Beef Tartar is Yummy

Beef Tartar or Steak Tartare is a dish of raw beef, with minced onions, capers, and an egg broken into the beef.

Here is a picture.

I had some some ground beef in my fridge that I bought to make burgers.

I always wondered what beef tartar tasted like.

So I mixed it with onions and chopped garlic
and left it in a a marinade of lemon, vinegar and some vodka to kill the germs for a few hours.

Then pulled it out broke an egg into it and chowed down.

I must say…this is by far the best thing I’ve ever eaten.

Anyone else, eat this?

My favorite dish of all-time is the steak tartare at Red Square in Mandalay Bay in Vegas. I would be a little concerned eating raw ground beef obtained from the grocery store, although the tartare from the restaurant probably gets it from the same place. Can’t sue yourself, though, if you get violently ill.

Sounds nasty but I’d give it a shot if I found it at a restaurant.

[quote]TunaMonkey wrote:
My favorite dish of all-time is the steak tartare at Red Square in Mandalay Bay in Vegas. I would be a little concerned eating raw ground beef obtained from the grocery store, although the tartare from the restaurant probably gets it from the same place. Can’t sue yourself, though, if you get violently ill.[/quote]

Especially Puerto Rican beef. They will eat stray dogs, so who the hell knows what kind of meat is in the “ground beef”.

It’s also great made from reindeer meat.

I wouldn’t buy pre-packed ground meat at a grocery store but 'round here you can pick out a piece of meat and ask’em to grind it up for you.

[quote]TunaMonkey wrote:
I would be a little concerned eating raw ground beef obtained from the grocery store, although the tartare from the restaurant probably gets it from the same place. Can’t sue yourself, though, if you get violently ill.[/quote]

If the ground beef you’re eating came from your fridge that you got from the grocery store, you’re asking for trouble. If you want to make steak tartare, do what good restaurants do, buy some strip steak and slice or chop it finely yourself. As far as suing the grocery store, good luck. It’s common knowledge that fools eating raw ground beef run the risk of getting the shits.

Personally, I prefer beef carpaccio.

other than this one particular girl i know steak tartare is probably my favorite dish.

listen to tool and DO NOT do this with a pre-cut steak from the store. do it with a larger cut you’re breaking down yourself and clean the outers for stew meat or stir fry whatever. there are no “germs” inside a piece of meat unless you’ve got a diseased animal which you don’t if it was inspected. also do not do this unless you have a clean kitchen. clean boards, clean knives, clean hands…KLEEEEEN.

i don’t get the egg yolk on top thing…the egg yolks are what make it all come together and should be mixed with the other stuff, starting with mustard and chopped anchovy and then ketchup, worcestershire & tobasco, and then some cognac and then chopped cornichons, onion, capers, & parsley. and the mix with your meat , shape it and eat. do not wait…this is FRESH.

i think tartare is best with a nice marbeled sirloin. tenderloin gives a great texture but is too lean and doesn’t seem to blend all those other flavors into the magic that makes a great tartare.

“l’express” in montreal makes an awesome tartare. so does that girl i know.

I felt nauseous when the OP said he made it with ground beef, thats sick dude (no to mention the risk of getting worms or something). Here’s what good steak tartar is made out of:

• ground tenderloin
  • 1 egg
  • onions
  • sea salt, ground pepper

Mix into a bowl, eat spread on a slice of rye bread. Make sure you keep it refrigerate it and only keep it for max 2 days.

Wow, I just made it from a New York Strip.

It was so much better.

This was the best thing I’ve eaten. I used ALOT of Lemon and alot of Vinegar.

Tabasco, salt, pepper, and an egg.

This was epically delicious, I want to eat this stuff like 2-3 a week, it is so goddamn good.

That’s funny that you mention Mandalay Bay! My favorite of all time is the kobe beef tartare that they make at StripSteak in Mandalay Bay (which might, BTW, be my favorite steak restaurant anywhere – which is saying a lot).

The waiter brings a dish on a cart next to your table and mixes all the seasonings into the kobe tartar right in front of you, then serves you. OutRAGEOUSLY good!! :slight_smile:

[quote]TunaMonkey wrote:
My favorite dish of all-time is the steak tartare at Red Square in Mandalay Bay in Vegas. I would be a little concerned eating raw ground beef obtained from the grocery store, although the tartare from the restaurant probably gets it from the same place. Can’t sue yourself, though, if you get violently ill.[/quote]

When I was a kid, my parents called these cannibal sandwiches.

One of my favorite dinners.

If you like steak tartare, you should try pork tartare or chicken tartare - way better flavoring and texture.

DB

Beef is yummy.