Becoming an Elite Power Lifter

[quote]alocubano1110 wrote:
Don’t tell people what not to say, you retard. If he doesn’t like sumo’s that’s totally fine. You don’t see andy bolton using sumo for his world record. Sumo is fine if you want to use it… To me personally though it’s shortening the range of motion ridiculously and just an ego lift.

It’s just as bad as those fat fucks with a hyoooge arch and the 3 inch ROM on the bench press. If that gets you off fine. Just don’t act like a little bitch when people disagree with it.[/quote]

hahahahah… I love how you are calling me the idiot when we are in a thread about being an elite lifter… In powerlifting the goal is to lift the most weight. if you stay within the rules, then whatever moves the most weight. So in otherwords, instead of making fun of arching, you should be trying to learn to arch yourself. Instead of saying the sumo is an ego lift, you should try it and see if it moves more weight for you. People who make fun of arching or sumo or whatever are just too fuckign lazy and useless to learn themselves. Anyways, thanks for the good laugh. I can tell being elite will come very easy to a wise man like yourself hahahaha

I know i’m fucking hilarious.

It’s not about lifting the most weight no matter what. At least not for EVERYONE. That is YOUR goal. Some people want to lift CONVENTIONAL deadlifts because that’s how they want to achieve their elite goals.

Myself I’d love to compete and get over 400 on the bench in competition. BUT my goal is to do it with the slight arch I use in training. I’d get more pleasure from that. Because it’s what I desire. If I just do ‘whatever’ it takes I wont be satisfied. Not everyone is willing to use whatever form possible or gain whatever weight possible to reach their goals in powerlifting.

Don’t be so fucking close-minded.

Ed Coan pulled his 901 at 220 using a modified sumo stance. Yep, that was definitely cheating.

[quote]burt128 wrote:
Ed Coan pulled his 901 at 220 using a modified sumo stance. Yep, that was definitely cheating.[/quote]

He also used steroids. Yep, that is definitely cheating.

It’s not about lifting the most weight no matter what. At least not for EVERYONE. That is YOUR goal. Some people want to lift CONVENTIONAL deadlifts because that’s how they want to achieve their elite goals.

Myself I’d love to compete and get over 400 on the bench in competition. BUT my goal is to do it with the slight arch I use in training. I’d get more pleasure from that. Because it’s what I desire. If I just do ‘whatever’ it takes I wont be satisfied. Not everyone is willing to use whatever form possible or gain whatever weight possible to reach their goals in powerlifting.

Don’t be so fucking close-minded.[/quote]

In powerlifting it is about lifting the most weight within the constraints of the federation rules - i.e. tested, non tested, wraps no wraps (all this in terms of raw obviously).

You tell people to not be close-minded yet in saying you won’t arch and those that do are cheaters (plenty of good lifters without an arch - just using this as an example) or the OP saying that he won’t sumo - when in reality it may be a great assistance lift for his conventional deadlift is simply “close-minded”.

The OP claims he wants to be an elite lifter, yet he outright refuses to look at some of the tried and true methods of doing so. This is as inane as some 150 lb kid going to the bodybuilding forum saying he wants to be a pro level IFBB bodybuilder but only wants to “lean gain” and never lose his six pack. I think we’ve both seen that happen before and both know where that leads…to a lot of crushed dreams and excuses as to why they never accomplished them.

[quote]BigRedMachine87 wrote:

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]BigRedMachine87 wrote:
But I try not to set dead lines or anything.[/quote]

OP “I want a 1700 by 30.”

lol only messing with you.

Work your DL, I have found the upper back strength has helped both bench and squat.[/quote]
Lol, well that’s far enough away where I’m not really aware of it. My point was, I don’t want to set a lot of numbers, then get discouraged if I’m not there or get content if I surpass them. STAY HUNGRY.

Now that I have ran a couple of smolov, I will put more into my dead lift. I think it will really kick me into over drive. Such a good lift and now that I’ve got my squat pretty decent, I feel good about attacking the dead lift.[/quote]

If you want to “stay hungry” then go compete. Nothing will drive your determination to improve like actually stepping up on the platform.

