Becoming Canis dirus - SvenG's Training Log

7WP, TM Test - d5

Thursday - 04 August 2022
Workout: Deadlift & daily work, 0920-1055 (95 minutes)

Warm-up
Throws + jumps

Begin: 0947; End: 1042; Duration: 55 minutes
Deadlift - 155x5, 195x5, 235x5 | 270x5, 310x5, 350x5, 385x5 (rep PR)
Dip - 75 - 15, 10
Ab wheel - ramp (19) - 5, 5
HLR - 12, 8
Chin-up - BW - 15, 10
Push-up - 30
Deficit reverse lunge - L/R - 2x30 lbs - 15, 10
BPA - red - 10 high + 10 mid + 10 low

1-pump burpees + 28-kg KB swings - 2x(25 + 25), 25-second rest between

Assistance totals:
Push - 55 reps
Pull - 55 reps
Single-leg/core - 55 reps

Went in feeling crappy, came out feeling crappy, but left it all in the weight room this morning: I found a way to pull 385x5 for a new rep PR!

(Previous best was 385x1 as a joker during the Pervertor Anchor several cycles ago.)

Warm-up sets and assistance in 12 minutes, work sets and assistance in 31 minutes (!). Used straps for all of the work sets. Knew I had 385 for 5 once the first rep broke the floor. Which it almost didn’t, haha. But once I locked out that first one, I found my groove and I got 5 solid reps. Might’ve had 6 in me, but mission accomplished: I’ll be using 385 as my TM for Cycle 16.

The ab wheel wrecked me today: I only got 10 reps overall before the pain overtook me, and the extension on even those 10 wasn’t great. So rather than injure myself again, I switched to HLRs. Those were hard, too, but didn’t cause pain—not real pain like the ab wheel, anyway. Can’t let my body off the hook, so I’ll try those again tomorrow.

Felt kinda like I was sleep walking through the daily work at first, but then I cleaned it up and found some snap. Still not moving quickly, but moving deliberately, at least.

Decent morning overall. Now I get to spend the rest of the day eating… Recovering, I mean—I get to spend the rest of the day recovering!

18 Likes

congrats. nice work.

3 Likes

Well done, sir.

1 Like

Congrats!!!

1 Like

@throwawayfitness, @hillbillyk, @anna_5588 - Thanks, folks! That one felt really good, and I was happy with my form to boot.

2 Likes

I love me some big traps, but I just don’t feel like get a lot out of shrugs. When I saw CT’s recent article on trap training, I was intrigued by the Wendler row, so I picked up an angled landmine handle from Titan:

A quick test run with that empty barbell says they should do the trick.

7 Likes

I have the one from Rogue and it’s my favorite upper back movement.

1 Like

Getting real close to repping with 4 biscuits now. Quality

4 Likes

quote=“SvenG, post:3149, topic:254882”]
before I even get my deadlift that high.
[/quote]

Dude you could hit 4 plates easy, you’re just being a good boy and following the program!!

Edit: no idea how to quote between threads.

2 Likes

7WP, TM Test - d6

Friday - 05 August 2022
Workout: Bench & daily work, 0930-1040 (70 minutes)

Warm-up
Throws + jumps

Begin: 0947; End: 1030; Duration: 43 minutes
Bench - 110x5, 140x5, 165x5 | 195x5, 220x5, 250x5, 270x4
Seated DB press - 2x40 lbs - 16, 9
Ab wheel - ramp (19) - 5, 5
HLR - 12, 8
Pull-up - BW - 14, 11
Band pushdown - red - 30
Good morning - 135 - 15, 10
BFP - red - 30

1-pump burpees + 28-kg KB swings - 2x(25 + 25), 25-second rest between

Assistance totals:
Push - 55 reps
Pull - 55 reps
Single-leg/core - 55 reps

Bah! 270x4 gives a 85% TM of 265, which is down 5 lbs. from previous cycles. I’m going to go with it, because I’m:

But even so, it’s a bit frustrating.

Warm-up and assistance in 10 minutes, main work and assistances in (less than) 24 minutes—forgot to clock it again until a few minutes later. I probably had a 5th rep in me on that top set, but it would’ve been a real grinder: the 4th moved slowly enough that even if I got a 5th I wouldn’t haven’t counted it toward the TM computation.

Oh, and I have no idea how I hit 30 reps on that ab wheel earlier this week: today’s 10 reps were just absolutely awful again. It’s just DOMS, but man—the soreness is deep, deep, deep and it is WICKED. That said, everything was hard today, so…

99% sure I’ll be kicking off 5/3/1 for Hardgainers next week. Like Pervertor, it seems to combine a lot of elements from other templates, so that’ll be fun. Mostly, though, I’m ready to put on some more muscle over the next several cycles—maybe then I’ll be able to realize some actual strength gains before the year is out.

12 Likes

I am so jealous of your bench

Keep it up dude!!!

2 Likes

Excited to see how it goes if you do. That’s next on my list. Ideally, with a healed up tricep.

2 Likes

You’ve been through a lot of life stress.
Cut yourself some slack

1 Like

I sincerely appreciate the sentiment, @anna_5588, but…

what led you to that conclusion?

Oh, wait: perhaps you’re referring to the situation with my Dad several weeks ago?

Genuinely curious… I log for me, but it’s always interesting to learn how others perceive it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That and all those swim meets

The swim meets aren’t stress in a bad way, but I’d traveling, attending and planning for those take up time and energy

1 Like

Hah! Yes, you’re right—KIDS take up lots of time and energy.

But I just call all of that, “life,” not “life stress.”

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t want to be “that guy”, but as a parent, i’m sure he deals with stuff more stressful than this on a weekly basis, they just don’t make it in the log because they aren’t worth mentioning.

3 Likes

It’s funny though: because of them, we become SO much better.

Like, no doubt: I have far more demands placed on me now that I’m a dad. I’m also in, unquestionably, the best shape of my life. I’m also the most well read, balanced, capable, etc. Because I want my kid to think I’m a superhero.

Were they not there, I’d be nowhere close to this. They give SO much more than they take, and they have no idea.

4 Likes

I’ve also been looking at that one for a while now. Lack of access to a sled is the main reason I haven’t gone for it.

Excited to see you crush it, dude

1 Like

Would you be ok with a basic dragging sled vs a prowler/push sled?