Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

Just fixed it I had g mail instead of hot

I just sent one. Thanks man

Lost Guy Training

RECUMBENT BIKE
30 min while watching Daredevil on Netflix

SQUAT
135 x 10 x 5 sets
First set was the stance I wish I could do. It hurt. Next four were narrow stance - like jumping width.

RFESS
135 x 5 x 3 sets

LYING LEG CURL
90 x 15 x 2 sets

HIP ABD/ADD MACHINE
130/150 x 10/10 x 2 sets

I thought about doing walking lunges to failure but decided against it. I’ll be sore from squats tomorrow. Stimulate, don’t annihilate the muscles.

I think I’ll write out a maintenance leg program. I could do a pyramid rep scheme and make sure to hit the same weight for a heavy single or double week after week. I’m not sure if squats can or should be a part of that program but I’m inclined to try them since they load the whole body.

1 Like

Not a bad idea. That way you’ll get some slight rep work in with whatever your lowest weight is, and you won’t lose much strength, if any.

Did you feel the narrow stance front squats in your quads? I know front squats are supposed to be quad dominant, but they don’t actually kill my quads unless my stance is shoulder width or closer :face_with_monocle:

Yes and it’s pretty high up my leg. I’d say it’s the top 1/3 of the muscle. I prefer the wider stance because I can get my hamstrings and glutes involved.

1 Like

Are the maxes you sent me your 1RM or training max?

Those are all training maxes. I can send you my real maxes if that’s easier

No, that’s fine. I just needed to know because I don’t put 1RMs in the spreadsheet. I think the program works best if you stay a little under those numbers.

1 Like

Woke at 245.0 lbs. Had pizza for dinner plus a couple big rice crispy treats…and a few pieces of my daughter’s Halloween candy.

This is not training related but my day has sucked. I’ll leave it at that.

4 Likes

I saw my old surgeon today and he thinks the caracoid process on my scapula pinched the bursa or other tissue. He suggested I take naproxen twice a day for seven days and wait a couple weeks before doing anything else. If the pain and popping continues then he’ll schedule an MRI.

I still suspect it might be the biceps tendon. Another doctor saw me first and then brought in the one who did my surgery. I think he’s newer or in training or something. He thought the biceps tendon might be subluxing. There’s tissue that holds it in place that can tear. I’m not sure what the treatment would be but the surgeon doesn’t think that’s the case.

He said the overhead motion that caused the major pop and subsequent pain is not a movement that would result in subluxing the biceps tendon. Either way, it’s the typical wait and see approach. I’m better now than I was two weeks ago. Hopefully I can do pulling movements again soon.

4 Likes

It might be annoying that the different doctors have different ideas, but it definitely gives you more options in case the first treatment doesn’t work.

In my completely unprofessional opinion, I do think that it’s possible that the overhead motion could have subluxated (is that a word?) your biceps tendon. The body is a weird thing. The first response to that would probably be “the biceps are not involved in overhead pressing motions, therefore the tendon could not have been subluxated,” to which I would say “it’s possible that the biceps in that arm could have been susceptible at that moment in time.” For whatever reason. Like I said, the body is weird, and just because something shouldn’t happen doesn’t mean that it can’t.

Edit: thank you for sending me the template. I’m going to look at it right now.

2 Likes

I’m not convinced that the biceps tendon isn’t the problem. My body is weird and the unusual injury is usually the one I have.

I’ve had intermittent biceps tendon problems over the years. You know how my physician’s assistant diagnosed it? She pressed on top of my shoulder and had me raise my arm. It popped and grinded. I think it’s possible that it got caught and then broke loose, causing some sort of damage in the process.

I don’t know what they do if that tissue tore. Guess I’ll Google it.

1 Like

Did she press too hard? If so, that’s pretty fucking irresponsible and unprofessional. If you’re a medical professional and a patient tells you they have pain or discomfort, you should treat them like they’re made of glass until you have a good idea of what the problem is.

No, no, no. I think it just allowed her to feel the symptoms of tendinitis. I loved that PA. She just left my doctor’s office for a better paying and more versatile job.

And look what I just found… This is exactly what I showed the new Doc. Exactly!

