Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

How does your shoulder respond to push-ups?

They hurt a little but not much. I had good luck with cable fly’s last week. I don’t know what happened today.

1 Like

No weigh-in because I knew it’d be bad. I felt hung over when I woke up and it was just from a short night of sleep and too much salt.

Fight Night
So my first fight night was a blast. My buddy won his fight in a unanimous decision after six rounds but he got knocked on his ass in the first round by a hook. The guy he fought didn’t throw as many punches, but when he threw one he was trying to end the fight. My buddy (Manny) stuck with it and just kept working him over and hit him with multiple combinations where he was just knocking his head back and forth. The opponent was kind of dirty. He hit Manny in the groin twice in one round. He also spit out his mouthpiece every time Manny started landing those combos so they’d have to stop the fight to retrieve it. It happened every time so it wasn’t a fluke; he did it intentionally.

I got to see another hometown flyweight who won a bronze medal at the last summer Olympics. The guy weighed in at 112.5 lbs. Those dudes were tiny! It was fun to see the different sized fighters. Those little guys were fast and barely hit each other. The bigger guys definitely took more punches. One of the fights ended in a TKO. The losing fighter was from Mexico and he never put his damn hands up. He’d lean in with his head and just take punches to the skull until he saw an opening and then he’d bring the pain. He lost the fight but he put on a show. There were a couple of rounds where he’d take two or three solid punches to the dome and then return fire and land two to three big shots.

I left before the heavyweight fight because it was late and I had to work this morning, but I got to see a women’s fight. The winner has won gold at the last two Olympics and now holds multiple titles. It went the distance (10 rounds) and was a unanimous decision.

It was a fun night. My wife and I haven’t experienced anything like that before and it was a good change of pace. I also got to spend some time with my older brother which hasn’t happened much in recent years. My only regret is that I didn’t take off work today so that I could be in bed right now. But I’m off for the next five days so I’ll survive.

6 Likes

The fight night sounds like a blast. Are y’all going to go to more?

Since push-ups don’t hurt your shoulder more than a pinch, maybe supersetting them with cable flyes would be a good short-term combo.

1 Like

I’d definitely go again. I’m not sure when they will have another fight. Last night’s event took a lot of planning. There were 10 fights total. My buddy wants to keep fighting but I’m not sure when that’ll happen again.

I probably ought to do push ups more anyway. It’ll help me accumulate some ab work too.

1 Like

If i was manny I’d have just kept hitting him after he spat his mouthpiece. Surely that’s against the rules to keep spitting the mouthpiece?

1 Like

I don’t fully understand the rules because there are things that are illegal–like low blows–but nothing really happens. I think the guy lost a point or something but it still inflicts damage which can have an effect on the overall fight.

Manny didn’t stop; the ref would step in.

3 Likes

Daily Dose

SQUAT
135 x 5
185 x 2
225 x 1 x 5 sets

DEADLIFT
185 x 3
275 x 2 x 2 sets
345 x 1
375 x 1 x 5 sets

My hamstring is hurting worse today than it has since I strained it. It hurts to tie my shoes. The only effect it has on deads is that I can’t use the stretch reflex to start the pull. I have to get in position, get tight, and pull. My preferred method is to get in position, get tight, straighten the legs quickly, reset, and pull.

3 Likes

This looks brutal

1 Like

Really? It doesn’t look like much when I write it out.

My grip sucks though. It’s making the deadlifts harder than they need to be. I used mixed grip on reps 3 & 4 and it felt like the weight dropped by 30 lbs. I haven’t used a belt or straps for any sets of this yet.

1 Like

Glad to hear you went and had a good time. There’s a certain thrill in watching friends compete and win in combat sports that’s hard to beat (especially if they struggle early)!

2 Likes

Straps are nice when working deads after grip goes. Use them without fear.

1 Like

I normally do and I will on the heavier days. This program is supposed to help with grip and skill from the high frequency (as well as strength).

How did your squats feel?

They hurt and cause my hip to ache for hours afterwards. It hurts right now. I might have to rethink doing those if I’m going to avoid or at least put off another surgery.

1 Like

That’s an indicator of something to avoid…

This times 100.

2 Likes

I know. I have this paranoid fear that if I don’t do certain things then I’ll get weak and lose muscle or at the very least I’ll get imbalances. It’s what drives me to do a big quad movement, a hip movement, a single leg movement, a hamstring focused movement, and on and on. That’s why my workouts get longer and longer. I don’t want to miss anything.

I can’t really justify why I do this. I want to look muscular and balanced. I want to be strong. I want to perform well. I want to be healthy. And I like it when my workouts are less than an hour (which is why I like the big compound movements).

You’ll probably see me keep adjusting things in the coming weeks as I try to find something I can do consistently with my schedule. I might try to find a way to work conditioning into my lifting with complexes, circuits, or a WOD like workout.

For example Friday could be a circuit like this:

Clean Pulls
Push Ups
Walking Lunges
Pull Ups
OHP/Push Press (if it doesn’t hurt)
Run a lap (~270 m)

I just made that up but it doesn’t look too bad. I’d probably add some ab work and a shoulder isolation movement but I think that session could still be short and sweet.

I’m not going to add muscle mass. I guess that means I just need to use what I have enough to maintain it (which means I don’t have to stress about doing a certain number of exercises per muscle group). I want to improve my conditioning while cutting this flab. And I want to increase my deadlift.

Hmmm… I might be on to something here. Daily Dose of Deadlift + weightlifting oriented WOD + shoulder isolation.

I spend waaaayyy too much time planning/writing workouts. :laughing:

2 Likes

Woke at 240.6 lbs. As you can see above my wheels are turning this morning.

1 Like

It’s definitely fun. The few that I’ve written for myself didn’t pan out because I assumed that I would have perfect recovery throughout the whole thing…not the case! It’s cool to write workouts and programs, but what would be even cooler is if there was a personalized simulation, so that we didn’t have to spend 6-12 weeks on it just to find out that it doesn’t work like we hoped it would lol

1 Like

Do you have access to a leg extension thing and does it hurt.
Deadlift and cleans takes more than care about the posterior chain + a little quad as well.
Leg ext. would take care of quads.
At home you could do RFESS.

Your focus to be athletic, strong and lean is a very good goal to chase. When you get there, you might have sorted all the issues out so you could start chasing numbers again.

2 Likes