T Nation

Becoming Jackie Moon! (JMaier31)

strength
performance
t-ransformation2018
bodybuilding
t-ransformation2019

Woke at 236.4 lbs. That’s what happens when I don’t track my food for two days.

@lava2007, my body seems to feed up with me and my training choices. I wouldn’t call myself one of those “I’ll keep going until I can’t go anymore” kind of people, but my body is definitely shutting me down in a hurry. I thought I was doing a decent job of avoiding things that hurt but I’ve learned that there are some things that just hurt later.

I’m taking my wife up on her challenge to do nothing with my lower body for a couple weeks. I’m getting another MRI with contrast this morning and my follow up is next Tuesday.

I think it’s been awhile since I’ve mentioned my rental house so here’s an update. I think I found a tenant. Actually, it might be a lot of tenants. A woman approached me about renting it so she can use it as a group home for girls ages 13-17. She is self employed and has a contract with the state to take on kids who are in state’s custody.

My wife has some of those girls as students and I see some of them in my line of work. It’s kind of a risk in terms of my property getting damaged but we want to do it. It might be a long term deal and it can be our way of providing something good for these girls.

Our foster system sucks. People take the kids just for the money and don’t use it on the kids. But people like my wife and I have worked hard for our home and don’t want to bring in so the chaos that can come with a foster kid. Basically I know there’s a problem but I’m not willing to step in to help. I just can’t bring that choas into my house with my kids. This group home might be a middle ground for us to have an impact on these kids.

I won’t be involved other than owning the house but we’re willing to help furnish the place and gather things like clothes and toiletries for the girls that come through there.

We’re hoping to provide a nice, safe place for these kids. The lady who will be in charge has the goal of teaching them how to value their home and take care of it. It’s simple but you wouldn’t believe how many people don’t do that. They tear their home up and live in filth.

Um. I may be talking out my ass here, but be very careful mixing charity and business (in my opinion). I let some hard on their luck addicts (they had kids) use some of my storage units while our church helped them find a new home.

It went about as well as you would expect. The agreement was 3 months free and I’d help them haul their stuff to wherever they moved to. They had the unit for 8 months, never paid for the 5 and took their stuff out late at night. Then I had to throw away truckloads of junk they left.

I prefer to make money in business like a hard nosed mercenary and then give to charities I believe in completely seperate.

Ask yourself this. You have a $125k note on the house right? You owe a mortgage payment every month. Are you and the wife willing to evict that lady and her group home for girls if she loses her government charter and can’t pay (or if she’s bad with money and doesn’t pay)? Can you treat her like a normal tenant, or would there be guilt there?

The kids have to be in state’s custody to be in a group home. If she lost her contract then the girls would be placed somewhere else.

The only charity we’ll be providing is with donations. And most of that won’t be our stuff or money. My wife already has a bunch of clothes stored at her school. People know her students don’t have the best life so they already donate.

There’s also a Christian organization that sells/donates furniture.

Rent is still the same price and due on the 1st. I’ll be running my tenant screening on the lady facilitating everything and base the approval on her history and finances. If I need to prove income beyond what she makes then I’ll consider her contract with the state.

If she’s getting money for these kids and doesn’t pay rent then that means the money isn’t going towards the kids. That’s a state or even federal level crime. They came in and shut down a lady last year and inducted her.

It’s as good of a tenant as any. I can’t afford to let the feels get in the way of the mortgage so I’d be fine serving an eviction.

I figure it can’t get worse than a tenant turning into a meth addict and ripping out all of the wiring and tearing down the walls to find the FBI bugs!

:laughing:

Okay. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Is the wife on board with that as well? Make sure.

Of course the wife is on board! I was skeptical but I try to be open minded so I took it to her. She jumped all over it and thinks we need to do this. She’s convinced me that this is the best thing we can do with the house.

Time will tell, but if this blows up in my face then at least we were trying to be helpful to the world.

I meant is she on board with evicting the nice saintly-seeming woman, if it comes to that. She might have a harder time evicting a do gooder than you would.

I think this is a good course J.
You and the missus are good people. Not stupid people.
When you interview her, you can judge her personality better than most, due to your line of duty.
Is there a possibility that the state can pay you, and get a line in the contract that the state pays for what is wrecked when they at some point leave.
But there’s always a risc, but I guess that goes for most peeps when you’re a landlord.

