T Nation

Beef Aminos

I found a supplement called Beef Aminos yesterday at the supp store. Anyone know the deal on them? The price (10 dollhairs for 200 caps" makes them seem trashy.

The Anabolic Potential of Beef in a Convenient Tablet Form. Contains Beef Protein Isolate, Beef Albumin and Argentine Beef Liver. 1 Gram of Pure Beef Protein Per Tablet. Diversify Your Amino Acid Profile!

100% Beef Aminos is a blend of beef amino acids derived from high quality beef protein isolate, beef albumin concentrate and Argentine beef liver. Each tablet contains a full spectrum of highly concentrated amino acids, as well as many other necessary and essential nutrients. Each serving provides a diverse source of amino acids extracted solely from premium beef sources. When 100% Beef Aminos is taken prior to each meal, it increases daily amino intake. 100% Beef Aminos harnesses the anabolic potential of beef, and in turn provides ideal support for adding muscle mass to the body. 100% Beef Aminos is a great way to tap into all the advantages of beef, without suffering from any of the disadvantages, such as the high fat content.*

Looks like a Universal Amino product. Like Liver Tabs. So I’ve venture to say it’s pretty useless.

really good stuff. srs.

best taken by chewing them at start of meal

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
really good stuff. srs.

best taken by chewing them at start of meal[/quote]

Thought you were joking…but just bit into one.

Fucking bacon flavored…

[quote]corstijeir wrote:
Looks like a Universal Amino product. Like Liver Tabs. So I’ve venture to say it’s pretty useless.[/quote]

Damn

Ive been tricked out of 10 dollas…

The thing with beef aminos is you have to take like 30 to equal anything worth while. Something around that number anyway.

[quote]Mike T. wrote:
The thing with beef aminos is you have to take like 30 to equal anything worth while. Something around that number anyway.[/quote]

I just take about 5 with a meal before big workouts and notice a significant improvement in work capacity and also a marginal boost to strength and pump

just take liver tablets.

Well. They worked really well for me, especially as far as gaining mass. My recovery is a lot faster and my muscles are fuller.

So far as I know, the only commercially available beef protein isolate is beef collagen hydrolysate, also known as gelatin. There appear to be no protein isolates made from the meat of beef.

MuscleMeds ?

Mat’

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
So far as I know, the only commercially available beef protein isolate is beef collagen hydrolysate, also known as gelatin. There appear to be no protein isolates made from the meat of beef.
[/quote]

Ture nutrition has beef protein isolate for about 11$ per pound… I just ordered some bcaas from them, now I wish I would have tried the beef too.

Ordinarily, “boiling down” (as described for this product) is associated with the making of gelatin. They do in the write-up of this product use the word “flesh,” but flesh includes all soft tissue.

Lacking an amino acid profile, one cannot say for sure… I can say only that I don’t know of a commercial (bulk materials, selling on a scale suitable to supplement companies) supplier that any supplement company could be buying from that produces beef protein isolate from meat. That doesn’t prove there can’t be one: if anyone knows of or can find such a commercial supplier, that would be good information.

There’s nothing wrong with having some collagen hydrolysate as a very small fraction of the total protein intake, but in and of itself, it’s not of high biological value.

I think I read it gelatin has a poor amino acid profile. It’s dense (as in grams of protein/mL) and doesn’t have a strong taste so it does have positives. Too bad you can’t just add leucine rich protein isolates to gelatin based protein.

Later I will look into exactly what the deficiencies are and will post it, as it’s an interesting question.

Certainly one can take both leucine rich protein isolates in the same day as well as gelatin, and quite possibly then the gelatin will be of some added benefit compared to adding no further protein at all or perhaps nearly as good as adding whey, at least if the gelatin amount is moderate.

