Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

Thanks, Mort! I’m trying to have fun at the gym and I’m definitely pulled to the basketball court, even though it hurts.

1 Like

In case anyone was curious, this is what’s going on in my hip. Doc said it’s 50/50 as to whether or not it’s causing my pain.

Heterotopic Ossification (HO) is the abnormal growth of bone in the non-skeletal tissues including muscle, tendons, or other soft tissue. When HO develops, new bone grows at 3 times the normal rate resulting in jagged, painful joints.

2 Likes

Does not sound good. What other treatment options do you have?

That was in reference to how you talked about your local agency. I grew up in a small town and we had the same opinion of our cops. It wasn’t that they were bad; it just seemed like they enjoyed harassing the high school kids and writing speeding tickets.

Now that I’ve been a cop for a bit (8+ years), I think I understand it better. Small towns don’t have much going on so there’s not much to do besides enforce traffic laws. They also have local government members who like to use the police to do their bidding. If they think people are speeding through their neighborhood then you can bet officers will be told to go write tickets there.

Drug problems…

Man, drugs are everywhere. The 4th Amendment makes our job very difficult. We have small time dealers everywhere. We’ll work their house by stopping every car that leaves hoping to catch someone with their newly purchased meth. Hopefully a felony possession charge will scare them into working with us. If they do a couple of controlled buys then we can use that to get a search warrant. We can also dig through the trash after they put it out at the curb and try to justify a warrant that way.

If we get a warrant then that’s usually the end of the line. The dealer isn’t typically willing to give us his supplier.

Heroine is a different beast. Heroine addicts are physically ill without the drug so they’re out early in the morning. They typically inject their stuff before they leave their dealer’s house or as soon as they get to the car (before putting it in gear). It’s tough to catch them with their drugs because they use it so fast.

Surgery if it’s a problem. My HO is in the front of my hip so my femur or pelvis is hitting it when I go into hip flexion. Doc wants to try the injection to see if it helps. He doesn’t want to go back in there without trying everything.

I just hope it’s the cause of all my inflammation and tight muscles. Everything on my left side feels like a guitar string and I can’t find any relief.

1 Like

One of my best friends from HS is a US Marshal and works with their recruiting office. He’s been trying to recruit me for like a year now.

1 Like

Lucky! The Marshalls don’t hire often. I think any job in law enforcement where you don’t go to 911 calls would be great…but I answer 911 calls.

Dude I hope the hip thing works out. Sounds terrible.

The good news is that my labrum is still good!

I’d like to think that surgery to remove the bone would come with a shorter recovery than the last one.

3 Likes

Sounds like a scope procedure rather than an open exploration. It it could be removed with scope some of the athletes are back in 3-4 weeks.

1 Like

My labral repair was done with the scope so I’m sure this would be the same. I’m not worried about it.

I’ve changed the way I do things in the weight room but my shoulder (biceps tendon) is still preventing me from doing a lot of things. It’s frustrating and if it doesn’t get better by April I’ll probably schedule the surgery. If my hip needs some work then I’ll schedule that too. I’m already mentally preparing myself for at least one surgery. The biceps tendon surgery will put me in a sling for six weeks which will pretty much cover the summer.

The good news is that this injection will cost me my entire deductible so I’ll just be paying 20% for the surgeries! :smile:

(I told ya’ll I’m trying to be more positive this year)

3 Likes

I like my job, and I didn’t particularly like red tape and rank structures, so I doubt I’ll ever take him up on the offer.

I’m a cop, but I live overseas in Europe, Denmark.
I’ve been a cop for 30 years, and I love it, wouldn’t trade it for anything.
I’ve been on the streets in plain clothing forever and trying to catch drug dealers and gang members (same deal).
As one of my friends say, we live to make life a misery for the ones that makes a misery to others.
I’m really to old for this shit as Officer Murtaugh says, but as I said I love it.
Have been sitting behind a desk sometimes and I hate it.
However being a cop around here isn’t the same as in the states. We do have some respect around here and firearms are not used very often.
It’s illegal for anybody besides us cops to possess weapon of any kind actually.
I would love to work with you as an informant in my area :slight_smile:
It could be problematic to be a cop in your own town, especially if you’d have to bust your best friend or one of his friends at some point.
So as J said go on a ride along to see what’s going on.
It really is the best job, at least for me. I’m not earning that much but I don’t need that much to live. I don’t need a fancy house or a fancy car.