Training

Well, it appears I’m back to just doing upper body bro splits.

LIMBER 11 WARM UP

PULL UPS (goal: 5 x 5 w/ 30 sec rest)
5 neutral grip
3 neutral grip (shoulder popped) + 2 regular
3-1-1 regular

CABLE ROW (1.5 reps)
140 x 12
140 x 10 + 10 bottom half reps

SHIRLEY ROW
100 x 15
120 x 15
140 x 10

SA CABLE UPRIGHT ROW
40 x 15
40 x 12
20 x 15 1.5 reps

LATERAL CABLE CURL (SA)
50 x 10F/6T/6B
30 x 10F/10T/10B
Note to self: don’t do these again with the right arm. No pain during the set but it felt like my biceps tendon was out of the groove and stuck after that final set.

YTWL RAISES
5s x 10 ea
2.5’s x 10 ea

I hit the 48 minute mark after the YTWL Raises and called it a day. How much volume do I need? I’ll just be alternating between upper body push and upper body pull workouts for the next month or so.

My MRI is done. My brother works at the facility where I had it done and he might have a chance to bug a doc to look at it today. My follow up is next Tuesday. I don’t recall the last MRI hurting like this one (the arthrogram part). My hip and upper leg is numb and achy. Oh, well. The weather is crap today so I’m just going to chill in the recliner and watch season two of The Punisher while my son naps (not like I’d be doing anything on a nice day either lol).

I actually think it makes good business sense, her income is from the state and she has to provide a safe home or won’t get that income. That’s about as much of a guarantee as you can get. As long as she passes the screening then it sounds like it has longevity and is sound to me.

Woke at 234.6 lbs. That makes me happy because yesterday wasn’t a good day. I didn’t eat a lot but it was calorie dense and full of salt. I also had three beers.

Upper body push workout today. It’s strange not doing conditioning or leg work. I want to do leg extensions or leg curls or just walk to burn calories but I guess that wouldn’t fit the definition of complete rest.

@losthog, the Shirley Row is taking care of my lack of deadlift work. Thanks for sharing!

Upper Push Workout

LIMBER 11 WARM UP

MACHINE SHOULDER PRESS
65 x 10
80 x 10
80 x 10F/10T/10B
Good weight selection here. The bottom half reps were basically 10 failed reps where I pushed as high as I could and just hoped I hit the halfway point.

superset with

MACHINE CRUNCH
110 x 15
125 x 15
125 x 10F/10T/10B

MACHINE BENCH
130 x 10
130 x 10
130 x 10F/10T/10B
Again, great weight selection. The first two sets were actually solid working sets. I just really pushed the partials after hitting 10 full reps on round three.

superset with

SIDE CRUNCH (on the 45* back ext)
BW x 15 ea x 2 sets

INCLINE BENCH (1.5 reps)
95 x 10 x 2 sets
Time to increase the weight. The goal last week was 3 x 10 and I hit it. I decided to stick with 95 lbs this week since I’d already done some burnout sets of OHP and machine bench.

INCLINE REV DB FLY
12.5’s x 12 x 3 sets

CABLE KICKBACK
40 ea x 10 x 2 sets
40 ea x 20 w/ a couple pauses

superset with

HANGING KNEE RAISE
2 x 15

Great session. Took about 40 minutes and then I helped staff move the new dual half rack and platforms a bit. I told them everything was too close together after the first day that I saw the new stuff. People were squatting and deadlifting and the bars were so close together that you couldn’t get to the weights on the half rack. It was dangerous. I saw one of the trainers unload the rack and pull the wooden platforms out so I knew they were finally fixing it. I felt compelled to help out since I was one of the people griping about it.

A lot of people complain about things in life. I’m one of them. However, I also try to offer up a solution or help complete the work to fix the problem. I think if you’re going to be part of the solution then it kind of gives you the right to gripe about the problem.

Moving the platforms and putting the plates back on the half rack was probably the hardest part of my workout. We put eight 55 lb plates on each side. Those Rogue competition plates are actually tough to grab so I was just squeezing two at a time. It wasn’t terribly hard but it did cause my biceps tendon to pop out of the groove just about every time. Oh, well.

