Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

I’m just finishing my first week of nothing. I’ve done some band work for rehab of the shoulder and some bar work for it. BW Squats, a few goblets, and a whole lot of nothing. I’m feeling very good. I’m struggling to stay out of the gym again… not forced, but I want to be there.

Time off is good.

2 Likes

When you get used to not go to the gym, it’s going to be a hard time to come back

Why dont you just reset all your weights down, way down.

So fly through your lifting session (since your weight is so low), focus on good quality movement (form of rehab), get some conditioning through this since you’re not resting, and then transition directly into your rehab. You can get all this done in 30-45 mins per session.

You have to do something drastically different than what youve been doing over the past 6 months. It’s clearly not working, pushing you further into injury debt, and wasting precious time.

Your posts in your log have turned quite negative.

Commit time to getting better. Reset the weights back down to nothing. This will fuel your mind and body. Pick pain free movements. Rehab RIGHT.

You can come back. But not how your approaching it currently.

5 Likes

Mort, I respectfully disagree if I’m reading your post correctly. J cant stay out of the gym. It’ll be far harder for him to commit to rehab and time off progression, than going back to the gym after time off.

He’s an addict. Like many of us. It is actually worse for him to go to the gym at this point than to not go, in my opinion. Simply bc he’s choosing the wrong path.

1 Like

My reply was to J’s post about

And the Hog’s response

Saying that if you don’t go to the gym for quite some time, you’ll get used to that, and returning would be hard, because the body and mind is getting used to not train.

When I stopped bike racing, at first it was nice, then came a period were I missed it, but that was not that long. On and off I miss my bikerides with the bunch, then I dust of the old frame, and within an hour or 1 ½ I find myself so miserable and not enjoying it at all. Then the frame is thrown back in the dark.

So if my post suggested that he should stop training, it wasn’t the intent :slight_smile:

One thing is for sure. You have to stop running and playing basketball. I can’t think of anything worse for your hip than all the high-impact damage you’re doing to your joints. No sports, no snatch grip high pulls, no deadlifts.

Ice 3x a day, stretching, mobility exercises, foam rolling, and strictly bodyweight work with a caloric deficit for 2 months and a cycle of NSAIDs for 10 days to start. Ibuprofen or Naproxen Sodium. Is that something you can try to commit to? We can brainstorm and make a serious plan to try to get you back to where you were, physically and mentally.

Even if none of this sounds like what you want to do, stop playing basketball and stop running.

2 Likes

I understand what you’re saying. I just dont think that’s something he needs to worry about. What he needs to worry about is continuing to sustain more injuries, and ones that will require replacement potentially, if he keeps on. It would be better for him to quit in my opinion, than force a major replacement. But that’s just my opinion.

2 Likes

And I didn’t mean that he should keep training the way he does. I’ve been one of the first to say to ease back to let the issues heal up.
I’m all in for rehab stuff and I don’t believe that one should push through injuries.
J did it when he came back from surgery and I was to say the least very surprised that he returned as strong as he did.
BUT I think you misunderstand what I say, maybe because english isn’t my native language, and that I can’t express myself as clear as I can in my own language.
I’m sorry for the misunderstanding.

1 Like

@mortdk I never took it that way man.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more the high impact of basketball and running is death to older joints.

Serious rehab takes a focus and heavy pullback on the type of work done. It sucks. But it is best for long term plans.

2 Likes

No worries man, everyone’s just trying to help! I think we all see the clear issue.

You’re correct in my case…

…but this is also correct. In the past when I’ve had to completely shut it down I struggle to come back. I sit around and start to fee like crap. I don’t want to get going again because I feel like crap. It’s a vicious circle that I have to break and it takes a couple of weeks of forcing things.

This is correct and a large part of why my above statement seems to happen. I was actually depressed during those phases of my life. It was rough.

This is the toughest pill to swallow right now. I’ve kind of accepted my weight lifting limitations. I’m really enjoying basketball right now. It’s the highlight of my week. And I’m just now starting to get into decent shape again so it’ll be tough to let go. I know it’s awful for my hip though.

I ran a seven day protocol of 400mg twice per day after I hurt my shoulder. My shoulder got better but it didn’t affect my hip. The steroid injection didn’t help either.

This will be tough but I’ve actually found myself leaning that way this past week. The simple sessions of Cindy left me sore and doubled as conditioning. I don’t know about high pulls though…that’s a bit extreme :wink: Can I do lateral raises?

To be honest I don’t even know what to do right now. I was hoping my chiropractor could guide me but I had to cancel my appointment on Tuesday. I have another Monday. What do I strengthen and how do I know when I’m strong enough? I still haven’t identified a problem in my hip. I never did. The diagnosis was a torn hip labrum but no one ever explained why my muscles were so tight. The best theory or guess was that my body was guarding itself.

The closest thing I got to an answer about the cause of my injury was that some people are built in a way that causes hip impingement. Some have problems early in life and some have it later in life. It just depends on what they do and how bad it is. I wouldn’t call that an answer. It was like a way of saying it was inevitable for me because of my bone structure. I asked what I could do going forward and all I got was to not squat below 90 degrees and to avoid high impact loading. Well, that last one is obviously a shot at basketball but I started experiencing symptoms before my return to basketball so I can’t blame that.

