T Nation

Been Out for 2.5 Years - Diving in at Nationals

So I haven't been lifting for about 2.5 years (strangely it coincides with getting married) and want to get back after it. I spoke with the state and national chairpersons for the NASA powerlifting federation and they are letting me enter the grand nationals competition at the end of June in Wisconsin (it's about 15 minutes from where I live). They have unequipped divisions, which I will enter, but I'm not sure if I'll be in the 198 or 220 weight class.

I'm hoping for any motivation, chastising, inspiration, advice, etc. I think I weigh about 217 right now (down from about 235 this past winter) and I want to post no less than a 1300 total, ideally a 1400. I realize it isn't fantastic numbers, but but hey, I have about 7 weeks to train and I've become a wuss!

My previous unofficial bests were 565 deadlift, 525 squat, and 330 bench. Those were all done weighing between 194 and 204.

On a shameless promotion note, feel free to further chastise me because I'm growing a mustache (but it is for charity). You can donate to my cause if you'd like, visit www.maystache.org. I'm John Jr. on the site, raising cash for the boys and girls club.

Thanks!

Jr.

That's awesome. Glad you decided to get back into it after the layoff.

I'm not going to chastise you, you lazy bastard. Some people just like to sit on their lazy ass for 2 1/2 years at a time, others like to train. It's a personal decision. :wink:

Look, there's nothing better to get you back in the gym than having a goal. Now that you have a goal, and a specific date, you have a reason to lift again. Just competing and getting a total is the first step to getting back to your original numbers. 525/330/565 as a 198 are some great numbers.

I wouldn't worry too much about whether you are a 198 or a 220 for his meet. Just get a little stronger, and train smart up to this meet.

There are plenty of people who would have been very happy not ever returning to the gym, let alone the platform, so you are taking the first step. Get out there and have some fun.

I wish you luck!

HAHA! John, you lazy bastard!

Hey MaloneTD, long time no see!

Yea, my laziness allowed me to balloon to 235lbs. Last night I weighed in at 215 so that's good. Realistically it would be good to just not injure myself training and competing for this meet, but I'd like to do a bit more than that.

Thanks for the encouragement Modi.