A specific diagnostic finding includes actual translation of the biceps tendon outside its sheath. This translation can be elicited by having the patient actively supinate their forearm (turn their palm up) while keeping his or her elbow at their side. The feeling of a clunk (the tendon slipping over the groove) is diagnostic. This finding is very uncommon due to the depth of the tendon within the groove.

And here’s the worst case scenario for treatment. Conservative treatment is rest, anti inflammatories, the usual. I don’t think my rotator cuff is torn though. I pass all of those tests. I’d bet that if it’s the tendon then I’m on the less severe side of things. You gotta love the internet and the freedom to research your ailments and jump to conclusions! :joy:

Surgical treatment should focus on concomitant issues such as rotator cuff or labral pathology. The most common surgical technique used to address subluxation is known as “tenodesis” in which the long head biceps tendon is stabilized within the groove. Tenodesis may involve either arthroscopic or open removal of a portion of the long head of the biceps tendon proximal to (above) the area of instability, and direct reattachment using drill holes, suture anchors, or sutures into the bone or soft tissue.

3 Likes

Woke at 240.2 lbs.

Managed to get in some sort of workout.

ELLIPTICAL
8 min (level 5 / incline 10) 0.70 miles.

ABS
Barbell Rollout 25s x 10
Full V Up x 10
Cable Twist 70 x 10 ea
Back Ext 45 x 15

OHP
95 x 12 x 3 sets
I started to do this as a warm up set but it turned out to be the perfect weight.

SA CABLE UPRIGHT ROW (a la Paul Carter’s recent article)
15 x 12 x 3 sets ea

INCLINE REV CABLE FLY
20 x 12
20 x 8
20 x 8 drop set
10 x 8

SA CABLE PRESS DOWN (NEUTRAL GRIP)
50 x 12 x 3 sets ea

Today was supposed to be conditioning and abs. I failed at both. I have a little life stress weighing on me at the moment and I wasn’t into this workout. My abs cramped again so one round of the circuit was enough. They cramped on Tuesday too. I wasn’t feeling and conditioning tonight.

4 Likes

Woke at 242.0 lbs.

I should be at the gym doing an upper body workout right now (it’s quiet at work), but I don’t really feel like it. I don’t feel like doing anything. This stupid self-induced life stress kind of has me in a “fuck it” mindset for the time being.

4 Likes

Hey man, when life hits you, deal with that.
You’ll be back in the gym soon.
So “Fuck it” Mr. Maier, I’m usually hitting the street and let it out on some poor soul :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Training

I’ve been really tired and really hungry most of the day. It occurred to me that I’m under stress so my body has been in the stress response (aka fight or flight) mode for quite a while. That can wear you out and increase hunger. The bad part is that you don’t need the food unless you’re actually doing something physical. I decided to force myself to go train to burn off some stress.

DB INCLINE
40 x 12
50 x 12
55 x 12
60 x 12
superset with
LAT PULL DOWN
100 x 12
140 x 12
150 x 12
170 x 12

Shoulder felt better on DB incline than it has in a long time. Weird.

CABLE ROW (still can’t do double arm, so left arm only)
70 x 12 x 3 sets
superset with
DECLINE CABLE FLY
50 x 12 x 3 sets
Doc said this would hurt; he was wrong.

Short and sweet but it got my blood flowing. I actually started to feel a bit nauseous by the end. Supersets always do that to me if I’m moving quickly.

3 Likes

Right there with you.

Thanks for reminding me to just pick one or two exercises I enjoy and do 'em for stress relief. That’s my plan - several days a week, do 1-3 exercises, keeping the total session very short, possibly alternating between upper body and lower body.

My challenge is I don’t have the equipment to do my favorite lifts (heavy deadlifts and pullups) and my shoulder won’t allow me to do heavy presses right now. I’m not going to let those little limitations stop me, though. They’re small situations I need to make adjustments for while staying focused on completing the mission. In this case, the mission is stress reduction, give myself something small to look forward to, and maintain or even build strength in the muscles, activities, and energy systems I’m able to train.

Thanks again for your encouragement in my log and candor in yours!

1 Like

That’s the zone I’ve learned I need to force myself to stay in right now.