Been Training Around 1.5 Years. Bench and OHP Still Poor

Thanks everyone for your help. I’m going to buy the 2nd edition of 531 and have a read through that.

No there’s a door behind me that I use, I wouldn’t trust that ladder at all haha.

It varies but usually goes something like this:

Breakfast 8am - Shake (almond milk, 2 scoops whey protein, banana and 50g oats)

Snack 10:30am - peanut butter sandwich

Lunch 1:30pm - 2 burritos (chicken breast, rice, refried beans, onions, peppers, cheese)

Dinner 6:00pm - Spaghetti bolognese with garlic bread

Snack before bed - apple, crackers and hummus and packet of fridge raiders (basically small pieces of processed chicken)

If I haven’t met 3500 calories by the end of the day, I’ll have a few scoops of peanut butter and wash it down with milk.

2 Likes

A Brit I take it?

1 Like

I am, what gave it away? The fridge raiders? Bloody lovely them things.

1 Like

So - typically lack of progress (at the start of your lifting career) is down to 2 things.
Lack of effort in the gym
Lack of food out side of the gym.

Given your weight gain and the fact that you seem to be trying to get protein means it is unlikely to be diet. And you have made good progress on other lifts. So it is hard to see that you are not putting in the effort.

I would (as other people have suggested) try other programmes. And refocus on your diet.
Running something like BtM or super squats which not only have the workouts and diet attached.

2 Likes

Fridge raiders, crackers and spaghetti bolognese with garlic bread.

Welcome.

Is Spaghetti bolognese with garlic bread not a thing outside the UK?

And thanks man

I think it’s a pretty British thing. Like chicken tikka masala.

1 Like

I know what spaghetti is, and I know what garlic bread is, but that other word doesn’t even sound like a real food.

Guys, we’re lucky @samul isn’t here to laugh at everyone. Bolognese is an Italian sauce. “Spaghetti Bolognese” is just bastardized Bolognese sauce, which pretty much means that it’s just a meat sauce with spaghetti, much different from the traditional sauce. But Bologna is an actual place in Italy.

1 Like

To add to the fun, in Italian bolognese simply means something or someone that comes from Bologna. It has nothing to do with food, inherently.

If you were born in Bologna, you are a bolognese.

4 Likes

Showin’ up like the Flash, bro!

2 Likes

Thanks, very kind. I try to give back something positive.
Always good to see you posting also

2 Likes

Yep. Spaghetti Bolognese is to Italian food what Chicken Tikka Masala is to Indian food.

This is how it’s typically served. Note the way the sauce is haphazardly dumped on top of the dry, overcooked pasta. This is the tradition. @samul look away now.

4 Likes

Just had to note the moment of realization that my wife might be British. From Alabama, but British none the less. Like a spiritual connection or something.

5 Likes

How do you say “More Triceps” and “More Protein” in Italian?

2 Likes

Quite big in Denmark as well, had it only yesterday.

1 Like

That was absolutely hilarious.

I tend to joke as much as possible on here, but about this I am deadly serious: British food is disgusting.

2 Likes

Breakfast fry ups and meat pies would like a word with you, sir.

2 Likes

I am late to this discussion.
It looks like your routine follows reps of 7 or less in every workout.

Before going to 5/3/1 training, cycle through about 2 months of 3 sets of 10 reps, progressive. Then go to 5 sets of 5 reps, progressive for 2 months. Do this cycle for 10 months (finishing with sets of 10 reps) and then get into 5/3/1.

The lower reps build strength, followed by the higher reps that build size.

IMO don’t do max bench press reps unless you have a spotter, or be prepared to roll the bar down your chest or attempt to dump the weights off the bar to one side and then the other. Neither is much fun.

Never will they get close enough to my mouth for a conversation…

I remember stewed tomatoes and beans for breakfast. Who can justify such a crime?

2 Likes