to increase SHBG in response to the increased levels of E. So the link is there, but the key factor for the SHMB increase is the E. Age seems to be an independent driver of higher SHBG, but there are probably some intermediate reasons other than time.

Once one gains fat, the fat produces E which favours fat around the mid-section. One can get into a estrogen weight trap. Fat is for many the largest organ in the body. It wants to take over and change the hormone balance that favours its growth.

E is also produced in the testes. These do not get larger over time, and with reduced T levels of age, the E produced by the testes probably goes down as well. Some get concerned about HCG leading to more E generation in the testes. That would seem to be a valid concern for those taking very large amounts of HCG. But for doses, such as 250iu SQ EOD, that support base line testicular function, there is probably no reason to expect that the amounts of E produced by the testes would be above baseline.

As an example of the effects of E on fat distribution, women who take nolvadex, which stops some E effects on certain E receptors, will see a reduction of fat on their bellies, butt and thighs. E controls female fat patterns and men get the same effects as their T:E ratios change. The major point again is that at some point the fat starts to control and increase the fat levels; it takes over.[/quote]

Thanks. Very interesting and cool. What a double wammy being fat is.

[quote]T-Nick wrote:
happydog48 wrote:
FakeJesus wrote:

Fat produces estrogen, even in men. Estrogen is a powerful testosterone antagonist. The math is simple.

So if your fat, dont get any fatter. And be carefull when bulking. If SHBG isn’t a big enough case for a slow, healthy bulk, I don’t know what is. [/quote]

T-nic do you have a source for this?

fat people shouldnt reproduce anyway

[quote]FakeJesus wrote:
T-Nick wrote:
happydog48 wrote:
FakeJesus wrote:

So if your fat, dont get any fatter. And be carefull when bulking. If SHBG isn’t a big enough case for a slow, healthy bulk, I don’t know what is.

T-nic do you have a source for this?

[/quote]

Yea, try a simple google search under SHBG. Lots of good info. I did alot of research on it and found that -

1. SHBG is directly related to BF levels.(discounting age of course)

2. SHBG is also directly related to glucose levels and insulin response

3. SHBG is an enormous problem with diabetics.

4. People with acne often have low SHBG(good). They often also have good test to estrogen ratios(good).

First 3 tie in together. The fatter you are, the worse your insulin response is and the higher SHBG goes up. The problem is, when you lose weight you will become less insulin resistant(good) but often SHBG doesn’t go back down(bad)

One nasty, vicious cycle.

As Ksman pointed out above, fat does produce estrogen(something I didn’t know) I was always under the assumption that fat stored estrogen(it does) but it also produces estrogen(yuck).

It seems like our bodies are really designed to NOT be fat, at least from a hormonal point of view.

More good info on SHBG

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=192test2