5/3/1

Forget about bands and all that minor detail. At your age, height and weight your lifts are very novice. So a basic program, such as 5/3/1 will have you adding weight to your totals without the need for any fluff. Download a spreadsheet from the internet, plug in your max lifts and away you go.

Train hard, hit your rep PR’s each week, eat big and clean, sleep deep and long. You should add about 50% to all your lifts in 12 months, give or take.

It’s not rocket science.

Have fun.

Don’t be so fucking close-minded. [/quote]
Ok, but for people to write it off as STUPID without even giving it a fair shot is stupid. Some people want to lift SUMO deadlifts because that’s how they want to achieve their elite goals. So is squatting wide stance “unfair” too since it shortens the ROM? I’d suggest reading the closing line of your post.

[quote]burt128 wrote:
Ed Coan pulled his 901 at 220 using a modified sumo stance. Yep, that was definitely cheating.[/quote]

He also used steroids. Yep, that is definitely cheating.[/quote]

181 766 Ed Coan USA 1984 IPF
220 859 Ed Coan USA 1993 IPF

Both were drug tested.

[quote]frankjl wrote:

Oh, I thought you said earlier you wanted to be an elite-level powerlifter? After this post, it just seems like you like to work out.[/quote]

Uhh dude, maybe he wants to become elite at a certain weight class? You dont have to be a 300 pound fat shit to be an elite powerlifter…[/quote]

You are correct sir! There are no stipulations of a minimum level of body fat to be classified elite.

I was referring to his comments about sumo lifts and the break down of form that usually accompanies relatively heavy weights.

I pull conventional in meets. This past training cycle I’ve really focused on bringing up my sumo deadlift in training. In the gym this past week I pulled a 75lb conventional deadlift PR of 705, and I attribute a lot of that to the time I’ve spent building up my hips through movements like the sumo deadlift. Just because you don’t like movements for whatever reason, doesn’t mean that they can’t be of some benefit to you.

As far as the form breakdowns, many people told this person that he shouldn’t let his back round over and it seems to be working well for him:

[quote]pbclax1 wrote:

Ok, but for people to write it off as STUPID without even giving it a fair shot is stupid. Some people want to lift SUMO deadlifts because that’s how they want to achieve their elite goals. So is squatting wide stance “unfair” too since it shortens the ROM? I’d suggest reading the closing line of your post.[/quote]

I keep an open-mind, and my PREFERENCE and OPINION is to NOT use sumo deadlifts. Squatting wide stance is fine as long as you hit parallel. These are just my opinions. Like I said you if you want shorten the ROM as much as possible go for it. My opinion will always be that it’s cutting corners, at least that’s how I’d feel if I were to do that.

[quote]pbclax1 wrote:

Ok, but for people to write it off as STUPID without even giving it a fair shot is stupid. Some people want to lift SUMO deadlifts because that’s how they want to achieve their elite goals. So is squatting wide stance “unfair” too since it shortens the ROM? I’d suggest reading the closing line of your post.[/quote]

I keep an open-mind, and my PREFERENCE and OPINION is to NOT use sumo deadlifts. Squatting wide stance is fine as long as you hit parallel. These are just my opinions. Like I said you if you want shorten the ROM as much as possible go for it. My opinion will always be that it’s cutting corners, at least that’s how I’d feel if I were to do that.

[/quote]

Your logic is odd…you say you’re fine with wide stance squatting which is essentially shortening the ROM yet you are against arching and sumo because it shortens the ROM…

it’s a shame this thread has gone to shit and looks like getting worse.

There was the possibility that top guys like frankjl would post stuff which would really help the board.

Hopefully we can get it back on track rather than talk about drugs and sumo, etc.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:
it’s a shame this thread has gone to shit and looks like getting worse.

There was the possibility that top guys like frankjl would post stuff which would really help the board.

Hopefully we can get it back on track rather than talk about drugs and sumo, etc.[/quote]

Frankjl did post and then was trolled by questioning the OP’s dedication or methods for lack of a better word.