Brians program is proving to be pretty effective but that workout looks way more attractive than anything I’ve been doing lately haha.

I guess now that I “can’t” run or train legs I can enjoy these bro workouts guilt free. I like these sessions but my brain thinks I should be doing more.

I need to run. I need to do this or that. You know how it is in the training world.

I want to play basketball. Hell, just this morning I was thinking that shooting baskets would be a great warm up for lifting. Well, that’s out.

I’m trying to avoid negativity (or at least writing it down and sharing it) but I’m a pessimistic realist. And I typically expect the worst and it results in one of two things:

1. I’m right (and who doesn’t enjoy being right?)
  2. I’m wrong and pleasantly surprised
    :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry for the tangent, but the point I’m trying to make is that I don’t think I’ll play basketball again until 2020. The same goes for squats and deadlifts. Even if I have surgery, I’m wondering why I should push it. Apparently I did something too soon after the first surgery which is why I’m here, again.

So, for the rest of 2019, I’ll probably be best served by these bro style sessions. When I start conditioning work again then I’ll use the elliptical and bike. My lowest resting HR of 2018 was during my recovery when I was doing a lot of elliptical work. It apparently works well for health.

And, here we are again on another detour in the mind of JMaier. :smile:

Sorry, bud. Guess you caught me at a time when my wheels are turning.

Hey man it’s your log, let the stream of consciousness flow haha.

:ok_hand:

I’m still a few (possibly several) years younger than you and I’m already looking forward to dialing back a bit. It has been a fun run being the “big” (relatively) guy out of my friends, and being stronger than the average gym rat, but I’m ready to start thinking about training for health and longevity (I guess this should have gone in the Flame Free thread…). I’m not saying I’ll be using the pink dumbbells or anything, but my training will be a bit more like your training with some sports you enjoy, or @kleinhound with his running and other random shit he gets into, or @mr.v3lv3t and his rock climbing, etcetcetc.

I think it will be tough for me to accept getting smaller and weaker, but I’m going to have to look at it from the point of view that I’m getting better at running, or learning some new skills like handstands or some of the olympic lifts. Or hell, maybe just accept the fact that I’m not 20 years old, and I’m over the fucking hill! I’m not going to lie, I can see a lot of my training being heavily influenced by Crossfit after I reach a powerlifting goal or two. Currently a 700lb deadlift is at the top of my priorities.

There, I met your tangent with one of my own!

It’s funny you mention being the big guy in the group. When I play basketball I’m usually the strongest guy on the court. People foul me and I can still finish the shot and score. I can jump higher than most and I’m quick off the floor.

The funny thing is that I don’t notice these things until someone says something about it. I still think I need to get stronger. I could jump higher (I miss my vertical from when I was 22). I could be bigger.

When you mentioned doing more athletic things and backing off on the strength pursuits it kind of made me realize that I have everything I need to do what I enjoy doing which is playing basketball.

Losing weight increases my vertical. Increasing my strength isn’t going to make me better. If I’m already strong enough to go through people then do I need to be stronger?

I’m also pretty good at rec league softball. I have the power to go deep (just need to figure out the swing for consistency). I’m good in the field - I have a good glove and better speed than most adults. And I can drink a lot of Coors Light.

So that brings up the question - why do I continue to pursue things in the weight room? I’ve said that I want to look like The Rock but I don’t think his physique is ideal for the things I enjoy.

I don’t know what’s wrong with my brain. I think I just need to play more sports and spend less time in the weight room.

It definitely won’t hurt my hip to lose some weight.

And then I see people like Zion Williamson who are taller and heavier and can jump higher than me. They defy physics.

Thank you, sleeper, for the tangent. It’s very welcome here and seeing a beast like you talking about training for more athleticism helps my perspective.

I’ll never be able to run like @kleinhound though.

You’re too kind, but I’m not that good at running lol.
“I can drink a lot of Coors light”
My man :sunglasses:

I think this is worth repeating.

I’ll cheers to that! :beers:

Cheers J
Playing sports and being athletic is good stuff and something to chase.
The hard part could be going to the weight room and not chase number.