3 Likes

Mate you and me both. I am dreaming about pizza I am craving it so hard.

1 Like

Woke at 228.2 lbs and I called it based on how I looked in the mirror. I ate some veggies last night and, as usual, I had horrible gas and bloating. My body hates vegetables.

I’m ready to see 226._ on the scale but it might be another week or so. I actually write down my Monday morning weights in my training book and I dropped three pounds from last week to this week. My Monday morning weight was my lowest and was probably just a dehydrated weigh-in rather than a sustainable weight. Hopefully I can hold myself together and I’ll see 226’s next week.

I think I’ve mentioned that I took our promotional exam for the rank of Detective. I really don’t want to be a Detective yet so I didn’t study as hard as I would have otherwise. I had the 11th highest written test score and I thought I did terrible. I think over 70 people took the exam.

The interviews were last week and I didn’t do great. I got about 75% of the possible points. I was 34th before the interviews and I’m 27th now. I have no shot of getting promoted this year but I’m happy that I moved up the list after the interviews. I should keep getting better each time I go through the process. There were some things for which I wasn’t prepared but that won’t happen again. There’s still one or two officer positions that I’d like to get but if I have to promote to get off the streets then so be it. They do the process once a year so I have the rest of 2019 to get one of my other desired positions.

My top choice is Community Policing and I’m currently 7th on that list. It’s good for six months. There are three unofficial openings now so I’m actually sitting at 4th, but I’m not sure if there will be any more openings before the list expires in July. People only leave the unit when they promote. I’m not sure how the current CP guys/gals did on the promotional process. Two of them were sitting at 1 and 2 on the previous list but they won’t use that one again. The list doesn’t show names but I know the guy on the top is not in CP so those two people are in a worse position now.

Our FOP (union) contract states that they Department has to do interviews and make a new list every six months for specialty units for the rank of Officer. They do the test and interview once per year for Detective. You don’t have to be at the top of the list after the process to get a spot or get promoted. You just have to get lucky and hope there’s a lot of movement so you get selected before the list expires.

This could be a very good choice, When I’ve had enough of what I’m doing, you’ll find me fill in applications when and if there comes an opening for one.
Peeps seem to hold on to it forever :slight_smile:

Our CP team works Mon-Thur or Tues-Fri and they get take-home cars. They have flexible hours so they can attend neighborhood association meetings and community events but they also get to use that to their advantage to attend family functions.

That’s the problem with the unit though. The perks are so great that guys with a lot of seniority put in for it (and get it due to their seniority points) even though they don’t really care about the job. It’s a place to go to be really lazy and it seems that no one cares enough to kick them out of the unit (too much effort and paperwork). I wish I could get that position with my current days off of Mon, Tues, Wed. I wouldn’t get beat out by someone who just wants the good days off.

This is the same around here. Fortunately or maybe unfortunately we’ve just rearranged the department, and they actually kicked some of the old lazy ones and there’s a new bread of youngsters doing a great job… But I am not ready yet. I’ve still got some great fun chasing bad guys… Yeah all the young guns at our little squad calls me old man. I love it.
Read up on Manchester community Policing, they’ve come a long way.
If you need a senior officer to put in a word, tell them to call me :slight_smile: I hope you get a promotion or a place you’d like to be.

1 Like

It seems like a war of attrition. Thanks to the union, seniority is king. If I keep trying long enough then eventually I’ll win because I get more seniority points every year.

Our old scoring matrix is 100 points total and everything is scaled accordingly. The interview is 40 points or 40%. Seniority is 25%!!! It’s ridiculous. I have a little more than 3 points for seniority and guys with 20 years or more get 15 points (which is the current max). It’s damn near impossible to make up 10+ points on a 40 point interview. It’s frustrating.

They just redid the matrix so I don’t know how they’ll redistribute the points but I’ve heard seniority will be worth even more…:man_facepalming:

That is ridiculous J. Yes seniority should count, but not like that. The best man for the job, that’s our policy to a point… if two guys are equal, then the senior officer would get it… most times but not always… we’ve got a lot of ass licking as well. (do you call it that?).

2 Likes