Becoming Canis dirus - SvenG's Training Log

Do you ever take an actual day off?

What’s a day off?

Are you being serious?

I understand that it’s great for mental gains, but I find that I need at least a day off or shit hurts and my performance sucks

Then it absolutely does not matter what I do or do not do, @anna_5588.

8 Likes

Performance fluctuates daily regardless of rest days.

My performance improved when I stopped taking rest days.

There’s another name for rest. It’s called sleep.

Anything else is just being lazy

1 Like

I’m glad you found an approach that works for you

I will continue to be lazy then

Older trainees tend to need to do SOMETHING daily to keep everything in working order.

Younger trainees need down time to recover because they are spry enough to run themselves into the red otherwise.

It’s like how you treat an old diesel truck vs an Indy car.

3 Likes

A lot of the workouts @SvenG does is, by his own words, easy conditioning and daily work. If he worked a manual labour job he would be doing that type of activity daily and we wouldn’t question him having to take a day off work to rest.

Also if you look at anyone’s log who does not take a rest day you will notice they tend to repeat the same movements daily and are merely “greasing the groove” on some days and others they are pushing it harder.

3 Likes

Not sure which I like more: ChongLord’s training monster or Pwn’s old diesel truck; either way, I’m taking both as compliments, haha!

2 Likes

Indy cars are fun to look at, but I know what I want to see coming when I am stuck in the snow…

1 Like

Forever(-ish) BBB - c8w2d1

Sunday - 16 January 2022
Workout: Extra conditioning, 1140-1205 (25 minutes)

Jump rope tabata - 4x40/10 - 1 round

5 rounds of:
a) 10 air squats
b) 10 KB swings - 24 kg
c) 11 chin-ups/pull-ups (strict, various grips)
Time: 9:02

Jump rope tabata - 4x40/10 - 1 round

Short and sweet, and maybe a bit too easy, but it did the trick: got my HR up and kept me moving.

8 Likes

Forever(-ish) BBB - c8w2d2

Monday - 17 January 2022
Workout: Squat, 0925-1025 (60 minutes)

Warm-up
Jumps only (no throws)

Begin: 0941; End: 1020; Duration: 39 minutes
Squat - 100x5, 130x5, 160x5 | 190x5, 215x5, 245x5 | 145x50 (rep PR)
HLR - 20, 20, 20
Dip - 60 - 15, 15
OA row - L/R - 50 - 18, 12
Push-up - 30
BPA - red - 10 high + 10 mid + 10 low

Assistance totals:
Push - 60 reps
Pull - 60 reps
Single-leg/core - 60 reps

Indulged in a slow morning: MLK here, so we’re all off from school and work today. Also feeling this morning how I expected to feel yesterday morning—the fatigue is delayed or something. And besides, we got 6-8 inches of snow over night… Not sure what that has to do with it, really, but it was nice not to be rushing around in any case.

No way I was shoveling before the workout, so I skipped the throws (which I do in the non-snow-covered driveway) but did some extra jumps instead. Top set felt heavy, but I’m not surprised. I expected today to feel rough after Saturday morning, and that’s part of why I did the challenge last Saturday rather than next Saturday: 5s week weights today v. 1s week weights next Monday. Whatever, I got it up 5 times and then managed to do 145x50 in the follow-up supplemental set.

That set took about 5 minutes, from unracking it to stripping the bar and cleaning up the plates. I actually had the bar on my back for about 3 minutes. I had no real plan for that set, just knew I didn’t want fewer than 25 reps. Remember thinking something about getting 30 or 35 just as I unracked it. First 25 went up pretty fast, but I started taking a few deep breaths after each rep or two beyond that. Found myself at rep 37 and knew there was no turning back.

Pretty happy with the assistance today, especially considering how I felt coming in. HLRs felt strong, and the last set felt like heaven—my lower back was super-pumped after 50 squats, so toes-to-bar gave it a nice stretch.

Anyway, lots of shoveling in the near future, and then daily work this afternoon. I’m also supposed to do a weighted vest walk, which given the condition of the roads, will be a real trip today—wouldn’t be surprised if the 35-minute route takes me closer to an hour! Guess we’ll find out…

14 Likes

nice pr

1 Like

Seriously, I know you plan to do Super Squats, but I would be interested to see you tackle Mass Made Simple someday as well.

2 Likes

Keep crushing it brother. We’re all behind you

1 Like

Dude! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Had to look this one up. I like Dan John’s stuff, and I’d buy the actual book if I was going to run it, but I found this T-Nation article… Does that really say 225x20x15 and 225x25x20!?! As in, 300 and 500 reps, respectively?

I’m pretty sure that’s a typo, haha. The T-Nation version doesn’t look bad, but I recommend the book. I’ve never done it though.

2 Likes

I would second this.

Actually, I want to see anyone tackle it, but even better if it’s someone like @SvenG who would attack it.

2 Likes

I second this, although I ran a hybrid version. Strength portion 531, as in the article, then complexes and high rep squats from the book.

2 Likes