Beef

A few novice questions on beef as i’m new to the stuff. Firstly whats the difference between the cuts like silion, rump, ribeye and which one is best for bodybuilders. The second question is do you eat the stuff on the outside which I beleive is called ‘gristle’ beacuse it looks a bit suspect to me. Thanks.

I was at The Keg the other day, and we were talking about the same thing.

I came to the conclusion that I don’t know shit about beef, which is just wrong considering how much I love the stuff.

The prime rib was damn fine though. :slight_smile:

I'm lookint at it myself. Top round london broil is my top pick right now - at 30 grams protein, 5 grams fat (compare to 33 grams protein  and 5 grams fat for skinless chicken breast - practically the same), you can't go wrong. Salmon and steaks should be every weightlifter's staple foods.

While I’m fairly sure this has been covered a few times already (check the search engine), I’ll do what I can to help.

The main difference is primarily the amount of fat each type has, to the best of my knowledge. For the bodybuilder, the leaner cuts such as eye of round, flank and sirloin are what you want to emphasize. If you’re eating ground beef, I would stick to 93-96 percent lean. Personally I love eye of round…one of the leanest cuts of steak and tastes pretty good as well. I’ve also recently been introduced to buffalo meat, which is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

I eat a ton of eye of round. If you buy the entire roasts, you can get them very cheap (well under $2 per pound in the summer).