Measurement of BV (“biological value”) doesn’t correspond directly to value for muscle growth: it’s a value derived from the feed efficiency of the protein in growing young animals. Such growth also of course includes skin, cartilage, and all the organs. It’s been found that incorporating a small amount of gelatin into the diet improves the BV of other proteins, in this context. It doesn’t necessarily mean improving results for bodybuilders. But that said, as personal opinion 5-10 g of gelatin per day is likely useful, presumably for the hydroxyproline content, even if not for improved muscle growth.

Thanks for the information. I don’t mean to derail the thread, but I have a question for you Bill Roberts while I have you here.

Speaking of feed additives I have been researching commercial feed additives. It seems like the most common feed additives are amino acids and anti-parasitic agents. However, I learned that organo-arsenic compounds are commonly used to increase carcass weight, and have a long history of use. I cannot find a MOA for organo-arsenic compounds and am hoping you may have insight. What I find especially confusing is that it seems the arsenic is the important part - the structure of the ligand attached to the arsenic is irrelevant.

You mentioned that small amounts of gelatin protein could be beneficial, possibly because of hydroxyproline content. Are there any other chemicals: vitamins or drugs, which are commonly used in veterinary medicine and farming, but are not commonly used by humans?

Other than of course the veterinary steroids, probably the most common veterinary steroid used in bb’ing is clenbuterol, but you really weren’t asking about common!

PGF2a has been used by some out of hopes for local growth and for fat loss, but it’s stayed pretty rare and perhaps for good reason. Certainly, any substantial amount entering systemic circulation won’t be a good experience.

Kynoselen is well known but uncommon, probably for good reason. Actually it’s composed almost entirely of supplements, with only one drug compound, heptanimol, which probably isn’t of value for bb’ing.

Thymosin beta 4, also called TB-500, is perhaps the most interesting little-known veterinary drug with application to bodybuilding, or at least is the most interesting to me. It may be of real value with regard to healing long term injuries where chronic inflammation is a problem. I don’t have sufficient basis to endorse using it, but I’ve seriously considered trying it myself, and may very well do so.

On gelatin, the amino acid profile compared to that of for example whole milk is:

Gelatin       Whole Milk

Alanine: 8.9% / 3.3%
Arginine: 7.8% / 3.6%
Aspartic acid: 6.0% / 7.2%
Glutamic acid: 10.0% / 19.9%
Glycine: 21.4% / 2.2%
Histidine: 0.8% / 2.5%
Hydroxylysine: 1.0% / 0.0%
Hydroxyproline: 11.9% / 0.0%
Isoleucine: 1.5% / 5.8%
Leucine: 3.3% / 9.4%
Lysine: 3.5% / 7.6%
Methionine: 0.7% / 2.4%
Phenylalanine: 2.4% / 4.6%
Proline: 12.4% / 9.2%
Serine: 3.6% / 5.2%
Threonine: 2.1% / 4.3%
Tyrosine: 0.5% / 4.6%
Valine: 2.2% / 6.4%

One way of looking at it is that gelatin is a great source of the otherwise hard-to-get hydroxyproline, and provides the same protein-sourced calories per gram as other protein, but as building blocks for the body, in a lot of cases has is quite low relative to milk or meat protein in very many amino acids, such as having half or even only a third as much as present in such proteins.

So, it makes sense that as is in fact the case, 5 or 10 grams a day of it is fine, but making it the base of one’s protein intake just isn’t the way to go. It’s entirely different than the OP’s question, but on the the related question the answer would be no as to whether it’s good to buy big jugs of “beef protein isolate” and consume a major part of the day’s protein intake from this. Gelatin just isn’t of great nutritional value in high quantity.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Thymosin beta 4, also called TB-500, is perhaps the most interesting little-known veterinary drug with application to bodybuilding, or at least is the most interesting to me. It may be of real value with regard to healing long term injuries where chronic inflammation is a problem. I don’t have sufficient basis to endorse using it, but I’ve seriously considered trying it myself, and may very well do so.

[/quote]

If you do happen to try it, can you please start a thread on your experience?