I appreciate everyone’s input. I know ya’ll are trying to help me right the ship before it sinks.

4 Likes

Hell yeah, any non-overhead shoulder work is probably awesome, and it was more the hip drive that you’d use to bring the bar up in SGHP, combined with the force of catching the bar at hip height.

High rep lat delt work for the win dude. Grab a band and hold 2 15lb DBs while also holding a band handle in each hand and stepping on the band. Do 15 reps. Drop the band, pick the DBs back up and do 15 reps. Drop the DBs, pick up just the band, do 15 reps.

3 Likes

Dude you are not taking any time off!

You are entering a full time 6-7 day a week rehab protocol for the shoulder and hip. Balancing mobility and the smaller stabilizer structures while flooding g the area with blood flow.

You are gonna be much better on the other side of this. But don’t for a minute ever think you are taking time off. You are shifting training focus from growth and numbers to mobility and rehab practicing discipline in training and teaching your body movement is good and doesn’t have to create pain.

Give yourself at least 6 weeks. Then reevaluate. Walk find some BW work that will heal and strengthen you. Lift some light stuff occasionally that causes zero pain light to rehab is the key.

4 Likes

This is a REALLY good post, and the exact mindset you need right now J.

As far as a specific rehab protocol, I’m sure we can help. First, commit to taking time off loading all exercises. You need some healing.

If inflammation is an issue, 2x400mg IB is not enough. My protocols in the past have been 4x400mg. 1600mg/day.

Start walking. A few miles per day would be good, if you can make the time.

I feel pretty confident that strengthening is the answer vs stretching/mobility, but the right amount of both is the answer.

For the shoulders, begin with 2 x 2 min active hangs. Then perform the super D protocol 2x. Then 3X10 YTWLs.

For the hips, begin with rolling the hip flexors, quads, glute med/max. I like a lacrosse ball for the glutes in fig 4. Next, hit side planks with the top leg abducting, for say 3x10. https://youtu.be/A8VmXRbB8iw
Then work some hollow holds to help with strengthening lower core and reinforce pelvic positioning, 2 x max. You may want to watch a vid and start with a regression. It’s a hard move done correctly. Then work on strengthening your hip flexors, this is a good one: https://youtu.be/7PmC1KG0hc8

You can also play around with Copenhagen side planks. Start with a simple isometric hold. Then you can move into progressions.

I wouldn’t stretch much.

Hope this helps. @FlatsFarmer can add some thoughts I’m sure.

2 Likes

I have one of these. I guess it’s time to use it for more than rollouts.

@FlatsFarmer for the win.

1 Like

Woke at 240.2 lbs.

I slept horribly last night. I couldn’t fall asleep. I think it’s because of the drainage again. I might go to the doctor today but last time was a waste of a trip because they said it was probably viral and I just got to ride it out for 2+ weeks. That was a whole 2-3 weeks ago so I’m in a bad stretch here.

I did some foam rolling last night and worked on my feet and lower legs a bit. My feet are in bad shape. I don’t know how they got so tight. It could be because I stopped wearing orthotics full time. I had a decent pair but they were in a pair of shoes that were stolen off my back porch. The company that sells them claims they’re “custom fit” but it’s like buying the Dr Scholls stuff at Wal Mart. They have a bunch of pre-made stuff and you just try different ones until one fits your foot. They charge $450 for one set. I’m not paying that again. I can get some custom molded ones from the prosthetic store starting at $140.

One of the reasons I’ve been so beat up and negative lately is that things are all coming to a head. This dumb rental house that we’ve been fixing up has been a nightmare. It’s finally finished but we’re out of money and people need to be paid. We went from financial security to being fucking broke because of this. The smallest unexpected cost stresses me out now. I can’t even think about buying orthotics because things are that tight. I feel the weight of the world on me every day and it’s just wearing me out.

If I just owed money to banks or businesses then I wouldn’t worry, but I owe money to people who have performed the work. They have families and Christmas gifts to buy too. I can’t let them down because I failed with my money. I’m refinancing my other rental house but the bank is moving slow. Once the equity comes I should at least be able to pay off the contractors. I’m just running out of time. I was told like three weeks ago that we should close the first week of December (last week). I was told two Wednesdays ago that I’d have a closing date the next day (Thursday Nov 29th) and I still don’t have it.

It just seems that no one can tell me the truth when estimating costs. My current contractor is a great guy but three to four weeks ago he told me he thought he’d only be another $3000. We’ll I’ve paid him $4200 since then and I still owe close to another $3000. I can’t catch a break.

4 Likes

If the contractor can’t give an accounting for every penny of overage cost then I would be skeptical of him. I ran a contracting business before I taught and I saw people get ripped off all the time.

They usually called me when the other guys screwed up a job and over ran cost to have an honest guy come finish.

3 Likes

Change orders are the devil. Hope you’re not just taking his word for it. It’s a slippery slope, especially if you are not involved in the intimate details.