As of late, even the powerlifting forums have had an influx of people that suck similar to the bodybuilding forums that seem to derail threads at every chance.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:

[quote]pbclax1 wrote:

[/quote]

Your logic is odd…you say you’re fine with wide stance squatting which is essentially shortening the ROM yet you are against arching and sumo because it shortens the ROM…[/quote]
Do I prefer wide stance squat to narrow stance? no. but it’s fine to use it. I don’t care if someone uses sumo stance, wide, huge arch. Just don’t be a little bitch about it when someone disagrees with it. I don’t like the stances that shortens the ROM because that makes the lift easier. That’s my opinion and I doubt it’ll ever change.

[quote]burt128 wrote:

Both were drug tested. [/quote]

Lots of ways to pass drug tests. Olympic athletes do it all the time. I’m sorry, but i just can’t respect someone that uses steroids and tries to pass off that they’re natural. If they admit it that’s fine.

[quote]burt128 wrote:

Lots of ways to pass drug tests. Olympic athletes do it all the time. I’m sorry, but i just can’t respect someone that uses steroids and tries to pass off that they’re natural. If they admit it that’s fine.
[/quote]

So you throw into doubt absolutely every record that has ever been set in powerlifting that is tested and it would appear every record in the Olympics?

[quote]burt128 wrote:

[/quote]
So what you’re saying is … if you juiced your brains out, you’d dwarf Ed’s numbers because you were cheating more? Interesting.

[quote]pbclax1 wrote:

[/quote]

Your logic is odd…you say you’re fine with wide stance squatting which is essentially shortening the ROM yet you are against arching and sumo because it shortens the ROM…[/quote]
Do I prefer wide stance squat to narrow stance? no. but it’s fine to use it. I don’t care if someone uses sumo stance, wide, huge arch. Just don’t be a little bitch about it when someone disagrees with it. I don’t like the stances that shortens the ROM because that makes the lift easier. That’s my opinion and I doubt it’ll ever change.[/quote]

I take it your against ever using anything but squats, deadlift, and bench to train and that any variations that would help build the lift are just “bitch lifts”.

Don’t be so fucking close-minded.[/quote]

In powerlifting it is about lifting the most weight within the constraints of the federation rules - i.e. tested, non tested, wraps no wraps (all this in terms of raw obviously).

You tell people to not be close-minded yet in saying you won’t arch and those that do are cheaters (plenty of good lifters without an arch - just using this as an example) or the OP saying that he won’t sumo - when in reality it may be a great assistance lift for his conventional deadlift is simply “close-minded”.

The OP claims he wants to be an elite lifter, yet he outright refuses to look at some of the tried and true methods of doing so. This is as inane as some 150 lb kid going to the bodybuilding forum saying he wants to be a pro level IFBB bodybuilder but only wants to “lean gain” and never lose his six pack. I think we’ve both seen that happen before and both know where that leads…to a lot of crushed dreams and excuses as to why they never accomplished them.

[/quote]

I can reach my goals without doing sumo lifts. I can meet my goals without weighing 295. Yes, I am refusing sumo lifts, because I don’t want to get there that way, if you got there that way, then awesome. I’ve added over 450 pounds to my total since the end of last year, and there are some things I’m not willing to do to add to that. The next 450 pounds I add to my total will also be without doing sumo lifts.

But that doesn’t matter, I didn’t say I didn’t like sumo to turn this into a big trolling flame thread, I thought if I said the things I did and didn’t want, it would narrow things down. There’s no point in someone typing out a one hundred word post on their sumo lifting experience, cause I’m really not interested in that.

Everyone has their own goals and their own ways to get there. I’m open to things, some things I’m not. Why not just encourage me, instead of telling me I’m not dedicated, like that one guy. A lot of people never even get to a 400+ squat, I know that isn’t much for this site, but this site makes up a small percent of people. My point is, the gains I have made so far show I’m dedicated, just because I have my preferences, doesn’t mean I can’t reach my goals.